Suggestion:what is needed is a searchable ebike buyers list

Hanslowmo

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Yorkshire
I am not a programmer or database expert or id have a bash at it myself but as far as i can tell there arent too many manufacturers which supply to uk so why doesnt someone create an ebike list with manufacturer, type(eg folding), model, year, rrp, gears, motor, brakes, battery wh, battery ah, etc and make it searchable so someone can pick the options they want eg bosch motor, deore xt and it brings up a list of all ebikes which meet the requirements with a link to each manufacturers website. It would make choosing which ebike you would like so much easier with you being able to fine tune the selection.
It could be a long term project with photos and compare all details of the ebikes when your chosen selection comes up kind of like a self contained website or as simple as just a list of the names of all the ebikes which apply when you have chosen.
I reckon it would be very popular and well used.
I know there is a list but it doesnt have all the bikes and isnt searchable,ie u have to troll through it unless there is another.

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
This will be a major part of the new Pedelecs site launching in a few months. Bike dealers will be able to upload and update all their bikes directly.

Hanslowmo

Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2013
Yorkshire
This will be a major part of the new Pedelecs site launching in a few months. Bike dealers will be able to upload and update all their bikes directly.
Sounds like it will be quite good. Will it be a database (searchable) or more like a catalogue with most if not all the uk (or eu) marketed ebikes? Only playing devils advocate here but it sounds like it runs the risk of going out of date if the information enterer isnt just 1 person.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
... and will also be limited to just subscribed Trade Members rather than reflect the whole market. There is an up-side to this though - in that dodgy sellers of dodgy bikes will likely be screened out to some extent (provided Pedelecs introduce some quality standard checks on both), but nonetheless it's likely that a bunch of market options will be missed out.

Perhaps that's the idea - if sellers want their bikes included then they need to sign up and cough up :p

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Sounds like it will be quite good. Will it be a database (searchable) or more like a catalogue with most if not all the uk (or eu) marketed ebikes? Only playing devils advocate here but it sounds like it runs the risk of going out of date if the information enterer isnt just 1 person.
A bit of both. Appearance-wise the bike directory will most likely look more like an ecommerce site but there will be navigation down the left side of the screen to narrow down the choices based on certain factors.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
... and will also be limited to just subscribed Trade Members rather than reflect the whole market. There is an up-side to this though - in that dodgy sellers of dodgy bikes will likely be screened out to some extent (provided Pedelecs introduce some quality standard checks on both), but nonetheless it's likely that a bunch of market options will be missed out.

Perhaps that's the idea - if sellers want their bikes included then they need to sign up and cough up :p
All manufacturers will be able to upload their bikes for free. We will check them before going live though.

The directory will be linked to a dealer search and this is the commercial aspect where paying advertisers can place ads or get direct links to the product pages on their websites.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Ah - OK. So guess it's just down to how good the filters are as to how much drill-down people can do.

MS666

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 6, 2013
As a first time buyer i think this is a brilliant idea ! At the moment im trying to find my first ebike and finding it difficult going through suppliers websites to compare specs....The sooner this is ready the better!