Suggestions for cheapish first ebike

Sky

Just Joined
Feb 2, 2019
Hello,

I'm looking to buy my first ebike. I'm going to be starting a new job with a 16.5 mile round trip commute. I've cycled the commute when I worked there previously and found it too tiring to do the whole week - after 2 or 3 days I would cave and take public transport. Hence ebike. I'm after a dropped crossbar/step through bike with all the accessories already included. It's a flat commute apart from 2 railway bridges.

I don't have loads of money and I've been trying to avoid going above ~£860-900 if I can possibly avoid it. I understand that's quite a restrictive budget.

Another complication is I'm 5 foot tall, and finding that lots of bikes I've looked at don't have a choice of frame size.

I currently cycle a very basic Giant hybrid, which I have had since 2008 and love. It has a 17inch frame and dropped crossbar.

Bikes I've looked at so far are:
-B'Twin Elops 500E - £650 - but the battery is half the size of others I've been looking at
-Pendelton Somerby-E - £750 - but really put off by the lack of integrated lights (!), slightly smaller battery and a few reviews complaining about broken spokes etc - although maybe that's normal for ebikes
-B'Twin Original 900E - £750 - but looks like it has a lot of suspension?
-Kudos Verona/Milano - £865 - love this one but only comes in 18" frame
-Kudos Sprint - £865 - definite potential, bit sad it's not as pretty as some of the others though
-Kudos Liberty - £795 - also 18" frame and put off by the weight

Any other suggestions for models to look at or thoughts on the ones I've picked out?

I'm also vaguely considering an electric push scooter for this commute as the cycle route is mostly pavement paths anyway, if anyone has any opinions on them.

Thanks a lot.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
How about a Raleigh Array? People like them and on special offer here https://www.evanscycles.com/raleigh-array-e-lowstep-2018-electric-hybrid-bike-EV277556?1=-1,esvcrea:316730225492,esvplace:,esvd:m,esvtg:aud-581384346386:pla-303260398688,esvo:EV277556-M-LBLU,esvaid:50080&1=-1&lsft=esvt:60810-GOUKE5117294,esvq:,esvadt:999999-0-1357008-1&esvwa=NISO_Electric Hybrid Bikes_Raleigh_2018_Normal&esvwa=NISO_Electric Hybrid Bikes_Raleigh_2018_Normal&esvwc=UK_Shopping_PR-M_Electric Bikes_Electric Hybrid Bikes&esvwc=UK_Shopping_PR-M_Electric Bikes_Electric Hybrid Bikes&esvt=60810-GOUKE5117294&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1357008-1&esvcrea=316730225492&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=aud-581384346386:pla-303260398688&esvo=EV277556-M-LBLU&esvwm=CPC&esvws=Google&esvwt=&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8vlsuyd4AIVTLTtCh2FEA17EAQYAyABEgIdSvD_BwE#modal__product-zoom-modal

Reactions: Sky

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You could consider converting your Giant. For example, the Woosh front XF07 would be easy to fit and should do the job. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf07kit
If you don't fancy fitting it yourself you could probably get it fitted locally for around £50-75; it would still be a lot cheaper than a new bike, and you know the fit would be good.

Sky

Just Joined
Feb 2, 2019
How about a Raleigh Array? People like them and on special offer here https://www.evanscycles.com/raleigh-array-e-lowstep-2018-electric-hybrid-bike-EV277556?1=-1,esvcrea:316730225492,esvplace:,esvd:m,esvtg:aud-581384346386:pla-303260398688,esvo:EV277556-M-LBLU,esvaid:50080&1=-1&lsft=esvt:60810-GOUKE5117294,esvq:,esvadt:999999-0-1357008-1&esvwa=NISO_Electric Hybrid Bikes_Raleigh_2018_Normal&esvwa=NISO_Electric Hybrid Bikes_Raleigh_2018_Normal&esvwc=UK_Shopping_PR-M_Electric Bikes_Electric Hybrid Bikes&esvwc=UK_Shopping_PR-M_Electric Bikes_Electric Hybrid Bikes&esvt=60810-GOUKE5117294&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1357008-1&esvcrea=316730225492&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=aud-581384346386:pla-303260398688&esvo=EV277556-M-LBLU&esvwm=CPC&esvws=Google&esvwt=&esvaid=50080&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm8vlsuyd4AIVTLTtCh2FEA17EAQYAyABEgIdSvD_BwE#modal__product-zoom-modal

Thanks, hadn't spotted this one was reduced at Evans! Battery is a little smaller than on the Kudos bikes though, just not sure how big a battery I need...

You could consider converting your Giant. For example, the Woosh front XF07 would be easy to fit and should do the job. http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?hubkits#xf07kit
If you don't fancy fitting it yourself you could probably get it fitted locally for around £50-75; it would still be a lot cheaper than a new bike, and you know the fit would be good.
Thanks, will think about it. The problem is my bike is looking a bit the worse the wear so I'm worried about putting too much money into it. And I have been wanting a chain guard and dynamo lights anyway.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
8 or 10ah will do 16.5 mile trip though it is often best to buy a bike with as much capacity you can afford (capacity is ah or wh) . 10ah = 360wh @ 36v. The larger the battery capacity the greater the range and also bike weight but also less worry about range anxiety and unassisted riding.
As a battery ages then the ah/wh reduces so range is affected usually after a couple years of use.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Work out your public transport costing over a year then see how much you can save by using a e-bike regularly, likelihood is that within a year & a half you will be in profit just a case of the initial outlay in the first place.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
This might fit you and top end of your budget & ready to go for commuting, it is similar retro style to the Kudos bikes with the advantage of larger tyres idea to soak up a few bumps if you don't run psi to high.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa

Don't worry about the fact that it is mail order only as Woosh have superb credentials on the forum and are A1 when it comes to spares/repairs and after service.
Give them a call to discuss size/fitting as they are very helpful and won't sell you a bike if they feel it is wrong for you. They are in Southend if you can get there.

Also don't get hung up about bike weight most bikes are in the 25kg area and with electric power the disadvantages are less.

Last edited:

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I would have thought that battery would be fine for your needs. I have a Motus Grand Tour (which I know is meant to be the efficient crank motor) with a 400aH battery. I have never dropped below 60 miles range. I predominantly use the Tour level of assist (the 2nd of the four available to me). Given the nature of your commute and the fact that you cycle already and will not be relying on all the assist the motor has to offer, I would be shocked and disappointed if any bike with a 300aH battery let you down.

Now in the unlikely event you overdid things on a school night and felt worse for wear one morning, you could always have a lazy max assist ride into work and take the charger with you?

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
Thanks, will think about it. The problem is my bike is looking a bit the worse the wear so I'm worried about putting too much money into it. And I have been wanting a chain guard and dynamo lights anyway.
If you're mechanically minded I second the kit option for that budget, but before you begin go along to a friendly bike shop and have it serviced and get opinions for fitting your longed for chain guard and dynamo light They will soon tell you if the bike is unsuitable for conversion, trust me it needs to be STRONG and cyclotricity insist on suspension on the forks too. You know with most pannier mount batteries you will get a rear light anyway?

If you're not mechanically minded you could ask them if they will fit a conversion kit - I suspect the answer will be a definite NO.

as for battery size, I have a a 568Wh brand new unit and can easily manage 50 miles range, even with a few "treats" of sport setting on tough hills. So for that commute I would suggest 500 is enough, so long as you are OK with charging every three days or so, you may get more if the route has few hills.

Last, but not least, consider buying second hand at that budget. I was lucky enough to pick up my KTM Macina from my bike shop for £500, and although I have had to spend almost as much on a new battery to satisfy myself with range, I still have a great E-bike for under a grand - which is something that's hard to manage to be frank.

Good Luck!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The op is limited on budget second hand is not for her, Sky needs new with warranty from a so-so dealer like Halfrauds or Evans or backup of knowledgeable/experienced seller. I would be inclined to go with one who doesn't fob you off and has more ebike knowledge so Kudos or Woosh. Somehow I don't see a kit being the option for her.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
This might fit you and top end of your budget & ready to go for commuting, it is similar retro style to the Kudos bikes with the advantage of larger tyres idea to soak up a few bumps if you don't run psi to high.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?crusa
I agree with your positive comments about Woosh, but the Crusa is a little large. It suggests 'For riders 5ft5 and above (5ft5 - 6ft4).' and the poster is 5ft. 2 or 3 inches difference would probably be OK, but 5" is a bit too much. The Petite would be good, but quite a bit above budget at £1050.

Paul Wrighton

Pedelecer
Aug 6, 2018
OH! I just realised, sounds like you work at a school.... I should highly suspect they will support you in the "cycle to work" scheme, in which case you can effectively buy a new E-bike for HALF the price! That sorts all your budget issues at a stroke and makes purchase financially painless to boot!

I do hope this option works out for you!

Enjoy your new budget and I hope this leads to the bike of your dreams!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can effectively buy a new E-bike for HALF the price!
Not as much discount as that.
The most advantageous schemes are self administered schemes, your employer buys the bike and pass on to you all the benefit of the scheme. You save about 40% compared to paying out of your take home pay.
Most scheme providers levy about 10% charge from the client through end of lease buyout and 10%-15% to the suppliers which frontload their cost onto your purchase. You typically saves about 25% compared to buying with your own cash.
I work with the following scheme providers:

Cycleplus
Bike2work
Salary Exchange
Salary Extra
Cycle Solutions

Sky

Just Joined
Feb 2, 2019
Thank you all very much. Lots to think about. To answer some specific points raised:

-Not a school but it is an employer that has a cycle to work scheme, I think. However I'm a bit nervous because I might well be there less than a year and so if they don't give me a reasonable buy out price then I suppose I would have to lose the bike and the payments I'd already made.
-Would love to go second hand but I don't feel I know enough about the bikes available and the height thing adds complication too. If I see something I recognise I will snap it up.
-This is my current bike. I love it dearly but I don't know if it's wise to add £600 of components to it.

I think I might see if I can test ride the Raleigh in an Evans shop and then consider going out to Southend or Kent for Woosh/Kudos.

Aren't the Kudos better value than the Raleigh with the bigger batteries? Or is the big company name worth paying for?

Now in the unlikely event you overdid things on a school night and felt worse for wear one morning, you could always have a lazy max assist ride into work and take the charger with you?
Now this is why I need an ebike :D

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
With your budget I would not worry too much about the name on the bike, as often that is all it is. The Raleigh name for instance, is owned by Derby Cycles, a huge German company who own several brands. I would make good CS, decent battery capacity and hydraulic brakes my priorities, which are often all offered by the smaller companies at an affordable price.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the Sahara has 700C (28 inch) wheels, not a good fit for small riders. Its 7AH battery is also a bit low
The Kudos Sprint has 24" wheels, better battery, is nicer to ride and also lighter.
You may want to replace the saddle with a sprung saddle.
How much does the bus fare cost per year?

https://www.kudoscycles.com/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=349

Kevin Smith

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2014
My wife who is 5' tall has a Freego Wren (Freego are out of business I know) which is a 24" wheel She's a confident rider whos had several ebikes and finds that wheel size a lot easier to manage than 26" wheels given the extra weight of an ebike

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tony your site has a pic of a lady on a Crusa and it says she is 5' - 2", it likely that it will suit a 5ft rider ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Tony your site has a pic of a lady on a Crusa and it says she is 5' - 2", it likely that it will suit a 5ft rider ?
No, I have already moved the saddle to the lowest setting.
The additional problem is short aged ladies don't like tiptoeing. A few even insist to have both feet anchored at stops.