Suggestions for Cycle Route Planner ?

ArthurG

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2021
Komoot's the one I use. You can plan on the PC and have the route on your phone. It will record your distance and vertical range as you cycle, even if you haven't planned a route. It works for me. I lashed out
£13 or so on the complete maps when there was a special offer. Otherwise free, gratis and for nothing.

Reactions: Artstu

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I use OsmAnd on a small Android tablet which I can attach to the handlebars when exploring.
The maps based on openstreetmaps and are excellent - somewhat clearer than OS maps for navigation - and can show an overlay of cycle routes both on- and off-road.
The maps are stored on the device, so no comms problems.
You can plan a route easily and for on-road journeys it will also calculate altitude graphs for the route. It also does accurate trip recording (better than Google timeline!).
Best of all - you can use it for free with all the useful functions and without any adverts.
The paid version allows you to add more maps. A lifetime subscription is only a bit more than one year's worth of OS Maps, or pay yearly at about £6.99

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
In case of low signal, I have OsMand - I like it because it's possible to define many waypoints to plan a route, when auto routing doesn't avoid large dangerous roundabouts, and also because it's free maps are much larger than Koomoot's, which are too small for my commuting needs.

Last edited:

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
I use Bikemap on an old iPhone 6s Plus which is held in a QuadLock case.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I use Bikemap on an old iPhone 6s Plus which is held in a QuadLock case.
@soundwave's Samsung phone screen was broken by one of those. A vibration dampener is available, if you don't already have one:

Last edited:

Chainmale

Pedelecer
May 13, 2020
Being an old fashioned sort I just have the relevant paper OS map in my bag. It has the big advantage of not being a distraction while on the move.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Being an old fashioned sort I just have the relevant paper OS map in my bag. It has the big advantage of not being a distraction while on the move.
Me too.

I grew up in an era that when you went cycling or walking you always had a map and compass plus change for the phone.

You can still read the map when the phones battery is dead.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Me too. I have a Carradice handlebar bag that has a kind of polypocket clip on top. Takes a folded map which generally displays the area you need (unless you're Mathewslack on one of his sojourns). Does mean I have to stop and put on my glasses to read it, but I'd have to do that with a phone anyway.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Another vote for cycle.travel to plan routes and then export the gpx files to komoot for turn by turn navigation. Been using this combo for the last few years and it's served me well.
As mentioned, Komoot lifetime worldwide maps can be had for sub £20 when on offer

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As mentioned, Komoot lifetime worldwide maps can be had for sub £20 when on offer
I'd buy it if there was also a "Avoid canals" option next to the "Avoid large dangerous roundabouts" option, which it also doesn't have. Canals are full of weird people, dogs and rats, with more rats in long dark canal tunnels. I've done mountain descents less bumpy than some canal paths - I'd rather brave the ever increasing road potholes.

Takes a folded map which generally displays the area you need (unless you're Mathewslack on one of his sojourns).
I'm pretty sure @matthewslack navigates using the sun and a theodolite.

Last edited: