Help! Suggestions for small folding ebike

haych_02

Just Joined
May 9, 2024
So its summer so thinking to buy a small folding ebike as i live in a flat 2nd floor and would be difficult getting a bike up the stairs (4 flights of stairs)

I'm looking for a folding ebike with a screen mount to show how much range and battery I've got
Max budget £600,long range,easy to fold,easy to carry,suspension back and front I've been looking at a few but not sure if they are good for example the engwe t14 but only has 1 year warranty and I've heard some bad reviews also I prefer thumb throttle if possible

Don't mind the tyres (fat or normal)

Thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
engwe t14 looks like some weight to carry up stairs.
Bike Weight: 22.7 kg (49.9 lbs) Gross Weight: 31.7 kg (67.9 lbs)
I'm not sure why the difference is so big, the battery might make 5kg difference.

I'm afraid you'll have difficultly finding anything decent at £600.

Suspension on a cheap bike is likely to be pretty heavy and not all that effective.

You don't say what kind of riding you'll be doing, and how much work you expect to put in and how much you'll rely on the motor.

haych_02

Just Joined
May 9, 2024
engwe t14 looks like some weight to carry up stairs.
Bike Weight: 22.7 kg (49.9 lbs) Gross Weight: 31.7 kg (67.9 lbs)
I'm not sure why the difference is so big, the battery might make 5kg difference.

I'm afraid you'll have difficultly finding anything decent at £600.

Suspension on a cheap bike is likely to be pretty heavy and not all that effective.

You don't say what kind of riding you'll be doing, and how much work you expect to put in and how much you'll rely on the motor.
I wanted to use it for short journey for example to the supermarket as asda is like 15 mins away from me also what brand should I look out for as I've never bought a folding bike before but I've had my own mouth bike conversion kit(mid drive)

Currently just looking out for a long range folding bike with ssuspension and wanted to use full throttle on the motor

haych_02

Just Joined
May 9, 2024
I wanted to use it for short journey for example to the supermarket as asda is like 15 mins away from me also what brand should I look out for as I've never bought a folding bike before but I've had my own mouth bike conversion kit(mid drive)

Currently just looking out for a long range folding bike with ssuspension and wanted to use full throttle on the motor
Also should I buy used ebikes from ebay or Facebook market place or is that like a no no

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Your budget isn't sufficient, but if you can increase it, you could convert a full suspension Dahon Jetstream like @saneagle did here:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/electric2011-dahon-jetstream-p8.10584/

...or you could do a 250W Bafang BBS01B conversion:

However, I've never ridden a Jetstream, so have no idea if it's full suspension is any good. Plus finding spare parts for the Jetstream's suspension could well be a nightmare. I hope other members can suggest a folding bike for conversion, which has good suspension. Otherwise, perhaps settle for converting a folding bike with really thick tyres?

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
My own folding bike, a Brompton, is actually easier to carry up stairs when unfolded.

You hook the saddle nose over you shoulder and its no problem at all to walk up stairs.