Summer expeditions?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Are any others planning tours over the summer holidays? We are going to be taking our Kalkhoff Sahel Compacts on the train to London and cycling back home (Devon/Cornwall border) - a trip of about 350 miles over 6 days. Previously we did the same but only to Bristol. John O'Groats next year?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Just back from this trip, averaging 60 miles a day. 75 miles on the longest day but today's 58 miles across Exmoor into a strong westerly wind was the hardest. A few pictures of iconic places on the way.
Clifton Suspension Bridge Small.jpg Tarr Steps Small.jpg Windsor Castle Small.jpg

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Wow that's really impressive!
Thanks for posting and lovely pictures too.
During my 26 mile daily work commute I have thought about Ebike touring but dismissed it as not practical with current battery distances.
Your making it work has made me rethink the idea.
Very well done!
Barry.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
This has the basis of a brilliant story. There are more questions than answers.
Where are you going to recharge?

Where and what will you eat?

Sleep?

What will you carry with you?

What back-up plans do you have?

I am sure we would all like to know.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
For our trip we used 15Ah batteries on our Kalkhoffs which lasted us for about 50 miles. We had a spare battery for the four days we did over 50 miles. We stayed overnight in a mixture of B&Bs, hotels and pubs so charging was no problem. We carried a reasonable toolkit and spares for punctures etc but were fortunate not to need to use any of them; this despite some fairly rough surfaces on canal towpaths and the like. Waterproof gear took up quite a bit of space. Other than that it was a few clothes, battery charger, phone charger, camera and maps. Although we thought we didn't take much it still weighed quite a bit.

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Thanks for the update. On any road trip, one has to strike a balance regarding what to carry. Waterproofs are essential. I find a light all in one suit designed for motorcycling works well. My philosophy would be to carry a minimum, and have someone who can fetch you home if all else fails. A few quid in cash can often buy you out of trouble. A list of local bike shops on or near your route would help. I really hope you enjoyed the trip.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
DSCF1900.jpg

This was our trip on the Isle of Muck. No ebikes this time just old fashioned leg power :(

DSCF1706.jpg
DSCF1714.jpg

www.m1rek.co.uk