Sunday Times 'Top Five Electric Bikes'

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The top five electric bicycles - Times Online

Once again the Go Cycle gets the top prize - I don't get it. Maybe they don't get it either, as I quote "The Cytronex can be ridden fast — but is this what electric-bike buyers are looking for?". Er yes, some of us are.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Interesting that neither of the most popular (Wisper or Kalkhoff) bike families get a mention. I can imagine a lot of GoCycles being bought but getting little use. But that's marketing :rolleyes:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I agree. Not including a panasonic motored electric bike is a glaring omission but not many people understand what a good electric bike is anyway. The comments are interesting, one about the lack braking regeneration - no point on a bicycle - and the usual "they are too expensive". If I could be bothered I would leave a comment about the lack of Kalkhoff etc. Then again I am quite pleased they included the Cytronex. Maybe Mark Searles is quite good a marketing too.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Best Bikes

It was disappointing they did not ask for a Wisper Bike to test and obviously the Kalkhoff wasn't invited or they would have been up there too.

Can't complain though its nice to see the others getting a bit of publicity, all good for ebike sales.

I must say I really don't get the Go Bike though, has anyone had a go, is it any good? I wanted to have a go at the bike show but they would not let me as I was too heavy!! :D

All the best David

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
i tried the bike at the cycle show i enjoyed it i thought it was a really good product also it must be the only electric bike i have watched on ebay that has sold for more than retail price even if was only £20

jim

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
I find the whole concept of the Top 5 best electric bikes a bit daft. Horses for courses as they say. Much too complex a subject for the press.:rolleyes:
I agree Harry the lack of a Panasonic is a glaring omission.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Can't win 'em all! We were in the Times last year

Test Bench: Electric bikes - Times Online

Anyone doing serious research ends up finding the good stuff pretty quickly.

Good to see support for the folding Izip Via Mezza Enlightened in the comments though - it's a really effective electric folder, something we've been looking for since the Quando.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Shame they didn't do some serious research then Tim! :D

All the best David
I presume research amounted to shuffling press releases into the right order in this case. Looks that way ;)