Sunlova/8Fun pedelec sensor

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi Guys

I need a bit of help.

When arranging for the delivery of a new battery from sunlova I also ordered the controller which allows the fitting of a pedelec sensor (double hall sensor) see king-meter (the old controller had a very strange sensor that was impossible to fit). The new controller came with a dashboard (3 power mode) and a thumb throttle.

When I connected everything up I was disappointed to discover that nothing worked. The dashboard has a button to switch from pedelec sensor to the throttle. Nothing worked in either mode:(

So I dismantled everything and built it up again slowly to ensure that the connections were ok.

I discovered that when I connect the battery, controller and the thumb throttle only - everything works fine - good news to a point.

However when I connect the pedelec sensor again neither the throttle nor the sensor works!

The sensor has an led which I imagine should come on when connected but doesn't. Before I get back to sunlova I'd like to have some idea as to whats going on.

Is it the controller or the sensor that's causing the problem? It could either or both of course but maybe someone has come across this problem before.

I'd appreciate any help.

John

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
If you disconnect the throttle and just use the pedelec sensor does it work?

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi NRG - thanks.

No unfortunately when I disconnect the throttle the sensor doesn't work.

In case I've put it together wrong this is how it looks on the bike.

Its a bit frustrating as I had to buy a new bottom bracket (122.5mm) and a new chainwheel (alivio 48/38/28) so that the sensor could fit.

John

Attachments

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
It does sound like the sensor is the problem. But, though this sounds daft, try rotating the disk in the other direction, as though back-pedalling.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
It does sound like the sensor is the problem. But, though this sounds daft, try rotating the disk in the other direction, as though back-pedalling.
Thanks - I tried that as well but unfortunately it didn't work. I'm also inclined to think that the sensor is the problem but I have a niggling feeling that the controller is gone or that part of the circuit that deals with the sensor and the connection to the dashboard.

John

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The sensor itself may need flipping over. The sensors are designed to respond with either a North or South magnetic force but then they also respond in one direction only.

I had to do this on my Alien when I replaced the controller. If it still wont work then there must be something wrong with the wiring.

Last edited:

andyh2

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2008
I'm part way through fitting my 8fun kit. I put the pedal sensor on the left non drive side. First fitting resulted in it working, but only when back pedalling, as I hadn't allowed for swapping sides. So if it doesn't work forward or backwards pedalling then it sounds like there is something wrong.

I've now changed it so the actual sensor part is mounted upside down on the bracket, by drilling one of the screw holes to take the little red light and accepting just one screw to hold it on instead of 2 (with a bit of tape as well!) and it now works fine. I couldn't drill another complete screw hole as I don't have the proper drill bit. It was actually quite simple once I'd worked it out, but it took me a while to think it through :rolleyes:

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
"The sensor itself may need flipping over. The sensors are designed to respond with either a North or South magnetic force but then they also respond in one direction only.

I had to do this on my Alien when I replaced the controller. If it still wont work then there must be something wrong with the wiring".

I'll give that a go tomorrow - can't face taking the chainwheel off again today!!

Thanks

John

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I'm part way through fitting my 8fun kit. I put the pedal sensor on the left non drive side. First fitting resulted in it working, but only when back pedalling, as I hadn't allowed for swapping sides. So if it doesn't work forward or backwards pedalling then it sounds like there is something wrong.

I've now changed it so the actual sensor part is mounted upside down on the bracket, by drilling one of the screw holes to take the little red light and accepting just one screw to hold it on instead of 2 (with a bit of tape as well!) and it now works fine. I couldn't drill another complete screw hole as I don't have the proper drill bit. It was actually quite simple once I'd worked it out, but it took me a while to think it through :rolleyes:

Thanks Andy - very nice mod on the sensor:)

I suspect though that there is, as you say, something more wrong.

John

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Solved!

Hey Guys

Anna from Sunlova/8fun came back with a suggestion to reverse the wiring on the sensor. Its turns out that the connectors, while they fitted together, actually connected the red wire to the black wire and vice a versa. So I snipped the wires, reversed the connections (soldered the connections and covered with heat shrink sleeves - looks like new:)) and hey presto it worked!

Quote from NRG "I had to do this on my Alien when I replaced the controller. If it still wont work then there must be something wrong with the wiring".

Spot on NRG!​

Glad to have this sorted - I don't have to keep my right hand locked to the throttle anymore!

John

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Nice one John, now go for a ride! :D

jocu3

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 12, 2011
Hello

My first post, greeting to all! Sorry to bring up old thread, but this was nearest what I could find regarding my problem. I got 8funbike 26" kit this week and installed motor,battery,controller,dashboard and thumb throttle. Breaks and pedelec sensor are not yet connected. When I press power on dashboard, leds make initial flash, but after that dasboard does not work. If I press the swithc-button (which should select throttle-mode), nothing happens. Any ideas what may be wrong. I have been in contact with 8funbike, and the have been very helpfull and promised to send me new dashboard. Still I hope it would be something simple to solve without new parts. Or could it be the controller which is defecet. It does not matter if throttle is connected or not, dashboard does not work.

I made a small video: 08112011031 - YouTube . In this video throttle is not connected. Does anyone know if the dashboard should work with only motor and battery connected to the controller? I think at least battery indicator leds should work.

The battery looks to be fine. First load took a longer time before charger led turned from red to green, and the battery indicator on the battery itself shows 100% capacity.

Cheers

Hi Guys

I need a bit of help.

When arranging for the delivery of a new battery from sunlova I also ordered the controller which allows the fitting of a pedelec sensor (double hall sensor) see king-meter (the old controller had a very strange sensor that was impossible to fit). The new controller came with a dashboard (3 power mode) and a thumb throttle.

When I connected everything up I was disappointed to discover that nothing worked. The dashboard has a button to switch from pedelec sensor to the throttle. Nothing worked in either mode:(

So I dismantled everything and built it up again slowly to ensure that the connections were ok.

I discovered that when I connect the battery, controller and the thumb throttle only - everything works fine - good news to a point.

However when I connect the pedelec sensor again neither the throttle nor the sensor works!

The sensor has an led which I imagine should come on when connected but doesn't. Before I get back to sunlova I'd like to have some idea as to whats going on.

Is it the controller or the sensor that's causing the problem? It could either or both of course but maybe someone has come across this problem before.

I'd appreciate any help.

John

D

Deleted member 4366

Could you take a photo which shows all the connections at the controller? could you lay them out so that we can see clearly which is which? I suspect that it's a connection problem rather than parts.

jocu3

Aug 12, 2011
I can take a photo later, but it is almost impossible to connect something wrong as all the connectors are different in this kit, it is possible to connect cables only one way. I also think that there may be connection problem, but if it exists, it must be break in cable or bad connection.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
...but the actual pins of the connectors could be in the wrong place, especially the 3 or 4 way ones. Its happened before and if you post a picture maybe a mistake, if there, can be spotted...

D

Deleted member 4366

The phot will show the wiring to the controller. Just because the connectors are connected to matching connectors, doesn't me that you don't have a problem. I need to see how it's wired to diagnose the problem.
One other thing - just to eleiminate it from our enquiries: Is there an additional switch on the throttle?

The best way to upload photos is to make a Photobucket account, upload your photos to there, then select the photo and on the right side you'll see a box with the heading "Links". Click in the "img" box and it will copy a link which you can paste directly here to show the photo in full clarity. If you post the photo directly here, it won't be clear enough.

jocu3

Aug 12, 2011
Thanks for the replys! In fact it was wrong wiring. Seller had mixed the blue and the black cable coming from the motor to the controller. I first noticed it when I had taken the photos. This cable was the only one without connector at the end and I did not check it beacuse it was 'pre wired'.

I just made 2 km test ride, the motor worked nice and it is almost silent. Next job is to fit the pedelec sensor.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Great! Glad you found the problem.