Sunlova Controller

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Decided to do a little bit of movement on the bike with the controller setup etc.
Make it a little more stealth.

Any way I decided to take the controller araprt to find that the controller supplied was only rated at 6amp with a 13amp peak. :(

Possibly why Donna who I brought the kit of felt it wasn't that powerful.
On the other hand it means that I wasn't as unfit as what I thoguht previously :rolleyes:

Either way the weakest part in this kit was the controller for getting the max out othe setup.

Least I guess with this controller and standard setup your never really gonig to get a motor or battery failure from to much power / draw.

Also would mean extended battery life and range (As you'd have to pedal more) which is probably why when I ride the 18miles to work I only ever use up at best 3.4amp hrs and at worst 4.4amp hrs.

Not a masssive issue really as I have a complete kit coming soon with new controller motor etc. But what this controller will give me is if I ever decide to run an over volt version of the bafang 350w kit I can definetly keep the amp's quite low ;-)

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
Hi Scott

You sure love to tinker. Glad you are enjoying it anyway. Another kit on the way too.

you your done tinkering there are some great spots in brum and other near by spots of traffic free path ways out there.

ever tried?

The Greenway in Sratford 6miles

or more locally Harborne Walkway 2miles

but great spots to ride ebikes or any bike

both great early morning

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Looks like an LDSZ controller, same as the original fit on my Alien. You may be able to over volt but you should check the voltage rating of the capacitors and the Vds of the phase FETs first. Also if you overvolt the controller LVC won't be applicable to the new voltage IE: it wont protect the battery.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Quite correct NRG, I had a look at the caps as I opened it this morning too. Would b able to over volt but as you said you would have to be careful of the LVC as it would no longer get applicable.

However - Most decent batteries should have a LVC cut off anyway, and failing that I have a watt's up meter from Turnigy to check it.

I don't plan on over volting but have chosen a different wind in a bafang bpm motor to hopefully get what I want. But it willbe useful to have this controller as a spare should I need to keep amp's low.

D

Deleted member 4366

I just checked mine. It's marked 7amps as well. The one on on my Sunlova bike is the same, but marked 8 amps. I asked Sunlova about this but they said that they both provided the same power. We did a lot of side-by-side comparisons to see why the bike with the Kit was slower than the ready-made bike. I finally got another 8amp controller and it wa s still the same amount slower until we changed the back wheel. Then they were the same. My conclusion was that the 7A controller weasn't a lot different to the 8A one.

Anyway, it's possible to convert the controller to give more amps by running some solder up the shunt wire inside. You can find a lot of info and pictures on the Endless Sphere forum, or have a look at this. Scroll down to the photos:
Schwinn S-350 upgrades | V is for Voltage electric vehicle forum