sunlova help needed !!!!!

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
hello all i am wondering if anyone has had any experience with the sunlova e-bike kits? just fitted one to my claud butler a couple of days ago and the kit is usless it lacks any real power when in power assist mode and makes cycling harder work due to the motor drag and lack of power (if that makes sense) the thottle is not much better either and the only way to get some decent power is to open throttle fully and pedal ! the kit is a 36v /latest 8fun motor .i am told the lack of power may be down to the controller not letting enough power through or not being good enough.would be interested if anyone else has had the same problem or would appreciate any help or advise.
many thanks:

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
I had the sunlova kit & found it much the same, I put it down to the weight of much Dutch style ladies bike. I only found it powerful for the first 10 to 15 miles after charging.
However, there are a fair few folks on this forum that have the kit fitted to their bikes and they are very happy with the kit. Advice here is given very generously so Im sure someone will be able to help

On the other hand, sunlova are very reasonable folks and I'm sure they will be able to put you straight or refund you

Good luck

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi If you search the forum for sunlova there are lots of posts they do recommend the 48 volt kit as well

How much do you weigh it makes a big difference

or maybe it is just faulty

sunlova are very good give them a call

Frank

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
sunlova

hi, i weigh 90kg but have been using a friends powacycle which has a 200watt motor and 26v set up and this bike is fine on pedal assist mode

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
It should free wheel though and not drag. On my setup i really like it and have used it quite a bit.

Sounds like there may be a few issues with your setup. Have you tried any other bikes for comparison?

My setup use's a marin kentfield fs which weighs in at 13 kilo. Plus kit about 7kilo takes my bike to 20kg. Plus me 80kilos and i find it very easy to get about on.

Only issue i have is wanting it to assist past 15mph. Doing alot of digging shows you can run the motor quite safely at 48v to get higher speed and torque.

Or you could see about changing the controller to put through more amp's to help torque.

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
sunlova

it seems it may be the controller have read a few reviews which say the kit is not as powerful as the sunlova bikes , maybe the controller is set to low but as far as i am aware there is no way to adjust it.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
If you lift the wheel off the ground and operate the throttle does the motor spin up, if so what speed does it get to?

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I had problems with the battery recently and sunlova replaced both the battery and the controller. With the new setup the bike feels more powerful - 15/16 mph on throttle only ad 19/20 mph with medium pedalling in normal conditions (I'm a hefty 95kgs)

You should be getting similar performance - which version of the kit is it? I have the old version and wasnt able to fit pedelec sensor so I have no experience of pedal assist. The new version has 3 power modes - switch mounts on the handle bars.

As Donna mentioned sunlova respond well so if you're sure all your connections are good get in touch with them and they maybe able to suggest a solution.

John

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
If you lift the wheel off the ground and operate the throttle does the motor spin up, if so what speed does it get to?
Good point. Mine gets to 20.2 mph. You should be getting a similar speed stormb22 .

D

Deleted member 4366

The wheel should spin freely. Lift the wheel off the ground and spin it in each direction. When you turn it backwards, you should be able to feel the motor resistance, which is notchy. When you spin it forwards, it shouldn't be notchy. If it is, the clutch is jammed and needs to be fixed. If it's smooth, but with resistance, then it could be your brakes binding, or the seals and grease in the motor needs a bit of running in. I had my kit installed in a Claud Butler and it was noticeably slower than my ready-made Sunlova bike until I changed the tyres and the back wheel. Don't ask me what was wrong with the wheel - I changed the bearings and swapped the motor and controller with my other bike, but it was still slower. With the new tyres and wheel, they are now the same. The battery did take a few cycles to come up to full power. Normally, I would've been happy with the kit and it's power except that I did a side by side comparison and could see that it was slower, but not as much as you're saying, so there must be something wrong with yours somewhere. However, I did do some mods from the beginning: I reduced the length of the motor wires because they were miles too long and would reduce the power a bit. Also, I beefed up the wires to the switch in the battery box because they appeared to me too thin, which would also lose power. Is your kit the earlier one (like mine) with the thick pedal sensor, or the later one with the handlebar display and thin magnetic pedal sensor? Please do this test of spinning the wheel in both directions and report back.

daveread

Just Joined
Feb 7, 2011
The new version has 3 power modes - switch mounts on the handle bars.

John
Hi John,

I purchased a new electric bike from Sunlova (20" wheel - very low step through) for my Mom and she loves it!

The only switch we have is on the the battery pack. Pedelec mode seems to be on permanently and the throttle over rides it. We was actually expecting to have some kind of switch on the handle bars as you mentioned. I'm wondering if it was supposed to have this or if I can modify as its a bit tricky for mumsy to turn the power off at the battery switch - if she wishes to peddle without assist.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Dave

p.s. the only other problem we have is its almost too fast for her... it absolutely blasts up the hills!

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
I have to second / third the response by Sunlova, my kit has been great but now the controller is drawing too much current and has upset the BMS, they are replacing the battery and controller under warranty at five months old. Seems I will get an up grade on the controller as I have the thumb throttle.
Was getting 16 / 17 mph on a full battery - will report back when its back.

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi John,

The only switch we have is on the the battery pack. Pedelec mode seems to be on permanently and the throttle over rides it. We was actually expecting to have some kind of switch on the handle bars as you mentioned. I'm wondering if it was supposed to have this or if I can modify as its a bit tricky for mumsy to turn the power off at the battery switch - if she wishes to peddle without assist.

Very easy to modify. The power to the controller is cut by the switches in the brakes, so you only have to scrape back the insulation from the wires a couple of inches from the brake; solder on two additional wires and insulate them; then you can add any latching (stays on or off) push switch. You can buy propriety ones although they're not easy to find, or get one from Maplin or wherever and make your own bracket. Some ready-made ebikes have a light switch on the handlebars. You can cut the wires from the light and use it as an on-off switch for the controller using the above-mentioned method, and then put a new toggle switch on the light.

D

Deleted member 4366

Here's some photos of what I mean. The Wuxing switch is the original light switch. You can see the splice in the brake switch wire.The second photo shows the new toggle switch.

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
bought the kit about 7 months ago but just got round to completing it,it is the old kit with the thick sensor i had all sorts of problems trying to fit it . the motor runs smooth even with thottle if you ride using pedal asist and then open the throttle this gives better power , i've fixede a speedo to get some ideal of the cut off speed which seems to be around 11mph the kit performs more like a 180w motor

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi John,

I purchased a new electric bike from Sunlova (20" wheel - very low step through) for my Mom and she loves it!

Dave

p.s. the only other problem we have is its almost too fast for her... it absolutely blasts up the hills!
Hi Dave

Sunlova have moved on a bit in how their bikes are equipped and it seems there is no standard setup. When I got the new controller they gave me a new half-throttle which includes a switch to turn off the throttle - reverting to pedal assist only. The new throttle has six leads while the old one had four so they're not interchangeable.

d8veh's suggestion (neat job!) is a good idea if you are handy with a soldering iron.

John