sunlova kit packed up

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
hello all , i have a problem with my sunlova kit , the battery had just come off charge so was full however on the way home tonight the power failed and the battery gauge shot to red i checked the gauge on the battery and that was also red, having got home i put the battery on charge but the charger is showing green and the battery won,t charge this kit has been a right pain and has been nothing but trouble i know there is one or two of you that had problems with the sunlova batteries. have contacted sunlova and they say they have never come across this problem. any suggestions?

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi
Have you checked the battery fuse?
If you lost power suddenly maybe a fuse is involved...

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
Hi
Have you checked the battery fuse?
If you lost power suddenly maybe a fuse is involved...
yes checked fuse ok & red light works on the battery indicator, i had a power problem with this kit and i thought the controller was faulty as its useless in power assist mode and you only get decent power by using pedal assist and the throttle together range is not much better either about 16miles

D

Deleted member 4366

hello all , i have a problem with my sunlova kit , the battery had just come off charge so was full however on the way home tonight the power failed and the battery gauge shot to red i checked the gauge on the battery and that was also red, having got home i put the battery on charge but the charger is showing green and the battery won,t charge this kit has been a right pain and has been nothing but trouble i know there is one or two of you that had problems with the sunlova batteries. have contacted sunlova and they say they have never come across this problem. any suggestions?
Are you still able to ride the bike with power, while the battery indicator is red? Normally, as your battery goes flat, you start with red, orange and green, then orange and green, then red, then none when you lose all power. So red means 20% power remaining or about 33volts.
First thing: see if you can get hold of a voltmeter and measure the voltage at the battery terminals with it off the bike. This will give a big clue to what's wrong. It sounds like you've lost a cell from the battery - if that's possible. The voltmeter will confirm that.

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
there is no power at all whilst riding the battery seems to be completely dead apart form it showing red on the battery gauge (but not the handlebar gauge) one thing i did notice before the battery went dead was that the switch wouldn't turn the power off . i have checked all wires and connections and they are all good

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
really need a volt or multimeter to help narrow your problem down. If your battery indicator on the throttle isn't on then power isn't getting through.

Battery may have cut out, by shorting or even maybe one of the wires within the battery has blown or melted cutting the power.

Sunlova are usually quite helpful if you need assistance or replacement. Is the kit under warrenty?

D

Deleted member 4366

Assuming you havn;t already fixed them, it sound like it's those thin wires to the switch. You have to remove the bit that receives the battery from the rack ( 4 screws), take it apart by removing the 4 screws in the front so that you can pull it apart and get at the wires to the switch. I think you'll find that they've melted and have shorted out because the wire is too thin. Replace them with thicker (30amp) wire. For that you'll need to solder them with a sizeable soldering iron.

Anybody else with this kit (the older Sunlova one): Get them fixed!

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
wires already replaced john give me a heads up on that one , i don't think these batteries are that great anyway wondering if its worth getting a new battery but thats easier said than done!

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I think a trip to a decent dealer will enable you to quickly swap individual components to establish where the problem lies. Battery is an obvious first try, but this does sound a little more like a short, most likely in the controller. Remove all peripheral connections, brake handles, throttle, pedal sensor, and then connect each in turn, one at a time, brakes last. This may identify a faulty item, but I suspect the controller.
Good luck!

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
changed controller still the same checked battery and took for second option battery is faulty need to source new but want to get bigger one (around 10ah) interesting guy in shop says sunlova battery only is only 8ah ? can i just get new battery and change connectors on the kit?