Sunlova Kit

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
the sunlova kit was bought about 5 months ago so it has the old sensor and heavy rack. motor seems to run ok off the ground on throttle and assist mode if you ride with assist on and then use the throttle this gets the power assistance you should get, but without using the throttle the power assistance seems very little,(almost useless) john l i remember talking to you last year about sunlova kit and problem with sensor size ,you mentioned sunlova supplied you with new controller and sensor i would be interested to know what was wrong with the old one ?
if anyone else has had problems with this kit would be interested to know

donnoirf

Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2010
KINGS NORTON BIRMINGHAM
I had pressed sunlova over 2 months to find me an alternative sensor to the thick one, However after 1 alleged trip to china and various emails this was the response I got in January

My colleague did bring some of the new controllers back on 30th of January, but when we tested them we found it wouldn't work on the old version kits, and the factory is currently on chinese new year holiday (they will reopen on 10th),
we will get them sent us some correct ones after then.
Can you still use the current movement sensor?
really sorry about this!
regards
anna

Sunlova provide you with a new controller if you have to newer style battery as the original old kit controller does not work with the new style battery.
I think this is why John had to have a new battery.

I have a controller that matches/works with the old style kit. if you would like to try this out PM me

Regards

Donna

stormb22

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2010
not sure that the controller is faulty i just think that it does not let enough power through .i am currently waiting for reply from sunlova reguards this problem i only want to use kit for pedal assistance and and as it is at the moment that is useless . i did ask if they could supply me a new thin sensor but they it won't work with my controller.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Hi guys

As Donna mentioned I got a new controller and battery - this is my third battery. The first replacement was the new type battery with the switch built into the battery itself. It seems that this was not compatible with the original controller. So when that battery went they replaced the controller as well. So far so good - fingers crossed:)

I too have been talking to sunlova about a new sensor (I never managed to fit the original sensor - no room on the bottom bracket). I was also told that the thinner sensor won't work with the controller I have. However I noticed that the sunlova website (http://www.sunlova.com/Detail.aspx) now has a new version of the kit which includes a thinner sensor.

"•Intelligent LED dashboard comes with On/Off battery power button, Power level indication lights, Power assisted/Full power mode changing switch, Power assisted level control buttons (L,M,H) •Thumb level throttle, compatible with all twist gear shifters •Thin movement sensor has 12 speed sensing points, no power assisted for the first few seconds (so won't be scared at start) but more reliable and even power assisted afterwards"​

At the moment they don't have spare parts for this kit but they are expecting to get them in March. So I'm considering buying some of these features - a lot depends on the price as an ecrazyman setup may be better value.

John

D

Deleted member 4366

To make it clearer about the sensors and the controllers: The earlier kit had the thick optical sensor which gives a very different output to the later magnet sensor. Therefore the controller can't work without the sensor type that matches it, so contoller and sensor type go together as a pair The old thicker sensor does fit if you use the supplied long BB spindle and bearings, but you can't have a tripple chainwheel because it becomes too far offset. Using the optional LH sensor is't much help because you stiill need a long BB spindle, which is long on both sides and still offsets the chainwheel making it difficult for tripple ones.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I too have been talking to sunlova about a new sensor (I never managed to fit the original sensor - no room on the bottom bracket).
I swapped my chainring crank for a Shimano Acera crank on my Galileo a couple of years ago and there wasn't enough room for the sensor disk, so I swapped the bottom bracket from a 108mm to a 118mm. There was plenty of room for the sensor. Do you know what length BB you have currently?

[EDIT] Post crossed with D8veh's.

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
I've thought about replacing the BB but it seemed so much trouble. I also wondered about the chain alignment and D8veh has confirmed my fears.

Even with the magnetic sensor I might need to get a wider BB but I'll wait and see.

Having said that I recently took off the front derailleur and the left gear shifter so I haven't been using the triple crankset. I connected the brake cut-off to the rear brake and there wasn't enough space on the LH handlebar for everything. So I stripped off the gear shifter and left the chain on the middle chainwheel. This works well as 90% of the time I used the middle chainwheel anyway.

A kit brings many compromises:)

John

D

Deleted member 4366

With an ebike, you don't need a tripple chainwheel. I presently have a double 40-52, but I havn't yet needed to move the chain off the 52 one.

The thick Sunlova sensor will just fit on a 131mm BB spindle on the LHS. I can't remember if there's enough room on the RH side behind the chainwheel. I posted a modification a couple of weeks ago, which allows the sensor to occupy a lot less space, so with this mod it might be able to fit it on a BB about 10mm shorter. Fitting a new BB is a very easy job. You just need the special crank puller and BB tools and have to remember that one side of the BB has a left hand thread.
Icetoolz Bottom Bracket BB Tool (Shimano Fitment) NEW! on eBay (end time 05-Mar-11 19:21:37 GMT)
Bike cycle tool crank extractor remover puller pedal on eBay (end time 23-Mar-11 13:20:26 GMT)

Last edited by a moderator:

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
With an ebike, you don't need a tripple chainwheel. I presently have a double 40-52, but I havn't yet needed to move the chain off the 52 one.

The thick Sunlova sensor will just fit on a 131mm BB spindle on the LHS. I can't remember if there's enough room on the RH side behind the chainwheel. I posted a modification a couple of weeks ago, which allows the sensor to occupy a lot less space, so with this mod it might be able to fit it on a BB about 10mm shorter. Fitting a new BB is a very easy job. You just need the special crank puller and BB tools and have to remember that one side of the BB has a left hand thread.
Icetoolz Bottom Bracket BB Tool (Shimano Fitment) NEW! on eBay (end time 05-Mar-11 19:21:37 GMT)
Bike cycle tool crank extractor remover puller pedal on eBay (end time 23-Mar-11 13:20:26 GMT)

Thanks for that. I have a BB tool and a crank remover. Sunlova sent me an wider axle for the BB but I soon found out I have the cartridge type. Nearly did my head in trying to take the BB out. Left hand thread really confuses me when you're leaning over the saddle trying to get leverage :) Ended up tightening it:( but eventually worked it out.

I've spent quite a bit of money on up-grades and I have to ease off a bit. So it'll be minor upgrades for a while.

My middle chainwheel is 38 and the larger one is 48. I'm tempted to swap the 40/52 from my road bike but I'd also need a new chain (current chain too short for 52).

John