Suntour/Carrera Torque Sensor Problem

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Someone asked me to fix their Carrera Vengeance with Suntour HESC system showing E22 torque sensor mechanical problem. I took off the crank and cleaned the slots in the torque sensor and put it all back together. The sensor slots looked quite clean, so I'm not sure that's what's caused the issue. It could be the cable pulled, but again it looked OK. I've not had a chance to try it yet. I'll update tomorrow.

Anyway, what I want to report is a new issue with this torque sensor system. As you can see in the photo, the rubber seal between the moving parts has perished. Soon, it will be letting in a lot of dirt, which no doubt will affect the sensor. Also, it's causing a bit of rubbing, which means that there's a bit more resistance to pedalling:

Also, I've never seen one of these sensors without the lug broken off. What that means is that the inner part will rotate with the pedals until the remaining lug hits the stop or the cable becomes the new stop, and if you back-pedal, it'll rotate until that happens again. This is obviously not good for the cable, which is is tied down. A new sensor is about £35. I'm not sure how long they last. I'm not sure what causes it either. Maybe the inner seizes to the outer if you leave the bike in some conditions, then when you pedal, it gets snapped off.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They are right hand threaded on both sides (at least on all bikes I have come across), so unscrew anti-clockwise.

Pedals are threaded differently left and right as the pedal rotation directly interacts with the way the pedal is screwed onto the crank arm.