Suntour SP12 NCX suspension seatpost bargain!

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
After a bit of umming and ahing about whether a suspension seatpost is a worthy investment, and whether it should be a Thudbuster or a Suntour type, I found the Suntour on eBay for a great price. I pressed fire and it was delivered a few days ago.

After fitting and a few runs of approximately 40 miles in total, I conclude that it is a 100% worthy investment. Basically, where parts of my off-road rides were absolutely knacking my arse, the Suntour has properly smoothed the bumps out. For want of a better phrase, 'it's like riding on a magic carpet'

Anyway, for peeps who might like to grab a bargain while the geezer still has some in stock, the link is below. Your bottom will thank you for it :D

Suntour SP12 NCX Suspension Seatpost

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
After a bit of umming and ahing about whether a suspension seatpost is a worthy investment, and whether it should be a Thudbuster or a Suntour type, I found the Suntour on eBay for a great price. I pressed fire and it was delivered a few days ago.

After fitting and a few runs of approximately 40 miles in total, I conclude that it is a 100% worthy investment. Basically, where parts of my off-road rides were absolutely knacking my arse, the Suntour has properly smoothed the bumps out. For want of a better phrase, 'it's like riding on a magic carpet'

Anyway, for peeps who might like to grab a bargain while the geezer still has some in stock, the link is below. Your bottom will thank you for it :D

Good link. Prices for those were around the £50 mark a few months ago, but had really crept up.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester

I bought one for £51 from this ebay source some months ago, and it has been an excellent investment. I totally agree it transforms a saddle into an armchair. Wonderfully smooth ride. Wouldn't be without it now.

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
I bought one for £51 from this ebay source some months ago, and it has been an excellent investment. I totally agree it transforms a saddle into an armchair. Wonderfully smooth ride. Wouldn't be without it now.
Forgot to mention, I weigh in at 100kg, and the spring already installed was absolutely fine. Plenty cushioning, with no 'bottoming out' (awful pun).

Reactions: artspeck

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Just thought I'd post some info about the spring ratings. They come with the medium spring, so the blue or red spring needs to be purchased separately!

Aftermarket spring kit for NCX Seat Post

Soft blue spring is rated for 140lbs or less

Medium (stock) spring is rated for 140lbs to 180lbs

Hard red spring is rated for 180lbs or more

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Just thought I'd post some info about the spring ratings. They come with the medium spring, so the blue or red spring needs to be purchased separately!

Aftermarket spring kit for NCX Seat Post

Soft blue spring is rated for 140lbs or less

Medium (stock) spring is rated for 140lbs to 180lbs

Hard red spring is rated for 180lbs or more
I think there are other factors to consider, like how you sit on the saddle. I tried one on a normal MTB with slightly leaning forward position when I was 100kg. I guess it had the standard spring as it was a demo bike. It was absolutely perfect.

In fact, I didn't really look at the bike before I set off because I was only interested in how the motor worked. I was so impressed by the suspension that when I got back I looked to see what gas unit it had, only to discover that it wasn't a full-suspension bike.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think there are other factors to consider, like how you sit on the saddle. I tried one on a normal MTB with slightly leaning forward position when I was 100kg. I guess it had the standard spring as it was a demo bike. It was absolutely perfect.

In fact, I didn't really look at the bike before I set off because I was only interested in how the motor worked. I was so impressed by the suspension that when I got back I looked to see what gas unit it had, only to discover that it wasn't a full-suspension bike.
Totally agree. I think how a rider uses their bike may be a factor too. If they are just using the bike for road and light trail rides, then I think the stock spring would suit a wider weight range.
But if you are hammering along nasty trails, with tree roots and rocks etc., then a heavier rider may benefit the red spring, to prevent bottoming out.

Anyway, I think it's great VFM, as it's transformed my ride for a little over 50 quid.

Reactions: robert44

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Just in interest, are they any good for tarmac uneveness? The roads round here are degrading rapidly, and we haven't even hit the winter frosts yet...

Oh, and where do you source the different springs from?

Cheers...

Last edited:

Phil Dryden

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Leicester
Just in interest, are they any good for tarmac uneveness? The roads round here are degrading rapidly, and we haven't even hit the winter frosts yet...

Oh, and where do you source the different springs from?

Cheers...
I only ride on tarmac, and I find that it smoothes out ripples and small potholes incredibly well, although to be fair I have coupled it with Giant City Connect comfy saddle. It also takes the edge off sudden changes in tarmac level due to roadworks. There's no comparison to a non suspension post and a standard manufacturers saddle, in my opinion.

I'm sure I've seen springs advertised on ebay, and some bike shop websites. Don't think there is an issue there. I remember seeing one website which would fit the spring of your choice.

Reactions: artspeck

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Thanks Phil - purchased! Early Xmas prezzie.
I see the extra springs on eBay. I'll investigate further.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks Phil - purchased! Early Xmas prezzie.
I see the extra springs on eBay. I'll investigate further.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it and find it really helpful on tarmac. You will probably find you don't need different springs either.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
There's a small amount of adjustment using an allen key inside the bottom end of the post which can harden or soften the ride. At 200lbs I find the standard spring is just right for me.
Dave.

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Having had a quick read of the installation instructions, that's the preload. I'll be setting that as directed (about 1/3rd compressed). I'm a fair bit heavier than 200lbs, but I'll still give the standard spring a try, as suggested by vfr and sjpt. No point spending if the standard one works.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Having had a quick read of the installation instructions, that's the preload. I'll be setting that as directed (about 1/3rd compressed). I'm a fair bit heavier than 200lbs, but I'll still give the standard spring a try, as suggested by vfr and sjpt. No point spending if the standard one works.
I remember a post from a couple of years ago that a guy wore out the bronze bushes in his. It might be a good idea to keep them well-greased.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Yup, with moving parts, it's defo not fit & forget, especially in that, er, most sensitive of regions. :eek:

From the instructions...
Every 100 hours or once a year:
1. Disassemble the seatpost from your frame.
2. Unscrew the adjuster bolt and slide out the coil spring.
3. Clean the seatpost from the in- and outside.
4. Grease the seatpost inside (use SR SUNTOUR No. 9170-001 grease). Lubricate the pressure roller. Additionally you should lubricate the joints. We recommend bicycle chain lubricant. Use a pressure spray, it allows you to spray away any contamination.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Just purchased one. Cheaper than part exchanging for an eBike with suspension. Thanks for link. cheers.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I remember a post from a couple of years ago that a guy wore out the bronze bushes in his. It might be a good idea to keep them well-greased.
I think that was Neil, after his post I stripped mine down completely and greased the bushes which had been assembled without any lubrication at all.
I've bought two more since then which I've done the same to although they had been oiled before assembly.
It's worth getting a neoprene cover so you can keep the joints well lubed without the mess.