Suntour suspension seat posts with gel seat

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Coming from a full suspension mtb and now riding a hard tail mtb will I notice a big difference with this combination fitted , are they really worth the money

Reactions: LeighPing

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Coming from a full suspension mtb and now riding a hard tail mtb will I notice a big difference with this combination fitted , are they really worth the money
I made this video a while back. They do make a good difference, especially when going cross country. Are they worth the money.. For me, the answer would be yes. :)

Reactions: TedG and Simonwwfc

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Thank you I never go off road it’s just the smallest bump or pot holes sends the seat slamming into my butt cheeks lol

• :D

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I have two bikes (emtb & mtb) with the sun tour posts and Lidl saddles. I wouldn’t be without them Off-road. :cool:
I have a 3rd bike thats just for road & cycle paths and that has a cheap (£10) sprung saddle, my butt is happy in this saddle riding 12 miles 3 times a week ;)
this sort of thing

Last edited:

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
**** it arrived and only don’t fit should be 30.9 and was told I needed 31.6
Expensive error :eek:, can you just return it for the correct one, especially if it was the vendor who told you that you needed a 31.6 dia.
i must admit to buying the smaller option (27.2mm) and using seatpost shims if required to fit a larger frame. My thinking was that all my seatposts fit all my bikes :cool:

E-Wheels

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2016
i must admit to buying the smaller option (27.2mm) and using seatpost shims if required to fit a larger frame. My thinking was that all my seatposts fit all my bikes :cool:
This is exactly what I do

Reactions: artspeck

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
**** it arrived and only don’t fit should be 30.9 and was told I needed 31.6
Never assume, measure and double check. If not sure buy/use a Vernier, even a steel tape measure/rule would have shown 31.6 to be over size.
Most seat posts usually have the size somewhere marked on them.

Simonwwfc

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2020
Expensive error :eek:, can you just return it for the correct one, especially if it was the vendor who told you that you needed a 31.6 dia.
ive today had to order another this time 27.2 and yes ordered a shim that will go from
27.2 to 30.8 arrives tomorrow. I thing is that it’s was oxygen cycles md that told me the dia was 31.6

Altea4

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2019
I managed to get the correct post width for my cube after looking up the spec online and then measuring....Unfortunately I ordered a 400m post as I thought all for one and the cube mechanic who built my bike just cut the original post down to size. Gung-ho I decide when it arrived I’ll just do as cube did and cut the post down. All was going well until the last couple of mill to cut when bang-wallop-crash. Ffs I hadn’t realised the post was spring loaded from the bottom of the stem and I’d cut right through a plastic spring guide , I had presumed the carrier at the top was the spring! One ruined post , pissed off owner and another £65 for the correct post with 350mm stem. Definitely worth buying though , my bum certainly rides the bumps better now even on the original cube seat.
I purchased both from ‘ cervusbike ‘ on the bay.

Poolepete

Pedelecer
Aug 14, 2018
Poole
I replaced the seized (and always crap) Zoom suspension post a couple of days ago on my Motus for a XRC Pro. I just couldn't quite justify the cost of the Suntour post, particularly as I do not ride off road. I just wanted to get the worst of the road bumps gone.

Went down the 27.2mm route with a shim to convert to 30.9 seat tube.

Here's the question. With regards to the shim, I greased it both inside and out and placed it within the seat clamp (ie I did not remove the seat clamp to install the shim) and placed the slit of the shim 180 degrees from the slit in the seat post.

Have I done anything wrong?

With regards to the £24 XLC post, I am very pleased thus far. It is imperceptible in feel when riding (rather than the erratic jerky motion of the Zoom) and has most certainly attenuated most of the teeth rattling sections of my rides.

• Informative