Surrey Bike (manual quadricycle) - is it possible to convert it to electric?

Cally

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2020
Hi,
I have a 2 adult, surrey bike that is a real struggle to cycle on our local roads as they are a bit hilly. Is it possible to add a lithium iron phosphate battery and a 1200 watt DC brushless motor to it and give it electric assistance? I live in St Albans, Hertfordshire. Is there anywhere local that could do this?
Thank you.
Cally

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Why have you suggested a 1200w dc motor and lifepo4 battery ?

Cally

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2020
Why have you suggested a 1200w dc motor and lifepo4 battery ?
There is a US website for electric assist Surrey Quadricycles that details a 1200w dc motor for inclines of 25% and that they use lithium iron phosphate batteries in all their bikes. So I thought if that is what they use and it works perhaps that would work for mine.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I doubt that anybody on the forum has the same vehicle, so they wouldn't have a clue about what would be involved in converting one to electric. I would suggest that if you want any suggestions, you should provide plenty of photos that show all the details of the vehicle and its drive systems.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
With 4 wheels and any motor it is in the same class as a motor vehicle number plate mot tax insurance are all required in the uk even if it still has pedals

Cally

Just Joined
Sep 27, 2020
With 4 wheels and any motor it is in the same class as a motor vehicle number plate mot tax insurance are all required in the uk even if it still has pedals
Thank you. That's most helpful. In that case, I don't think I will even try to put a motor on it.