Suspension seat post advice please

mermeo29

Pedelecer
May 31, 2020
Hi as a novice ebiker I am asking lots of questions on this forum and getting great advice so thankyou.
I need to buy a seat post BUT my seat has to be right at the bottom setting as I wont be able to reach the pedals Id rather get a good one and the other thing is Im no lightweight either so I need some thing substantial.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
unfortunately all the suspension posts I know of add several inches in height to your seating position. if you’re seatpost is already as low as it can go, no suspension post will work.
your next best option would be a sprung seat, I have one of these on one of my bikes. (I’m 93kg and it’s definitely better than an ordinary saddle)
Cheaper direct from China if you don’t mind waiting for delivery

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

Julie

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2014
Gainsborough England
The problem with suspension seatposts is that they raise the height of the saddle, the amount depending on which type, I’m not aware of any that won’t raise the saddle but I may be wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Nev

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
If you look at old photos of bikes, they all have impressive springing.
The modern fad for small, narrow, hard as iron saddles is all down to the Lycra brigade who don't actually put much weight on the saddle because of the force that they pedal with.
Besides which, modern saddles can actually cause physical damage. (Been there, had the operation to fix it)

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Hi as a novice ebiker I am asking lots of questions on this forum and getting great advice so thankyou.
I need to buy a seat post BUT my seat has to be right at the bottom setting as I wont be able to reach the pedals Id rather get a good one and the other thing is Im no lightweight either so I need some thing substantial.
@mermeo29 What's up with your legs? How long are they? :) My 'not very tall' 8 year old grandson has no problem riding my ebike with a suspension seatpost fitted.

Springs compress with weight on them, so there's not much more of a height raise over a regular seatpost there. Generally, people tend to use a comfy gel saddle with a suspension seatpost. You can always use a slimmer, harder saddle to reduce the height a fraction. But that kind of defeats the whole purpose of fitting a springy seatpost. As @mike killay pointed out, we're not the lycra brigade. Going skinny on things won't make you go any faster and you will spend more time sitting on the seat with an ebike.

Here's a video showing two suspension seatposts for you to consider. Enjoy your rides. :)

Reactions: TedG and mermeo29

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
I understand completely as my partner has exactly the same problem and the best we could do is find a comfy seat for her.
Uunless you can use the bike with the seat set a few inches higher there's no way to fit a suspension post.
Dave.

Reactions: mermeo29

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
There is also the depth of the saddle itself, not all are the same and unfortunately gaining saddle compliance type comfort goes hand in hand IME with greater saddle depth.

• Agree
Reactions: D C and LeighPing