Suspension seat post advice wanted

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
My cheapo suspension seat post has started wobbling from side to side. A typical replacement is hard to find at present, and in any case I have the feeling that they do not last long. In fact some of the Amazon reviews suggest they can fail dangerously. I had one on my last bike, for which you could get spares, but I can't seem to recall the make or locate one today. I don't really want the Suntour type (expense and more likely to be stolen)

Are there any suggestions for a modestly priced replacement? Any advice would be appreciated.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I use a tmars about £35.00 on ebay
I'd be interested in any thoughts/review on the Tmars. I thought of one when I bought the Suntour NCX (highly recommended by many, including now my wife and me). The price difference between the Suntour and Tmars was quite small then and I couldn't find any review of the Tmars so I went for the 'safe' option.

The Zoom one I had at one point was fairly useless, telescopic rather than parallelogram.

stevenatleven

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2011
Fife
I had one of those cheap ones with a coil spring inside and recently a Crane Creek thudbuster came up on eBay which was the size i needed.Chalk and cheese ! I know its expensive but it feels very comfortable.
Maybe a allen bolt seat clamp might help the theft problem

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I have a Suntour NCX and I can't tell if it's doing a good job, so it is doing a good job, IYSWIM...

One small problem is that the bulk of the mechanism is such that it's not possible to fit an under-saddle bag. I've always had one of these to put tyre levers, etc. in and I now have to put them into a rack bag which is much bigger.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I'd be interested in any thoughts/review on the Tmars. I thought of one when I bought the Suntour NCX (highly recommended by many, including now my wife and me). The price difference between the Suntour and Tmars was quite small then and I couldn't find any review of the Tmars so I went for the 'safe' option.

The Zoom one I had at one point was fairly useless, telescopic rather than parallelogram.
But the paralleogram ones still have a spring in the tube, and the up and down movement still fairly low? I've had a couple of the Zoom types, they gave a little help but didn't last too long before the side to side saddle movement started. It seems to me that merely adjusting an allen key at the bottom is a crude way of adjusting for weight (I'm 90kg)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Even the Suntour parallelograms wiggle side to side when worn I have two and both are ok but the play in them is terrible, tried the Tmars and only thing I though of it was junk.
Zoom market a Suntour wannabe called the Satori Animaris.
Thudbuster will be my next move if I swap out.

Last edited:

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
I have a Tmars (bought two weeks ago) and it is less a suspension post and more of a shock damper (has two peices of hard rubber instead of springs in mine and is very firm). Feels like a non-suspension post but takes the edge off the bigger jarring jolts I get when going down the local rough towpath at 15mph so not all bad but might not be what you are after.

Interestingly, the LBS near me does not stock suspension posts as the owner does not believe in them due to their changing the leg length when riding causing knee problems later on.

• Informative
Reactions: mike killay

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
the paralleogram ones still have a spring in the tube, and the up and down movement still fairly low
The NSX ones go backwards whilst going down which makes all the difference.
Dave.

John F

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 3, 2013
I have a Tmars (bought two weeks ago) and it is less a suspension post and more of a shock damper (has two peices of hard rubber instead of springs in mine and is very firm). Feels like a non-suspension post but takes the edge off the bigger jarring jolts I get when going down the local rough towpath at 15mph so not all bad but might not be what you are after.

Interestingly, the LBS near me does not stock suspension posts as the owner does not believe in them due to their changing the leg length when riding causing knee problems later on.
So your local LBS owner has medical evidence?! I'm more concerned with having a sore backside and possible effects on the my back!!!

• Agree
Reactions: D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
the LBS near me does not stock suspension posts as the owner does not believe in them due to their changing the leg length when riding causing knee problems later on.
Interesting business plan:)

Mars

Pedelecer
May 24, 2020
I think stocking them was against his religion! Doesn't seem to have impacted his business. Seems to do OK as he has taken over an old scandinavian supermarket and seems to sell a lot of high end Haibike & Lapierre. His attitude did make me want to shop elsewhere.

Reactions: BillyBoy88 and D C

xena

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2017
Cross Hands, Carmarthenshire
One small problem is that the bulk of the mechanism is such that it's not possible to fit an under-saddle bag. I've always had one of these to put tyre levers, etc. in and I now have to put them into a rack bag which is much bigger.
Plenty of room for mine.
20200721_152935.jpg

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Before I removed the wiggly Suntour from my commute /town bike my 20a controller lived in an under seat bag.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I have a Suntour NCX and I can't tell if it's doing a good job, so it is doing a good job, IYSWIM...

My partner has a small tool bag under the Suntour NCX with tube, levers and probably make-up. This in addition to a rack bag.