Suspension seat post?

Phil electric

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 7, 2018
Luton UK
As in subject line has anyone used a suspension seat post at all?

Is it worth it, does it really ride out the harsh bumps?

Saw one advertised on Facebook for £27.

Phil

Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Many of us are happy with the suntour NCX seat post, yes they do work, I was a long time lower back pain sufferer until I got one.

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
yes the suntour thing is expensive but it's a work of art and really works too. The big advantage for me is that in effect you get rear suspension but can still use a rack and panniers which AFAIK can't be done with full mountain bike type rear suspension.
Mike

• Agree
Reactions: zakventis and D C

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
As generally agreed: the Suntour is really good. The more basic telescopic ones we have tried are certainly less effective. The Zoom one I had wobbled so much that in the end I pretty much tightened it up and it became a heavy regular post. The TMars (£35 on Amazon) looks promising but the only review I have seen is the one higher up this thread.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Another thumbs up for the Suntour NCX.
Works really well - much better than the pogo stick ones I had on previous bikes.
Got mine from Amazon last year for about £40 which seemed very reasonable.

• Agree
Reactions: KirstinS

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I have a nice combination on each of my Ebikes , Promax Suspension Seatpost £14 on Ebay and a Crivit/Lidl Air Suspension Seat £7.99 .

Andy McNish

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2018
I have one on my Cube (Cube Suspension Seatpost - they cost about £30-40 I think) and it is very good for flattening out bumps on gravelly ground/ over cobbles etc.

With any sort of front suspension it ensures a very smooth and comfortable ride

zakventis

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2017
UK - Wales - Monmouth
Totally agree with the above - I have two Suntours and wouldn't be without them. With my first one (mostly road & track use) I wasn't sure it made that much difference... until I swapped back to the original seatpost which immediately emphasised just how much difference the Suntour seatpost really does make.

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
Totally agree with the above - I have two Suntours and wouldn't be without them. With my first one (mostly road & track use) I wasn't sure it made that much difference... until I swapped back to the original seatpost which immediately emphasised just how much difference the Suntour seatpost really does make.
Yes - you think it's not working until you ride behind someone with a Suntour and see how much movement is going on
Mike

MikeS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2018
IIRC on the Suntour you can specify different weights for the rider which can help if it's going to bottom out, but it is of course a compromise with only really about 35 to 50mm of travel at best. A great compromise in my opinion though.
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the slightly weird feeling you get with the Suntour because it's this neat parallelogram. As it operates to smooth out the up and down movement, it also introduces back to front movement as well - so the distance between your bum and the handlebars increases. This doesn't happen with a sprung seatpost of course.
Mike

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Well I bought one and it’s great so far. I tried out a new Haibike without the subtour and with, the difference is amazing. It just takes out that harshness of the bumps.

• Agree

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Just for reference I'm 200+ lbs and the standard springs are fine for me (I have three seatposts), they never bottom out and there's plenty of travel.
The first one I bought has been in use for several years and still works as new.
A few folk reported problems with the bushes wearing on the earlier ones so I dismantled mine and greased them as there wasn't any grease there at all.
The bushes in the two I bought recently are different colour to the brass coloured ones in my original so maybe they have been upgraded. I uncoupled the joints to grease them before use but noticed there was grease in there so probably didn't need doing.
Dave.