Suspension Withdrawal - Any Advice?

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I'm temporarily without my full suspension electric bike and am forced to commute on a totally suspension free bike.

In short, it's a shock to the system and is getting painful. I've quickly learned to get back in to the habit of letting my legs take my weight rather than my backside to avoid jarring my spine over uneven ground at speed, however I'd forgotten how painful it is on the wrists braking at speed over potholes.

Given that I'm likely to be electric-bikeless for the next couple of weeks, are there any suggestions for a front suspension alternative? I'm prepared to fork out a bit of cash if it will help but since it's not my bike I can't go for the sensible option and get proper front suspension. Any half way houses worth consideration?

I've already dropped the tyre pressure to 35 and I'm already riding on fairly wide 1.75" tyres. Is there any hope or will I just have to put up with it?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've already dropped the tyre pressure to 35 and I'm already riding on fairly wide 1.75" tyres. Is there any hope or will I just have to put up with it?
There may be. The Schwalbe Big Apple tyres are called suspension for bikes, and they are highly regarded as very efficient tyres too. One of our members swears by them and they really do soften the ride. It's their suppleness that does the trick.

The only query is whether they will fit in your forks etc or under any mudguards. As you'll see, they come in 2.00 and 2.35 widths.

Here's the website detail

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I can definitely stretch to new tyres and I'm willing to give anything a go at the moment. I'm pretty sure the rims and forks will take 2" tyres (I can remove the mudguards if necessary).

The roads round my way seem to have taken a huge turn for the worse after that really cold spell earlier in the year and although the council sorted out most of them they left enough to be causing me real problems on my commute.

Thanks for the tip-off, it's much appreciated.

Last edited:

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Suspension seatpost?

I've never used one but the new Urban Mover UM36X's have them as standard and my brother has almost always reccomended I get one when I say I wish my bike was full suspension, but I never listen to him ;)

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've got the 559-60 Big Apple tyres and I like the ride a lot. I have the pressure very high so shock absorbing isn't great but it still offers a better ride than the 26 x 1.9 tyres that are on my loan bike today. When the pressure is dropped to about 40psi it makes a road with small bumps feel very smooth, it won't however make potholes disappear.
I also have a sprung seat post and it may as well not be there, it only moves then the force comes from the right direction which is almost only when I go up large speed bumps - then it threatens to bounce me off at the top. I would get a Thud Buster but I'd have to take it off the bike evey day to prevent theft.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
After another 40 miles I have decided the tyres make quite a difference. I'm riding the same type of bike with the same saddle and seatpost, the big Apple tyres make the bumps less harsh even when they are at maximum pressure.
The loan bike doesn't have front suspension and it felt like one pothole yesterday almost broke my wrist, probably nowhere near the truth but the difference was obvious.