Swept back Handlebars (Design specs)

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Swept back handlebars are more comfortable than straight bars. Is there any reason why the cable cannot be tucked behind the bars allowing the use of handlebar bags (very useful)?

Reactions: LeighPing

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Nope, you can put the wires and cables anywhere you like, so long as they are long enough and the inner cables move freely, remembering to check at full turn.

John

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Never tried them swept back bars, are they really more comfortable? Looks a wee bit unnatural with your hands in that position?

Reactions: Perseus

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Never tried them swept back bars, are they really more comfortable? Looks a wee bit unnatural with your hands in that position?
It is noticeable if, like me, you have arthritis.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Which way do bar ends go?

At the moment I have moved to 23° sweep back from a "normal" MTB riser bar, if I had more room (longer frame) I think I would go to 47°.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I think that I should modify my earlier post.
Obviously people differ as to their muscles and skeletons.
Equally, something like regular rowing, archery, process work can modify muscles and bones.
Straight bars are fine for BMX etc. where a maximum of control and leverage are needed, maybe only for short periods, but they can put arms, shoulders and wrists into unnatural positions that lead to fatigue on long rides.
I notice that some straight bars have had end grips fitted that are at right angles to the bars.
Presumably to give some relief on longer rides.
As a test, sit down and put your arms out in front of you, parallel to the ground.
Make imaginary gripping shapes of your hands and lower them to about belt height.
Observe how they are when comfortable and relaxed. That is the ideal position for your bars on long journeys.

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
My subjective experience is that straight bars may actually be harmful causing, more likely exacerbating, repetitive strain injury in the older cyclist. This could be badly designed or wrong-sized bicycles.

PS: Is it as bad as sustained periods of walking? Yuk!

Nothing wrong with walking. Just like to whizz past the boring bits.