Swytch Max biker looking to add an extra battery

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have seen £999 & £1249 quoted for these abominations which one can put together for about £400 - £500.

Solarbake

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2014
I placed a watt meter between 36v battery made of 10 x 21700 Samsung 50e battery and controller and observed
15.5 amp max current draw and 550watts output on the meter max so explains why some people battery bar fluctuated.I think the max battery has 10x 21700 battery’s in but probably the higher Samsung cells that are rated at 30a discharge

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There about £499–£599 if you pre register before and wait I have two kits and they work superb
They're not bad if you can get one for £500, but that's with the ridiculously small battery, which is going to be very over-stressed and won't last long.

It's possible to make something similar, using a handlebar mounted bag for about £20, a Q100H motor plus KT controller kit from BMSBattery for about £350 and a 20-cell 6Ah battery from Aliexpress for around £100. Say £500 for everything. That gives you a better more powerful motor, a better controller and an easier supply of cheaper spare parts. The work to install is about the same as a Swytch kit. Swytch customer service isn't that good, anecdotally; and you have to wait a long time for their stuff, while as it's only 2 weeks to get the stuff from China.

Their new kit is more or less the same as what I described, except that the bag goes wherever you choose to fit it and they use inferior parts to what I suggested. Also, when you take the DIY route, you can tailor the kit to exactly what you want.

Solarbake

Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2014
You can get about 14-18 miles from the max battery.
I’m running a Bosch Powerade that stopped working Bms issues .i put a new Bms in it and I have a 11.6 A/h battery that I use in the bag straight into the controller and now get a about 30 miles per charge

John Bucklebury

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 22, 2023
The controller in the handlebar unit failed. Swytch sent me a new one and all is well. They then sent me the bare controller, so I have a spare. Would anyone like to purchase it for a nominal amount to confirm all the opinions?