Synergie Mistral after 1 year

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
I've owned my Synergie Mistral e-bike for 1 year now (1,600 miles), so I thought I'd see how far I could ride before the battery, a Phylion 36V 10Ah Lithium Ion, gave out. For this test I used the "S" sport mode all the time and pedalled gently over hilly terrain averaging 11 mph. The battery gave out at 20.5 miles.

When only 3 out of five battery lights were showing, under no load condition, it was only about half a mile before the motor cut-out and I had to pedal the last half mile home. I found it very hard to pedal against the resistance of the brushed geared motor which I believe does not have a freewheel. It would be as well to push the bike up anything but a gentle incline once the battery is flat. Fortunately my rides are usually no more than 15 miles and this is the first time I've run the battery flat. I always charge the battery after every trip.

I think this is acceptable battery performance. I don't know what the Mistral new battery price is now but last year you could buy one for £158. I paid £450 including delivery for my Mistral e-bike 12 months ago which has been very reliable. I've had two front wheel punctures to mend in 1,600 miles, adjusted the brake cables and oiled the chain a few times. No rust to report. I clean the bike occasionally lightly oil metal parts and coat the screws with a little grease.

Modifications.. I discarded the useless dynamo, wedged the battery with rubber to stop it rattling added a saddlebag, computer and mirror.

Rod Tibbs

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2008
Life with Synergie

Kal's experiences with the Synergie have been almost the same as mine. I too have added a mirror, panniers, computer and used pipework insulating foam suitably trimmed to stop the battery jiggling about. I have covered about the same distance over the same period of time.

My bike did develop a mysterious illness which took about eight weeks to sort out and involved the thottle circuit but apart from that the length of journey and overall experience has been virtually the same.

I give the chainwork and rear mech a shot of WD40 at intervals and keep the various allen screw heads smeared with grease to prevent them from rusting. The plating on these is not brilliant.

But this apart the bike is a pleasure to ride, it is civilised with decent mudguards, chainguard and rear carrier and the front suspension works well. Oh, I did add a sprung pillar to the saddle and that had helped make journeys that much smoother.

So far I have not tested my battery to the limit. I regularly get about 17 miles out of it with three or four red lights remaining.

Overall I consider the Syngergie to be good value for money, practical and a comfortable machine which offers a full range of economy/sport pedelec settings plus throttle override - more in fact than you find in machines many times the price.

Rod

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Yes Rod, the Synergie Mistral has a lot going for it. Your last paragraph in the above post says it all.

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
To-day I tested to see how far my Mistral's 1 year old battery would take me using the "E" economy mode on the same route.

The motor cut-out after 23.9 miles in "E" economy mode.

A couple of days ago I managed 20.5 miles in "S" sport mode. (see first post above)

Rach

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 23, 2009
This will no doubt sound ridiculous, but I'm still a raw novice! :D
I have recently purchased a Mistral and am generally very pleased with it. However, one issue I have with it is that I can't go fast enough and I'm not really sure what the different modes do.
I assumed that Economy would be easier on the battery than sport, but which mode allows the rider to travel fastest? With only 6 gears I'm travelling relatively slowly on flat terrain and want to be able to speed things up a bit.

I've tried all the modes and can't really see any significant differences. Using none doesn't alter much either - presumably because of low number of gears?

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
This will no doubt sound ridiculous, but I'm still a raw novice! :D
I have recently purchased a Mistral and am generally very pleased with it. However, one issue I have with it is that I can't go fast enough and I'm not really sure what the different modes do.
I assumed that Economy would be easier on the battery than sport, but which mode allows the rider to travel fastest? With only 6 gears I'm travelling relatively slowly on flat terrain and want to be able to speed things up a bit.

I've tried all the modes and can't really see any significant differences. Using none doesn't alter much either - presumably because of low number of gears?
Your right Rach, Economy mode is for saving battery energy.. means the range is increased by about 5 miles occording to my tests above. I only average around 11 mph on hilly terrain. Average speed inreases marginaly when switched to Sport mode. Speed when travelling on flat terrain is around 18 mph with the bike set unrestricted using the throttle only. The motor is a brushed geared motor without a freewheel and it's this that restricts the speed when going down hills and makes it very difficult to pedal with a flat battery. Once you pedal beyond 15 mph it's alot of effort for little reward, so it's as well to take your time. I don't think a higher gear would help much to increase speed.. you just have to accept the bikes limitations although a lower gear would be useful on steep hills.

See mine and others reviews on the Synergie Mistral here:
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bike-reviews/1727-synergie-mistral-owner-reviews.html

rgardiner

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2009
Speed when travelling on flat terrain is around 18 mph with the bike set unrestricted using the throttle only.
Just out of curiosity, how do you derestrict the bike from topping out at 15mph? Anyhow, I cycle a regular MTB at the moment to work and I am looking seriously at the Mistral. The top speed of 15 mph wouldnt bother me too much, as I dont realy think I'd be able to safely go any faster, but I'd be interested to know how to take away that restriction. I live in a quite hilly town and have about a 2 mile cycle to work, about 1 mile downhill and one upphill. I also like to go to the gym at lunch times which is another 4 mile round trip, which I usually rely on a workmate for a lift to and from. I think the Mistral might help out there.

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
My Mistral is close to the year mark and is up at about 2000 miles with a 16 mile return journey commute most days.

Upgrades are Shimano SPD pedals, Continental Travel Contact (puncture resistant) tyres, Tektro rear caliper, Charge Spoon saddle and a coating of Turtle Wax Ice.

The SPDs are invaluable when climbing hills.

On the flat with a combination of S mode, throttle and legs the bike will do 22mph but I'm satisfied that I put more effort into maintaining this speed on the Mistral than I do on the MTB. No freewheel on the motor is certainly an issue.

I have a hilly commute and there are some big demands placed on the motor and battery, my final hill is like this / or at least it feels like it even with the motor.

Weight is a big issue, the Mistral is heavy, this is a benefit on the level as momentum is maintained but the bike could be improved with a high torque mode and a climbing sprocket. I now climb in E mode, if I don't keep the battery topped up at both ends it occasionally cuts out on the steepest part of the hill in S mode, the bike and a 90kg rider is just too much for 200w.

A regular MTB or road bike is often faster on the level and certainly downhill.

My view is that electrical assistance on a bike is a little like the hare and tortoise analogy, it keeps up the average and so gets there first.

The throttle is invaluable when riding in towns or cities, I am quite an aggressive (read protectionist) rider and want the cycle lane or space at traffic lights for bikes for me and the bike not a car or van. As a result I ride the bike like my old motorbike, between rows of cars and outside of lines of traffic. The throttle allows this because I can concentrate fully on other vehicles and the road without the worry of thinking about gears and pedalling.

In summary my experience has been a good one, a very enjoyable period of ownership, generally reliable, but with a few minor factory amendments the Mistral could be a really great bike.

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008
Just out of curiosity, how do you derestrict the bike from topping out at 15mph? Anyhow, I cycle a regular MTB at the moment to work and I am looking seriously at the Mistral. The top speed of 15 mph wouldnt bother me too much, as I dont realy think I'd be able to safely go any faster, but I'd be interested to know how to take away that restriction. I live in a quite hilly town and have about a 2 mile cycle to work, about 1 mile downhill and one upphill. I also like to go to the gym at lunch times which is another 4 mile round trip, which I usually rely on a workmate for a lift to and from. I think the Mistral might help out there.
The Synergie Mistral comes derestricted, or at least mine did. There is a control box underneath.. next to the pedals with two wires sticking out. When these two wires are not connected together the electric bike is not restricted. Plugging these two wires together restricts the ebike to make it legal on the road.