Taking a Tumble on the Regular Commute

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
Just a cautionary note to all you regular busy-traffic commuters out there – it’s not another moan about pot-holes, this is to highlight their evil cousin . . . the 4 inch deep tramline !

When I’m on my usual commute and on the busy main roads, I’m normally in “Robocop” mode, watching everything that’s going on and fully alert.
However, about a mile from my work, I turn off on to a quieter road leading to some industrial estates and a dead end, so there’s very little traffic on it.
I must have gone in to Mary Poppins mode , possibly looking around me and thinking what a fine morning it was and how good it was to be alive, when suddenly my front wheel went in to this narrow elongated trench (like the old tram lines) - the predicted result ensued and the bike and I parted company.

Luckily this all happened on a quiet road. I got a grazed elbow and knee out of the deal but probably my pride was more hurt than anything.
As I say, this mercifully happened on a quiet stretch but if you folks out there see these tramlines on a busy stretch, watch what you’re doing.

Also quite happy that this happened on my trusty old tourer for two reasons.
Firstly, I’ve had the bike for a good while and I know it inside out so it was quite simply my fault for not paying attention to the road
And secondly, I’m awaiting delivery of a Trek Valencia (with the Bionx motor) and had this happened with the new bike, a small voice would have been saying “ . . ah well this wouldn’t have happened if you’d stayed with your trusty old tourer”

Anyhoo . . really looking forward to getting on it and laughing in the face of headwinds & hills although the re-appearance of snow up here (Glasgow) just makes your heart sink when you look out in the morning before going to work

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Rail Lines

Commiserations on the weather up there Rab , luckily there aren`t many lines on the roads here in S.Wales .The only time I cross any is near the Ford Plant at Bridgend on my Scooter , I make sure I approach them as near as at 90 degrees as possible . In 1962 I was riding my Ariel Arrow Motorcycle going into the Foundry at the Dowlais Works at Merthyr Tydfil and crossing some lines very carefully in the wet ,when the next minute I was lying between the sleepers on the track with my Motorcycle next to me .About 100 yards away was the Works Steam Shunting Engine bearing down on me .Did I move and apart from my pride , the screen on my machine nicked my nose .I was lucky !

Rab C Nesbitt

Pedelecer
Aug 15, 2008
The only time I cross any is near the Ford Plant at Bridgend on my Scooter , I make sure I approach them as near as at 90 degrees as possible .
Hi Roger
Thanks for the commiserations - and you're right in what you say about the 90 degree approach . . . even if we were rubbish at geometry in school, we learn very quickly about good & bad angles !!

It's that sinking feeling you get when you realise you are running parrallel with them . . :eek: