Tasman crash

LazyViking

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 4, 2009
Last summer my wife had a crash on her 3 day old Kalkhoff Tasman.

Significant damage:
* front wheel badly buckled
* right hand crank bent
* both hydraulic break lines broken at brake handles

(the other guys bike was a total write off....)

Having aquired a new rim, crank and brakes I finally got round to putting it all together again this week. The wheel rebuild seems to have worked well. The crank was a doddle to replace. The brakes were easily fixed so I could save the new brakes for later.

Satisfied with the repairs I went for a test drive. I was dissappointed when the bike pulled to one side when ridden. After a quick google diagnostic I read that this was due to bent forks or frame.

I swapped the forks with those from my Agattu. Surprisingly the Agattu fork stem was about 1cm shorter and there was no space for the lock nut, but they are just there for show, aren't they?:D The Tasman didn't pull to the side with my Agattu forks.

Looking carefully at the Tasman fork I finally saw that it was slightly bent. I tried to bend it back with a big hammer and steel tubing, but it didn't make any impression.

I'll have to email 50 cycles and ask them what they want for a new fork now.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Last summer my wife had a crash on her 3 day old Kalkhoff Tasman.

Significant damage:
* front wheel badly buckled
* right hand crank bent
* both hydraulic break lines broken at brake handles

(the other guys bike was a total write off....)

Having aquired a new rim, crank and brakes I finally got round to putting it all together again this week. The wheel rebuild seems to have worked well. The crank was a doddle to replace. The brakes were easily fixed so I could save the new brakes for later.

Satisfied with the repairs I went for a test drive. I was dissappointed when the bike pulled to one side when ridden. After a quick google diagnostic I read that this was due to bent forks or frame.

I swapped the forks with those from my Agattu. Surprisingly the Agattu fork stem was about 1cm shorter and there was no space for the lock nut, but they are just there for show, aren't they?:D The Tasman didn't pull to the side with my Agattu forks.

Looking carefully at the Tasman fork I finally saw that it was slightly bent. I tried to bend it back with a big hammer and steel tubing, but it didn't make any impression.

I'll have to email 50 cycles and ask them what they want for a new fork now.
I remember once trying to straighten a metal gate and finally did it by getting a fully loaded tipper lorry to drive over it after positioning a wooden block in the right place:D