Taxi changes direction at traffic lights

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Taxi drivers really are the worst - this idiot decided to suddenly reverse after stopping at lights, to go in another direction. The cars behind me were not happy. Taxi drivers :mad: I'm pretty sure my bright 3600 lumen headlights got me noticed. They may have been noticed sooner, if I had twice as many!

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
I put phone zombies and people wearing earphones on cycle paths (cyclists included) above taxis

Reactions: guerney

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Taxi drivers really are the worst
yep they are. Then I saw "slow mo pumpkins patch" for some reason I had time lapse in my head of pumpkins growing... That would be cool - I would comment on Vimeo but didn't know if you need an account. Did you edit all the vids on XP or 7?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
yep they are. Then I saw "slow mo pumpkins patch" for some reason I had time lapse in my head of pumpkins growing... That would be cool - I would comment on Vimeo but didn't know if you need an account. Did you edit all the vids on XP or 7?
It's a slow mo-function on my cheapo action camera.... I considered doing a timelapse of their growing out in the garden... but there's so much to do when I get there and it's so fiddly to set up, I haven't - here's a very small timelapse I made of them sprouting some years ago. It has to be very small, in case this website crashes lol.

I would comment on Vimeo but didn't know if you need an account.
That reminds me: Must disable comments, because then it becomes social media :eek:

Did you edit all the vids on XP or 7?
That was on 7, but it could have been done on XP - Vimeo no entiende XP! Niet! Access denied...

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
because then it becomes social media
Is this forum not social media & you per se are very sociable... was that time lapse of a bonsai tree lol. Strawberries growing would be good.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is this forum not social media
When people get miffed here, they simply go away for a time - algorithmic antisocial pushing and amplification of extremely negative content is largely absent... I don't bother with anywhere else.

Strawberries growing would be good.
I'm still eating the wild strawberries I planted out there, and that's quite astonishing - domesticated varieties produce for one or two short periods in a year, wild is continuous. The resolution of timelapse and other animation is only limited by that of the photographic cameras used, which is higher than video - it'll be possible to see old stop start animation (or Wallace and Grommet) being released in Xk in future without the need to upscale.

Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
was that time lapse of a bonsai tree lol.
They can go from that to 30+ft wide within 8 weeks. What is world needs is trillions of genetically modified ultra-giant sequoia which grow overnight, that we can all hollow out sections and live inside; cycle over the interconnecting branches of.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: jimriley and PC2017

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Did you edit all the vids on XP or 7?
Pushed the boat out a bit and bought a GoPro Hero Black 7. Almost bought an Osmo Action 3, but reports of poor waterproofing and fogging put me off, also it won't do a damn thing unless you activate using their app. The Osmo inspired little confidence for use in our British climate, and the 7 seems to be mostly bug free. If it's not up to snuff, it will be rejected!

Noticed today while swapping the cameras, that the Crosstour Action 4K waterproof case mount had snapped at the mount (one of two perspex prongs ... superglue + baking soda fix time?) When I source a new case, that will be the rear facing recorder.

The 7 will be rubbish in low light, but they all seem much of a muchness in that regard currently.

Future videos should look a little better. The ones shot at night, probably not.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
GoPro Hero Black 7
Cool - am on hero 4 - GP do use a high bitrate so let us know if that causes any issues in editing on low spec hardware/software. My 4 core lappy did not improve my editing experience much it's still choppy in real time play back although less crashing and better response times overall - I will have a look at editor you linked in the other thread.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Cool - am on hero 4 - GP do use a high bitrate so let us know if that causes any issues in editing on low spec hardware/software. My 4 core lappy did not improve my editing experience much it's still choppy in real time play back although less crashing and better response times overall - I will have a look at editor you linked in the other thread.
For now I'm sticking to 1080p for ease of editing, smaller and more manageable file size and longer battery life. For bike night recording, I'm going to try:

ISO: 1600

Shutter: 1/50th second. I would prefer higher but with tests so far, it's pretty much unusable - however, a higher shutter speed could finally get properly exposed clear numberplates recorded, when they're illuminated by my bright headlights. Which is the ideal outcome for getting a better camera.

Sharpness: Low - sharpening on PC would be better. Sharpening noise in camera is self-defeating.

Exposure: Slightly lower - blown out regions like highly reflective numberplates illuminated by my bright headlights cannot be restored, best under-expose.

Video stabilisation: Off. It's useless at night and produces blurry frames as the camera enlarges, rotates and crops using internal gyro measurements. All action cameras I've seen are useless in this regard. The stabilisation process also relies on sharp images - fine in daylight, but with high ISO at night, all frames are too noise-infested and blurry.

The camera display is tiny, hardly readable to my eyes, but I do always carry a magnifying glass of the diffraction grating credit card sized type. I really don't want to lug around the tablet it does work on, simply to access and change camera settings, and for some reason it hates my OnePlus phone (may get a tiny tablet or try another phone).

It's likely footage will be trash at night no matter what I try. If I can snap number plates using some combination of settings which also reveal car make and model, that'll be a good result. It won't look terribly cinematic, but that's not the point.

My 4 core lappy did not improve my editing experience much it's still choppy in real time play back although less crashing and better response times overall
Make a note of the settings before changing in VLC - try changing the output to DirectX? If you're talking about choppy playback within the editor, there may be an assignable output module? If DirectX is available, it works better on lower powered hardware.

I will have a look at editor you linked in the other thread.
LosslessCut looks potentially useful to export short clips at original quality, for later use.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
DirectX is available, it works better on lower powered hardware.
I think I've tried but I will look again & play with the settings. I got playback mode on scaling 360p - 720p on desktop & it's smooth as butter, sadly I use a crappy wireless MS keyboard & TV for the desktop so editing is not the most ergonomic + it's 1.5 meters from chair to TV. rendering however; network everything across & bang its done quick than the file transfer.

I only ride at night in summer or if I really have to, I always had 20/20 vision but since T1D it fell off a cliff although not major vision loss, wearing glasses 7 years on still is not something I enjoy, I don't mind sunnies but clear, I get rather annoyed with not have the vision I once did.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think I've tried but I will look again & play with the settings. I got playback mode on scaling 360p - 720p on desktop & it's smooth as butter, sadly I use a crappy wireless MS keyboard & TV for the desktop so editing is not the most ergonomic + it's 1.5 meters from chair to TV. rendering however; network everything across & bang its done quick than the file transfer.

I only ride at night in summer or if I really have to, I always had 20/20 vision but since T1D it fell off a cliff although not major vision loss, wearing glasses 7 years on still is not something I enjoy, I don't mind sunnies but clear, I get rather annoyed with not have the vision I once did.
I wonder how much these will cost, and what beast of a phone it'll take to drive them? CES 2023:

The Silverfox

Pedelecer
Oct 13, 2021
Cardiff, UK
Pushed the boat out a bit and bought a GoPro Hero Black 7. Almost bought an Osmo Action 3, but reports of poor waterproofing and fogging put me off, also it won't do a damn thing unless you activate using their app. The Osmo inspired little confidence for use in our British climate, and the 7 seems to be mostly bug free. If it's not up to snuff, it will be rejected!

Noticed today while swapping the cameras, that the Crosstour Action 4K waterproof case mount had snapped at the mount (one of two perspex prongs ... superglue + baking soda fix time?) When I source a new case, that will be the rear facing recorder.

The 7 will be rubbish in low light, but they all seem much of a muchness in that regard currently.

Future videos should look a little better. The ones shot at night, probably not.
I recently got a DJI Osmo Action 3 and haven’t had any fogging issues, even used in heavy rain, snow and under water.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I recently got a DJI Osmo Action 3 and haven’t had any fogging issues, even used in heavy rain, snow and under water.
I feared the Red Light of Death, reported on the DJI forums, for which there is no cure. Also on the earlier units, there was a lack of sharpness, which may have been fixed since by a firmware update. The Hero 7 Blacks are rock solid on the waterproofing front, and the firmware is quite mature - I'll see how it goes. So far, I'm not impressed at all by photos in low light, even "Superphotos" aka HDR are not good compared to proper cameras (I didn't think they would be). Here's it's best (also cleaned up in post) attempt of a snap at my attempt at making Natto using TVP (is it TVP Natto even possible? I'll know in 5 hours) in a yoghurt maker. I got dozens of Kg of TVP in 2020 as part of my pre-Covid doomsday prep (TVP doesn'tactually have a use by date if kept in airtight containers), and it's almost inedible - hence fermentation for Vitamin K. I'll get out there for some night video cycling soon. Even my phone takes better close-ups. But by jiminy, nattokinase crystals are forming!

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
let us know if that causes any issues in editing on low spec hardware/software.
High bitrate for such low grade action camera footage should be illegal - they're not real cameras! XP found the camera but couldn't copy over big video files (it didn't register as mass storage), managed copying over photos. If you delete files without their software, this confuses the camera's file system terminally, and it won't record anything properly again, unless you format the SD card in camera.

On Windows 7, there's only one verson of their app compatible - the very first - and that's too old to recognise the 7 Black, which was released later. I may grit my teeth and install 10 for it's GPS map and speedo on-video widget capability, but I probably won't. Never 10! (Installing Win 10 will save the sd card slot from wear and tear)

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I may grit my teeth and install 10
Go one do it join the sheep... I understand the early fears but I can not get it several years on, do explain your fears, I fear win 11 because I will need to spend 700£ for a new AMD 6 core monster which I am looking forward to for gaming assuming these Energy bill don't swallow up my savings. What is TVP Natto??

I think the pics are mainly for scenic not close up macro

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What is TVP Natto??
TVP:

Natto HAI!!!

... voted the world's most disgusting food, but rich in Vitamin K.

Go one do it join the sheep... I understand the early fears but I can not get it several years on, do explain your fears, I fear win 11 because I will need to spend 700£ for a new AMD 6 core monster which I am looking forward to for gaming assuming these Energy bill don't swallow up my savings.
I've always been a late adopter of OSs - I wait until the majority of bugs have been squished. Thing is, now that Win 10 looks half decent (found myself strangely tempted a few months ago lol), everyone will be forced onto Windows 11. There are workarounds for the TPM chip requirement, which invalidate Microsoft's warranty.

Assessed Monthly Direct Debit charged according to actual usage, adjusted as a result of meter readings submitted monthly, is what I have - Martin Lewis said the other night it's cheaper than paying by bill, he also said regular DD customers can request it. Of course that doesn't help at all while unit rates are too damned high. :mad:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I think the pics are mainly for scenic not close up macro
True - there are macro lenses for the 7, as well as oodles of other toys such as the anamorphic lens, ND and CPL filters etc. Waiting on two additional batteries, the GoPro dual charger and waterproof case. I know it's supposed to be very waterproof, but a case calms my nerves and protects it from impacts. Overheating could be an issue with a case, as the 7 does get hot.