Tektro hydraulic disc brake mystery

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
This relates to the Tektro front disc brake on my 2020 Batavus pedelec.

Brakes have been perfectly OK from new, but now when I apply the front brake, I feel a significant resistance to lever pressure after the first 8-10mm of travel (measured at the end of the lever). Once that resistance is overcome by me applying further pressure, there's no further resistance and the brake seems to function normally. This doesn't happen every time I apply the brakes: if anything, it seems to happen after the brake hasn't been applied for a while, but that's not definite. It might just be happening at random.

Any ideas please folks?

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Your brake might need bleeding / burping, this removes any air in the hydraulic fluid.

YouTube has videos on how to do this.

This might help.

You can also buy a service kit, first seller I came to so you might get it cheaper elsewhere.

Reactions: danfoto

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
This relates to the Tektro front disc brake on my 2020 Batavus pedelec.

Brakes have been perfectly OK from new, but now when I apply the front brake, I feel a significant resistance to lever pressure after the first 8-10mm of travel (measured at the end of the lever). Once that resistance is overcome by me applying further pressure, there's no further resistance and the brake seems to function normally. This doesn't happen every time I apply the brakes: if anything, it seems to happen after the brake hasn't been applied for a while, but that's not definite. It might just be happening at random.

Any ideas please folks?
Maybe a mechanical part of the brake lever is out of adjustment, or may need cleaning and re-lubrication.
Just a thought.
Andy

danfoto

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 2, 2010
Sarfeast England
Ah ... I hadn't considered bleeding on account of I just associate that with sponginess. But I do have the necessary somewhere so I'll bleed the front and see if that sorts it. I'll report back in due course :)

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Ah ... I hadn't considered bleeding on account of I just associate that with sponginess. But I do have the necessary somewhere so I'll bleed the front and see if that sorts it. I'll report back in due course :)
I cannot see that either, as you pointed out, air is compressible and causes sponginess, but it's easy to check.
regards
Andy