Tell me how big it is when its folded please?

Ayrshire Jim

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 20, 2008
Too much to ask? I don't think so.

Its a folder so hey I don't care how big it is when its not folded. But I do care plenty when it is.

So why can't Greenedge, Dahon, Powabyke or uncletomcobbley and all put this not insignificant piece of infornation up front somewhere on the specsheets for their folders? Something to hide (like it bends in the middle alright, but its actually still fkin huge) maybe?...conspiracy theorists pile in here...
Or is it just me?

regards
AJ <--plot completely lost, he drives a Smart u know so this is kind of important, little car, little boot nice to be green isn't it

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
booty

Hello

Not sure, but at a guess it folds up smaller enough for a boot otherwise its pointless being a folder

How big is your boot of the car? I think it must be pretty small to ask the question.

thx

Bob

Ayrshire Jim

Aug 20, 2008
Thanks Bob
Its 900 wide x 750 tall by about 450 deep. If I had a Landcruiser or Range Rover then I guess the problem wouldn't be so critical, but then I wouldn't be here thinking of sustainable ways to do my daily commute (54 miles) either, would I?
cheers
AJ

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
shake that bootey

jim

54 miles is a long way will you be doing part car, part ebicycle?

90x75x45 is quite big i do not think you will have a problem, nothing that couple of bungee would not fix worst case

thx

Bob

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You should be able to get almost all folders into your boot on the Smart.

The eZee Quando is about the largest of them folded, and then it's 34" long, 29" high at it's highest point with saddle and stem out, and 16" to 17" wide. It weighs approximately 24 kilos. That would be a squeeze to get in, but the others like Dahons etc are usually at least 2" to 3" shorter than that 34" and less in both other directions as well.

For some odd reason when sizes are given, it's often as volume, not much use for practical purposes.

P.S. Just seen your other post, so converted to metric the Quando is 87 x 74 x 43 maximum, so it will fit.

Last edited:

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Too much to ask? I don't think so.

Its a folder so hey I don't care how big it is when its not folded. But I do care plenty when it is.

So why can't Greenedge, Dahon, Powabyke or uncletomcobbley and all put this not insignificant piece of infornation up front somewhere on the specsheets for their folders? Something to hide (like it bends in the middle alright, but its actually still fkin huge) maybe?...conspiracy theorists pile in here...
Or is it just me?

regards
AJ <--plot completely lost, he drives a Smart u know so this is kind of important, little car, little boot nice to be green isn't it
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think to use your words "its just you".....when i got my last folder from 50 cycles i looked at their website about the Quando and read the following...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like most 20-inch bikes, the Quando folds into a large package, but the operation is easy enough and the result is very neat. Dimensions are 38 cm wide, 90 cm long by 66 cm high. That comes out at 226 litres or 8 cubic feet. Not minuscule but perfectly acceptable by non-assisted 20-inch standards (the archetypal Dahon Vitesse measures 190 litres, for example).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
my first folder from synergy also gave dimentions too, as did my brompton..

greenedge silverado says...Box dimensions: 90cm L x 76cm W x 44 cm H

greenedge blackstar says...Box dimensions: 90cm L x 24cm W x 75 cm H

of course should you find an oversight with dimensions or not enough dimensions mentioned you could adopt "plan b" ask them
hope this helps. keith

Last edited:

Ayrshire Jim

Aug 20, 2008
Yes thats it Bob, I drive 18000 miles pa just getting to work which is why I bought the Smart. I drew the line line in a big way at the last 75 quid fill up on my previous car. And with Glasgow council ever expanding the meter zone, my walk to work for the last bit is getting longer and longer so hence the ebike.

Thank you for that info flecc, simple and helpful and to the point. I guess my gripe was, you know that (as of course you would) but your average punter (me) would think that manufacturers would have folded sizes as a given on their sales patter - but they just don't. I wonder why not? As you say, very occasionally you see a volume quoted, but that doesn't mean much in the real world. Gears: six Weight: 40kg Folded size: 750x750x300 - how hard is that?

regards
AJ

Ayrshire Jim

Aug 20, 2008
Hello Keith, yeah I know its just me, it always is.

I did ask Greenedge actually because I wanted to buy a bike and not a box and they said quote "well its a bit difficult to measure exactly but 700x700x300 approx".

So anyone buying a Greenedge I make that to be a hefty dollop of your lolly buys you a big chunk of fresh air
fwiw...

cheers
AJ

Danny-K

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2008
South West
So why can't Greenedge, Dahon, Powabyke or uncletomcobbley and all put this not insignificant piece of infornation up front somewhere on the specsheets for their folders?
Jim, can't vouch for the other brands but Dahon do put full specsheets up on their home site, not only that but they are very upfront and generous with information and devote pages and pages to accessories and upgrades. Just clicked on their bikes to recheck, (although I already know being a Dahon owner), and there under 'specs' and the very first in the line up, the D7, were it's folded specs of quote: 32 x 66 x 75 cm (12.5" x 26" x 29.5") unquote. In fact being American they give the folded size info in our funny euro metric thingy's and proper measurements in inches, side by side. They couldn't be more helpful.

- But that's for the Dahon site. You've been looking at Dahon's converted into e-bikes. In that case, those mods are carried out by independent retailers, and have no connection with Dahon themselves.

Dahon's website -
Folding Bicycles and Folding Bicycle Accessories by Dahon: International Bikes Overview Page

P.S. What a clever website they run too. I actually pasted in, "http://www.dahon.com/intl/folding-bicycles-intl-models.htm", but when I looked after pasting it had converted itself into the proper language you see in the link above without all the weird slashes and dashes etc.,

Last edited:

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath
Here is a link to the EcoBike USA Vatavio, which is identical to the GreenEdge Silverado, and clearly shows the folded dimensions:
ECOBIKE USA - VATAVIO

I do think that suppliers should be clear about how bikes fold, too; i.e. whether you have to detach the saddle, handlebars, etc., or if they collapse or fold.

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
Hi

Just found this on the Can-Do page video, showing 2 being pulled out of a small boot of a Jaguar. Music sounds a bit like a dutch adult video though.:p

thx

Bob