Tern Vektron S10 gen3

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I've broken ribs a couple of times, really uncomfortable for about 3 weeks each time. But it will pass, just cannot sneeze or laugh in that time.

On the bike, if the bars are not the type that are fatter in the middle, then I'd look at changing the stem and bars to ones that are.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Perhaps enquire if C H White or Son have a suitable compatible replacement handlepost and/or handlepost upper, which can accommodate a handlebar upgrade?

Last edited:

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Still have the bike! ParcelFarce have failed to collect on two separate days for various fictitious reasons!.

Ribs are getting less painful at last so planning on taking the Tern in myself on Wednesday.

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Still have the bike! ParcelFarce have failed to collect on two separate days for various fictitious reasons!.

Ribs are getting less painful at last so planning on taking the Tern in myself on Wednesday.
Just got back from Epsom Fudges where the bike is now, much scratching of heads over the unusual break.

Tern will be collecting it for investigation.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Just got back from Epsom Fudges where the bike is now, much scratching of heads over the unusual break.
I'm betting Tern know it's not all that unusual.

Tern will be collecting it for investigation.
With ParcelForce? Let us know how it goes - they should give you a new bike!

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Things have moved on.

I am told there is nothing wrong with the bars, but the bike is being repaired out of good will and is on its way back to me.

I've asked for the bars back but they have not surfaced yet!

I'm not sure I will ever ride the thing again after a month of unexplained pain. Problem is I cannot find another premium mid drive folder and doubt a hub drive will tackle the hills around Dover.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've asked for the bars back but they have not surfaced yet!
If the bike shop and/or Tern have any sense, those handlebars will never surface - "No Win No Fee" lawyers may (it's best to enquire) insist on detailed examination by experts, before deciding whether the 60% threshold of the probability of success in court, has been met or exceeded.

I am told there is nothing wrong with the bars, but the bike is being repaired out of good will and is on its way back to me.
They want this to go away.

After your bike has been returned to you: Those handlebars are legally your property. Threaten to report theft to the Police, unless they are returned? Could be too late, as they may have been disposed of.

The bike shop and/or Tern have played this well by saying that Tern will look into the matter, thereby getting control of the evidence, then returning your bike repaired "out of goodwill".

I'm not sure I will ever ride the thing again after a month of unexplained pain. Problem is I cannot find another premium mid drive folder and doubt a hub drive will tackle the hills around Dover.
It's easy to convert some good quality folding bikes. I had never heard of this forum before I converted mine. I simply followed this video - used a BBS01B instead (my battery is on the rear rack).

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
As an independent, looking at the distortion of the metal around the break, I'd say that some time before that event, the handlebar on that side had a bash that bent it a bit and half broke the metal, then, sometime later, the up and down stresses from normal riding finished it off. You can see the buckling of the metal on the under-side. It looks sort of concertinaed, and there are a load of stress cracks either side. I'm looking at the picture in post #15.

Last edited:

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Thanks for the opinion.

I sent the pictures to a metallurgist, but needless to say I picked the one that contracts for Tern! at least he declared an interest.

I have followed his recommendation and contacted another company for an estimate on costs.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Law firms choose their own experts. If you shop around and negotiate, their overall percentage after a successful outcome can be lower than advertised. A friend got 10k after lawyer fees for a foot crushed by SUV in a supermarket car park. Not worth it apparently - he's still in immense pain attempting to walk more than a few dozen yards three years on. I have no idea how much you could get for ribs.

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Not too concerned about litigation, just want to be certain the failure was the bike's and not mine as next time could be more serious than a month of personal pain.

I'll look at the handlebar replacements if I cannot find a premium folder I like thanks.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If those were my ribs, I'd sue to encourage Tern to make better handlebars and bike frames, which won't break in normal use.

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Anyone know of a way to raise/replace the Andross stem/handlebars? I'm a well built 6ft 2" and find I lean fairly heavily on the bars and get numb wrists after a few miles?.

May not have helped on the accident either with bumpy ;lanes around here.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's one reason I chose the older Dahon Helios P8 over the Jetstream: the P8 has a telescopic handlebar :) Give C H White or his son a call, they're always assembling special builds and would know.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The Tern HSD S8i handlebars have a stronger looking shape... but the frame could still snap. IMHO snap anxiety is well worth avoiding, if at all possible. Tern really should have stolen much more IP from Dahon.

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Bike arrived back, handlebars replaced thankfully, but nothing else, even put the road scraped grips back on.

Waiting for the bars to arrive.

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
Will be out this evening for the first time in nearly two months and won't be on the Tern.

Will ride the older non folding kalkhoff for now.

Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Will be out this evening for the first time in nearly two months and won't be on the Tern.

Will ride the older non folding kalkhoff for now.
Have they kept the evidence/broken bars?

It's good to hear you're getting back on the horse. A different horse.

Sav

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2006
Great Mongeham
I have the bars but a full report on the failure is going to cost £1k to give me concrete evidence to try to prove Tern produced a faulty product.

Guess I have a decision to make.

Did not feel confident last evening and ribs are still a bit sore, but I will be out Sunday weather permitting

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I will be out Sunday weather permitting
Yes it's freaking cold. I've been putting off towing a wheelbarrow 12 miles on my bike trailer. It actually fits inside, which was a surprise.

I have the bars but a full report on the failure is going to cost £1k to give me concrete evidence to try to prove Tern produced a faulty product.

Guess I have a decision to make.
If @saneagle is right about your handlebar being damaged prior to breaking while riding, spending 1k won't tell you whether Tern produced a faulty product, or if rough handling either by Tern, your bike shop or couriers is to blame. Personally I'd sue Tern using a"No-Win-No-Fee" lawyer, and let them worry about hiring experts for analysis. I expect Tern will try to settle out of court.

Last edited: