Test ride on a kalkhoff agattu 8 speed

SteveRuss

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2015
Bristol, Uk
I don't think they will care, based on experience, but feel free to pursue this.

What leverage do you have to convince them to sign such commitment anyway? If you think they care about customer dissatisfaction, or repeat business, then you may be mistaken...
I don't doubt they will not want to make more of a commitment than they already have although considering they have already clearly stated that "This error only occurred in a small volume of models during 2013/2014 models" then they really have nothing much to hide if this is truly what they believe. Especially when they say that it's preventable through a software update. It's almost a non-issue according to them so what could they possibly be concerned about making a clearer commitment? They've already made a commitment. We would just like it to be better written and less ambiguous right?

As I haven't had the issue and you are clearly hacked off about having two motors replaced, then why don't you construct a letter and we'll sign it? I would happily do it if I was actually affected by the issue (so far!) but it would just come across as 'unnecessarily moany customer' to them for all the right reasons.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
It's almost a non-issue according to them so why not make a commitment?
I agree: if it's a non-issue, affecting very few users, and resolved since, then they should be able to commit to give an extended warranty (number of years or up to certain amount of miles). However, they won't.

Since the last replacement was made in October 2015, and that motor subsequently failed at low mileage again (and it's happening to quite a few other people), I don't personally believe the issue around the reliability of Impulse 2 motors is actually resolved. Maybe it was resolved on the new Evo motors (according to Kalhoff, those have "stronger gears" and "more reliable")

Anyway, I am rejecting the bike now, since it's not of suitable quality (particularly given its high price) nor fit for purpose, and therefore an extended warranty is no longer relevant to me. I have also spent hours so far going back to the shop many times, and had to bring a very heavy bike home with hardly no assistance from 10 miles away.

I am done with Kalkhoff and 50 Cycles, as it's a perfect combination of overpriced flawed products and poor aftersales service.