''That's Cheating''!

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
This topic has possibly and probably been aired before, so apologies if so.
I just wonder what you say when, as you pass an ordinary cyclist, you are accused of cheating.
It happened quite often on the noiser motored Powarbyke, but not at all yet on the quieter Wisper, but I used to say something like, '' Yes it is, good isn't it''? I wouldn't agree with them now that it is cheating, after all, we are not riding an ordinary push bike but an e bike, a different machine..
So, how do you react, what do you say when, as you fly past an ordinary, you are accused of cheating?

wotwozere

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2008
I can't believe its not Electric

I like to refer to the Utterly nutterly butter comment and shout back in my loudess voice.

'I CANNOT BELIEVE ITS NOT ELECTRIC YOU NIB'

and cycle off as quickly as poss

THX

bob

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I just wonder what you say when, as you pass an ordinary cyclist, you are accused of cheating.
It happened quite often on the noiser motored Powarbyke, but not at all yet on the quieter Wisper, but I used to say something like, '' Yes it is, good isn't it''? I wouldn't agree with them now that it is cheating, after all, we are not riding an ordinary push bike but an e bike, a different machine..
So, how do you react, what do you say when, as you fly past an ordinary, you are accused of cheating?
Hey Tenderbehind
Yes it has been aired before but it is always a good topic for discussion :D
I too have had the same shouts of "cheat" but I think in my cases it has been on a humourous level :D I normally say: bet you wish you had one and sail on by :cool:
There could be some genuine animosity but I haven't come across it yet in an obvious way and when I do I will fling back a few words as I comfortably leave them for dust and will be sure they won't catch me! :D
Happy Biking
Mandy

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
I like to refer to the Utterly nutterly butter comment and shout back in my loudess voice.

'I CANNOT BELIEVE ITS NOT ELECTRIC YOU NIB'

and cycle off as quickly as poss

THX

bob
Hi Bob
Nib? I like that word :D :cool:

siggah5

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 21, 2008
Hi Bob
I suppose it's better than flying by them in a car or 4x4,anyway stuff the wee rats that shout cheat thats what i say. Andy pandy.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I've only had it said once to me, so far.
To reach our Tesco's one has to climb a very steep long hill (1.5m climb).
I was locking my bike up at Tesco's when one of the employees from a group smoking shouted across something like "That's cheating - using an electric bike".
I looked up, then looked back to the cycle rack (empty except for my bike) and replied "Maybe that's why I'm the only one here", pointed to the 99% empty rack and walked off.
There was no further comment - perhaps I stunned them into science :)

I have since had a few passing comments from the staff but because of the high petrol costs all have been friendly/envious comments :)

Last edited:

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
I've gotten the cheating comment with the LaFree. Though when I sometimes point out it's a pedelac assist only, they often seem disapointed that's there's any effort involved at all. So, maybe that counters some envy.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
It's still not happened to me but I guess that's because I have the Cytronex Trek. No-one notices. Even people who come and take a look at it! I have to tell them it's an electric bike. The only person to make a comment to me was a security guy who said he thought I had a lot of bottle.

I thought it was reference to my unusual bravery taking a 2 wheeler out on the road. And well it may - I sometimes think it's true myself. But it occurred to me lately that he might have been referring to the battery :D

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
That's Cheating!

Maybe people are more polite around here but I have had no such comments and I regularly see plenty of "real cyclists" - Lycra, head-down, going like the clappers. I have seen them individually, in pairs and in large groups but never any insults. The Tasman is virtually silent though, and maybe the fact that I do not ape them - definitely NO LYCRA, sit-up and beg position and decidedly large size (fat) all help.

Plenty of waves ie one or two fingers raised (in polite greeting, not what you might have been thinking) from the handle-bars.

I live a few miles to the north of Liverpool; where are all these idiots other ebikers find? Not that I want any, you understand.

Iain

PS I have seen a Synergie Mistral (I think it was a Mistral) a few times but no other electric bikes locally.
:)

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Maybe people are more polite around here but I have had no such comments and I regularly see plenty of "real cyclists" - Lycra, head-down, going like the clappers. I have seen them individually, in pairs and in large groups but never any insults. The Tasman is virtually silent though, and maybe the fact that I do not ape them - definitely NO LYCRA, sit-up and beg position and decidedly large size (fat) all help.

Plenty of waves ie one or two fingers raised (in polite greeting, not what you might have been thinking) from the handle-bars.

:)
That's been very much my experience. Polite nods & smiles :)

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Ha, i used to tell them with a grin..."go kiss a fusebox..." now i smile all coy and give them a sly wink, find it stops 'em cold.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Ebikes

I've been accused of cheating a few times by workmates but it is all in good fun.
When travelling on the Tyne tunnel escalator or in the lift conversations often take place. Some people recognised my previous bike, the Lafree, as being an electric bike but few realise the Pro Connect is one. The first question they do ask though, is how much do they cost to buy!