The Acabion

Grandad

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2007
Devon
grandads.googlepages.com
Something to look forward to?

See here.

he Acabion GTBO minimises weight and maximises power and aerodynamic efficiency. The effects are just out of this world", he said.

"The GTBO is the trendsetter towards a new generation of crafts in two categories, both hyper efficient.

"One category is pure electric for city traffic and distances up to 300 miles.

"The other category is petrol driven with 10 times the punch and a range of up to 1000 miles per fuel-stop.

Jeremy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2007
Salisbury
Interesting, it's sparked my imagination a bit more.

I've been thinking about using my spare Crystalyte motor in a faired, recumbent, velomobile tadpole trike. I already have moulds for a streamlined monocoque composite fairing, not dissimilar to the Acabion in shape, but the nose doesn't have enough room for pedal cranks to rotate.

I've spent an interesting hour or so reading the law on electrically assisted pedal cycles, and believe that it is technically legal to build an indirect pedal system, provided that the trike can be propelled by means of the pedals. I'm assuming that if the trike can still be pedal propelled without the battery being connected, then this would qualify.

What I have in mind is a linear pedal system that drives an alternator. The alternator charges the on-board battery and also supplies power to the motor controller. A pedelec type system would be fitted so that power without "pedalling" wouldn't be possible.

Having read the law I'm reasonably sure that this is technically legal, even if it is a bit odd and far removed from the concept of a normal ebike.

Jeremy

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
this might be difficult to park in the bike rack at my morrisons......and a bit too long to get round the anti bike gates at top of street...:)