The anticipated Cambs busway and cycle path

verntern

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2010
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
Completely built but not functioning yet because of contractual wrangling over some quality issues. A dedicated, guided bus track from St Ives in Cambridgeshire to central Cambridge for 15 miles. The buses enter the track, engage side wheels and then steer themselves. Built following an old railway line axed under Beeching in the 60's. At the moment non-operational and walkers and cyclists are enjoying an empty environment. However, when it does get up and running, alongside is a dedicated cycle pathway. 15 miles of flat cycling or e-biking through some attractive countryside and villages.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
NO - NO - NO - I - AM - SOOOooooo - JEALOUS!!!!! (throws a fit combined with a Class AAA tantrum)!

Vikki (falls sobbing into the corner).

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
NO - NO - NO - I - AM - SOOOooooo - JEALOUS!!!!! (throws a fit combined with a Class AAA tantrum)!

Vikki (falls sobbing into the corner).
All you have to do is get on the Catamaran to Ryde, train to Sandown, and then you have 15 miles of cyclepath through the beautiful IOW countryside on disused railway lines to Wootton via Newport.

This is WallyTheWisper taking a break at Merstone Junction Platform 2 last week.

Of course, the more new cycle tracks the better all round the country.

Colin

Photo was Uploaded with ImageShack.us

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
There's quite a bit of this in Sussex, too, including a lovely ride from Hellingly to Heathfield.

My dad was a railwayman and used to do that run as the fireman. Today it's a cycle track and quite lovely. He used to come home covered in burns and exhausted. I come home from the same run energised and sun-tanned (sometimes). How times change.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Funnily enough I was thinking of taking the car ferry to Fishbourne and nipping across to Cowes and doing that cycle path to Sandown and back. Don't like the £18 fare, though.

I'd take the Cat but I'm not sure if they would allow Trikey on there. Plus it'd be a ride from Ryde to Cowes.

I dare say I'll do it, I'm on holiday next week :D

Vikki.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
They won't let Trikey on the Cat - you would have to take Bikey. Parts of the path could be a bit narrow for a trike, if you meet bikes or walkers coming the other way.
I would recommend a day out would be Cat to Ryde then take the cycle route through Seaview to Nettlestone. Then join the Round Island Route through St Helens, Bembridge, Yarbridge to Alverstone where you join the old railway track to Newport, continuing to Wootton Bridge. Join the cycle route through Fishbourne back to Ryde.

There are a few hills between Ryde and Alverstone, but once on the old railway it is time to turn off the motor and take it nice and slow and enjoy the scenery.

This link gives the route:

http://www.iwight.com/living_here/environment/rights_of_way/images/RTI1.pdf

I think the narrow winding roads on the Island are more suited to two wheels rather than three - it is difficult for cars and buses to pass two wheels in most places - drivers may lose a bit of patience stuck behind a trike.

Colin

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
An interesting route.

I want to ride the trike whilst on holiday. it appears the IoW is not the place to do it. I'm looking to do a 50 miler (already done a 30 miler on Trikey and same on SB). I sometimes use SB to prove a route suitable for the trike before taking it. Don't really fancy paying the fare twice, though.

Mind you, I've been on the island loads of times by hoof and train (and a bus once) and the roads are horribly narrow in places. I think I'll give the IoW a miss in this instance.

What I want is a nice route out (25 miles) to an interesting place and then back. I don't really want to wander around aimlessly.

I'll see what I can dig up route-wise. Biggest pain where I live is it's a 4 mile ride just to get out of Portsmouth then another couple of miles before you even start on the country riding.

Best regards.

Vikki.

verntern

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 12, 2010
St Ives, Cambridgeshire
A further note about the 'revolutionary' Cambridgeshire busway and cyclepath. It should be good when eventually opened. Will take some pressure off the infamous A14. The buses run on 100% biofuel. Lovely design with comfy leather seats, free wi-fi and air conditioning. These are day-to-day service buses. The bus operators bought a huge fleet in anticipation of the scheduled opening of the dedicated busway. Their slogan on the side of the buses was ' We'll be on the busway soon - will you?' They have a good sense of humour. Now the slogan has been replaced to 'Will we be on the busway soon?'. Over a year since the buses were operational and the track still not opened. When it does become operational we locals hope to forget the A14 with enormous east-west traffic and an average closure 2 or 3 times a week due to accidents. Parallel to the A14 there will be the guided busway and stress-free travel. Parallel to the busway is the dedicated cycleway for 15 miles. Buses will only pass by every 20 minutes. Are there less toxic fumes from biofuel?

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
Fallowfield Loop

In Manchester we have the 8 mile long Fallowfield Loop http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/mapping/cyclemaps/downloads/fallowfieldloop_map.pdf . This is an off-road urban cycleway that follows the track of a disused railway. It also connects up with the canal towpaths and can therefore extend into Manchester, going by the City of Manchester stadium, or the other way across into Derbyshire. It means I can ride from my home and almost all the way to work in the centre, off road and a great ride, approx 15 miles round trip.:)

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
CeeGee:

Have you done the Medina cyclepath between Cowes and Sandown? The path is supposed to be on a disused railway track. I'm surprised that it is too narrow in places for a trike. Strikes me it's not as good a path as they claim. Bummer! :(

Best regards.

Vikki.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Hi Vikki,

I have done the Sandown to Newport part a few times, and there are a couple of narrow parts where the track leaves the railway and it would be awkward to pass cyclists coming the other way if you are on a trike. There is also the problem of road crossings - if you can get your trike round this then you will probably be OK:

Alverstone, Sandown, Isle Of Wight, UK - Google Maps

I didn't see any trikes on the Island in the three weeks I have spent there in the past year, and as I haven't ridden one for 40+ years (and that was a racing one - definitely not suitable for any off-road use) I don't know how manouverable your, or any other trike is. I hope that this helps.

Colin

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, Colin. That helps plenty and thanks for the link. I see what you mean about narrow sections. Looks like I'll have to do it on SB rather than the trike, if I decide to do it. Still, a long ride is still nice on two wheels. :D

I've seen only one other trike in the 4+ years I've been riding.

Quick piccy :D

I might chance it :eek: Any idea what it's like getting from Fishbourne to the start of the cycleway?

Best regards.

Vikki.

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
There is a cycle route from Fishbourne to East Cowes, then across to the railway track path in West Cowes, but if you are taking Bikey I would get the Cat to Ryde - they have room for a dozen bikes (or more) and a nice sun deck to relax on during the voyage. With the Wisper you can also see over the hedges - something you can't do with your trike.
I have sent you a PM about maps of the area which you may find useful

Colin

ps: Is that a water bottle or a fire extinguisher next to the seat - always useful to be prepared - especially with one's backside so close to the ground.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Thanks, Colin. I've responded.

It's both, really, especially after going down hill at speed. Water bottle to quench my parched, scared witless mouth, and fire extinguisher to put the brakes out :eek:

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Cycle City UK aka Cambridge
What a horrible cycleway!!!!!

Yesterday afternoon I thought to myself lets go explore the cycleway to St Ives, nice day and a full battery what more could you want? Well, a Dutch victory in the football would have been nice but, I digress.

I started off on the actual concrete the buses will use when it gets operational as I saw one or two others doing that. Only trouble with that, is they are quite narrow and have a high lip where the guide wheels run against, which meant I kept catching my pedals unless you kept an arrow straight line. So after a mile or so and a few near moments I switched to the cycleway.

In the first instance it looks ok but , the further away from Cambridge you get the rougher it becomes. The material used are some form of Grey chippings which are not really cycle friendly in my humble opinion, they seem to be breaking down into a dust which got everywhere.

Then the problems started!! As the surface got rougher I lost power a few times :confused: So I stopped, checked connections, all seemed fine. I had done about 12 or 13 km at this point but, not wanting to cycle unassisted (maybe?) I turned around and slowly headed home. I had another couple of power losses and 03 showing on the LCD/Computer which on later reading indicates motor cables connections need checking but, I was doing that each time.

Anyway, got back home for football, afterwards thought I would try bike again. No problems at all! This morning though, different story! All the way to work it was stop/start check ok stop/start! LCD/Computer showing 04 ( low battery) and 03 again! Battery was charged last night should be no problem there? Thinking that are more connectors in the little panel at the bottom of where the battery sits, this afternoon I checked all the connections behind the panel. Ah, I found a single purple wire had become unconnected, so I am now going to get on my bike and ride home after posting this.

Regards,

Mike.

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Problem Solved!

It worked, no problems other than that bumping around on the cycleway! I will not be going on that again until they pave it properly? How much would it cost after all the money they/us have spent on it? 150 million pounds so far! :eek:

Maybe it needs a cowboy tarmacadam expert, 200 grand would sort it :D

Happy boy!

Regards,

Mike.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
On my Wisper that purple wire selects between pedelec mode and power on demand mode. Is it different on the Alpino?

Vikki.

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Purple Wire

On my Wisper that purple wire selects between pedelec mode and power on demand mode. Is it different on the Alpino?

Vikki.
Thinking back, yes it would appear to serve the same function on the Alpino! Would be good to have a decent wiring diagram though. I am not to keen on playing around with the wiring on a new bike but, it worked and in the end thats all I want from my wonderful machine! ;)

Regards,

Mike.

Vikki

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2009
Hi, Mike. You probably coincedentally fixed the problem when you had the cover off and were twiddling around inside :)

Glad to hear it's working properly again, must be a relief.

Did you get the white Alpino? The white one looks sooooo cool :D

Best regards.

Vikki.

MAB

Pedelecer
May 12, 2010
Glad to hear it's working properly again, must be a relief.

Did you get the white Alpino? The white one looks sooooo cool :D

Best regards.

Vikki.
Hi Vikki,

Definitely relieved!:D

All Alpino's are white and yes, I love the colour! :cool: :cool:

Regards,

Mike.