The Anything Thread that is Never off subject.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This thread starting post is my reply to the quoted off subject post in the Electric Bicycles forum. Please use either it, or this forum with a new thread, for any off electric bike subject you want to post about, placing it in this forum that was always intended for that purpose:

Trump has just lost his suit against the New York Times, been ordered to pay half a million dollars legal costs. He will have to deal with E Jean Carroll court case this coming weeks which follows the previous case against her and he lost.

It seems that his way out is for the US supreme court to give him absolute immunity on everything.
I actually want Trump to get re-elected as president again, since it is the best chance of ending the madness of the Ukraine war. Russia will never give in there, no matter the cost, so ultimately the Ukrainians will come to their senses and get rid of Zelensky to stop the war with a compromise. Georgia has done this with their equally war causing causing president Saakashvili. In 2021 he began serving a six-year prison sentence in Georgia on their charges of abuse of power and the Georgians have since enjoyed a settled independent situation through an agreement with Russia.

Trumps "America First" policies are most likely to bring a stop to the USA's continuing supply of arms to Ukraine that sustains this pointless war, and bring a corresponding halt to Europe's arms supplies, giving both the Ukrainians and Russia a much needed opportunity to reach a settlement.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I replied to Lenny's posts and between his and my posts which crossed with someone else. Issues like covid and wars (in Ukraine, in the Middle East and elsewhere), Donald Jacob Trump and big oils are tied to the cost of energy, I posted there.
Personally, I think Trump does not matter in the continuation of wars because wars are linked to oil and arms companies interests. I still don't understand why nearly half of US voters voted for him. They can't be all rich enough to benefit from his politics and if for his entertaining skills, most of his jokes are offensive to a lot of them or stupid (like recently, he said magnets don't work if wet).

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I replied to Lenny's posts and between his and my posts which crossed with someone else. Issues like covid and wars (in Ukraine, in the Middle East and elsewhere), Donald Jacob Trump and big oils are tied to the cost of energy, I posted there.
Personally, I think Trump does not matter in the continuation of wars because wars are linked to oil and arms companies interests. I still don't understand why nearly half of US voters voted for him. They can't be all rich enough to benefit from his politics and if for his entertaining skills, most of his jokes are offensive to a lot of them or stupid (like recently, he said magnets don't work if wet).
Trump is America's Boris Johnson. Just look at how many times the British Public have fallen for Johnson's idiocy and consider they may well do so again. Then you'll understand why the Americans fall for Trump. It's because the majority of the public everywhere are remarkably stupid.

Last edited:
Reactions: jdallan and Croxden

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I watched a YT video, a guy who interviewed a father (living in Iowa and voting for Trump) and his daughter (living in California and can't bear Trump) discussing why Trump voters are anti-woke.
Her father likes Trump on the economy, abortion and immigration.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
  • Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Did anyone follow the GOP primary in NH?
Nikki Haley did OK-ish, losing 44% to 55% to Trump. The next battle ground is her home state, SC.
It's interesting to watch the left leaning channel MSNBC talking up Haley's chances and advise her campaign team how to beat Trump.
The problem for Haley is she has no policy, no support from the party's rank and file which is almost entirely MAGA now. However, I am willing to bet that she stands a reasonable chance of mopping up all the small states and give Trump a good fight.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it's also interesting to note that for the traditional registered republicans, their most important issues are the economy, immigration, foreign policy. For MAGA, immigration tops the list, then tax, then the economy, then the role of catholics in society. On this, it's clear that traditional politicians don't really want to address at rallies. Trump understands totally his supporters, delivered in his presidency, and entertains them with his racist jokes. Still, he does not pull in nowadays the numbers at rallies that he did in 2016.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The government of Florida is trying to pass a new law to allow taxpayers' money to be used to pay for political legal costs, ie Trump's legal fees. The amount is fairly modest, 5 million dollars. If it passes, MAGA will try next time to increase it.
I wonder sometimes if democracy is the right way to build a good society.
Any party winning elections can easily modify the law to enable dictators. Putin cannot be dethroned, Nixon resigned to get a full pardon from Ford are two cases in point.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
The government of Florida is trying to pass a new law to allow taxpayers' money to be used to pay for political legal costs, ie Trump's legal fees. The amount is fairly modest, 5 million dollars. If it passes, MAGA will try next time to increase it.
Any party winning elections can easily modify the law to enable dictators. Putin cannot be dethroned, Nixon resigned to get a full pardon from Ford are two cases in point.
Well, we paid Boris' legal fees. To be fair, the uk electorate are the kind of thick subjects of an anachronistic kingdom that will (and do) pay for anything for their masters.

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Well, we paid Boris' legal fees.
to be fair to BJ, his legal bill is tiny in comparison to Trump who takes every opportunity to make his case worse (like in the E. Jean Carroll case) so he can claim to be victimised by Biden and all the left leaning media like ABC, CNN, CBS etc. His potential bills will run into hundreds of millions which help him to rake in even more donations. If he wins, he'll get the taxpayers to pick up the tabs and he'll keep the donations, for he would have been vindicated that was all politicised.

Reactions: jonathan.agnew

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
to be fair to BJ, his legal bill is tiny in comparison to Trump who takes every opportunity to make his case worse (like in the E. Jean Carroll case) so he can claim to be victimised by Biden and all the left leaning media like ABC, CNN, CBS etc. His potential bills will run into hundreds of millions which help him to rake in even more donations. If he wins, he'll get the taxpayers to pick up the tabs and he'll keep the donations, for he would have been vindicated that was all politicised.
Other than £28647 we paid to sand his floorboards.
As with trump I've hunch were looking at the tip of the berg. MAGA and brexit voters must have some kind of repressed sadomasochistic baggage to collude with this kind of ****.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's never been the best way, leaving the running as much to the incompetent as to the competent.

The simplest way to improve it is the have voting access according to a minimum measure of competence, via a form of brief combined knowledge/intelligence test.

Introduced, then refined over time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You've all heard about Trump's court case brought by E Jean Carroll. Trump's lawyers applied to the Appeal Court to dismiss the case against him on, wait for it, presidential immunity!
His application was rejected.

• :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Jury punished Trump today in E. Jean Carroll case for 83 million dollars. If he carries on like he's been, he'd end up in jail for contempt of court. If he wants to appeal, he'll have to post bail.
Where is he going to find the 83 million bond if he doesn't shut up?
It's kind of ironic if a single civil case like this ends up stopping Trump winning the election.

Last edited:
  • Informative

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Jury punished Trump today in E. Jean Carroll case for 83 million dollars. If he carries on like he's been, he'd end up in jail for contempt of court. If he wants to appeal, he'll have to post bail.
Where is he going to find the 83 million bond if he doesn't shut up?
It's kind of ironic if a single civil case like this ends up stopping Trump winning the election.
The trouble being of course being that too much legal success against Trump could spark widespread civil disturbance, perhaps even making the assault on the Capitol seem mild in comparison. Taking on such a large proportion of the electorate is a dangerous game.

snafu

Pedelecer
Dec 15, 2020
Hall End, North |Warks
If anyone is stuck with nothing to do tonight it's Up Helly Aa (Viking festival) on Shetland.

Starts @ 19:30..

TTFN
John.

Advertisers