The Anything Thread that is Never off subject.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
apparently, the usual 'info warriors' have already theorised who controlled the boat and steered it toward the pylon.

• :D
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They are still speculating about the source of the cyber attack to attract more clicks.
I guess it will be China or maybe netanyahou to hit back at Biden.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Those are reportedly nice to ride. How cheap is very cheap? Rear hub motor conversion? I wonder what angle would the bike need to be, after it's front wheel hits something, or while airborne doing a high jump, for the rear swing arm to fold under the bike? Or is that locked in place somehow when the bike is unfolded?

A few hundred squid. Apparently the main thing with birdy mk1's is cracks (around seat base and rear swing arms) which cannot be repaired (because 7005 alu is tempered and loose this with welding). I've never been on a birdy before and immediately noticed three major advantages over a brompton: no road noise/vibration (front suspension), almost road bike geometry (could I suspect do serious distance) and good brakes (for cheap v's). All the swing arms lock in place but given I weigh 90kgs (and old birdy's propensity for cracking) I think I'll skip flying leaps over kerbs

• Informative
Reactions: guerney

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I sometimes feel sorry for Donald Duck.
He's used to not paying small contractors so when they took him to Court, he could wriggle out. Now he has to deal to Deep State's lawfare. It can't be easy while suffering from bouts of memory lapses.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
A few hundred squid. Apparently the main thing with birdy mk1's is cracks (around seat base and rear swing arms) which cannot be repaired (because 7005 alu is tempered and loose this with welding). I've never been on a birdy before and immediately noticed three major advantages over a brompton: no road noise/vibration (front suspension), almost road bike geometry (could I suspect do serious distance) and good brakes (for cheap v's). All the swing arms lock in place but given I weigh 90kgs (and old birdy's propensity for cracking) I think I'll skip flying leaps over kerbs
A steel framed Birdy would last ages - I wouldn't mind the extra weight because of course I'd electrify the thing. I check the welds around the central folding hinge of my 2006 Dahon Helios P8 every year or so for cracks, but so far they're holding up despite the odd kerb jump off (jumping on is asking for trouble of course with 20" wheels), do they chuck the frames into a big autoclave after welding?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I sometimes feel sorry for Donald Duck.
I'd still like him to get into the presidency.

If Biden gets in there will be no change, the world will continue in the present shambles where few countries seem to have one mind on what they want to do, least of all the USA and the UK.

At least with Trump there would be change, the fiasco in Ukraine would stop and the world could hardly be in a worse mess than it already is.

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
A steel framed Birdy would last ages - I wouldn't mind the extra weight because of course I'd electrify the thing. I check the welds around the central folding hinge of my 2006 Dahon Helios P8 every year or so for cracks, but so far they're holding up despite the odd kerb jump off (jumping on is asking for trouble of course with 20" wheels), do they chuck the frames into a big autoclave after welding?
Yes, would give anything for Reynolds knocking out a copy in cromoly (have weakness for reynolds tubing). The autoclave made me think about Henry bickerton shoving bickerton classics into a domestic oven (would doing that to a welded frame help? What could possibly go wrong?). The birdy sits on tiny, hard 18 inchers (that roll well but really won't do kerbs). Mines not electrified (am still trying to burn calories and having semi retired seem in less of a hurry). How's the slow running and bread making and search for meaning on your end?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, would give anything for Reynolds knocking out a copy in cromoly (have weakness for reynolds tubing). The autoclave made me think about Henry bickerton shoving bickerton classics into a domestic oven (would doing that to a welded frame help? What could possibly go wrong?). The birdy sits on tiny, hard 18 inchers (that roll well but really won't do kerbs). Mines not electrified (am still trying to burn calories and having semi retired seem in less of a hurry). How's the slow running and bread making and search for meaning on your end?
What meaning? Null and void! We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time and that's all! Weather warming up, will be running slowly and being embarrassingly overtaken by extremely elderly and/or ill dog walkers more often while doing - it's so embarrassing I have to cross over the road afterwards to put as much distance between me and where the embarrassing happening happened. My usual bread making flour has changed, the delicious stuff previously might have been from Ukraine? 18 inchers will do even better uphill than my 20". Weight loss has plateaued but not for much longer.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
What meaning? Null and void! We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time and that's all! Weather warming up, will be running slowly and being embarrassingly overtaken by extremely elderly and/or ill dog walkers more often while doing - it's so embarrassing I have to cross over the road afterwards to put as much distance between me and where the embarrassing happening happened. My usual bread making flour has changed, the delicious stuff previously might have been from Ukraine? 18 inchers will do even better uphill than my 20". Weight loss has plateaued but not for much longer.
I've kind of accepted the weight, it would take all the angst of adolescence to lose the extra 10kg gained since (won't happen). Were here for a short time, which makes the good bit challenging. I would try an elliptical machine in a gym (now that everyone infected with everything), zero impact, nobody knows your resistance, and frequented by younger, attractive walkers. Its good Friday and I'm working, which is a pain, but perhaps better. The birdy is a touring with an ancient sram spectro 7 dual drive, hub derailleur combo, bizarrely works like a charm and has the range of a rohloff

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've kind of accepted the weight, it would take all the angst of adolescence to lose the extra 10kg gained since (won't happen).
Just be patient and it might happen. For much of my retirement from my early fifties I was struggling but failing by a few kilos to keep my weight down to 70 kilos.

But now at 88 and during the last three years, I've been consistently the same 63 kilos (just under ten stones) that I was as a very fit 19 year old serving in the army.

Now it doesn't seem to matter how much I eat or how little I exercise, the weight stays stubbornly the same, day after day.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The birdy is a touring with an ancient sram spectro 7 dual drive, hub derailleur combo, bizarrely works like a charm and has the range of a rohloff
Overall quite impressive, I'm surprised the Chinese haven't produced a steel Birdy clone.

I've kind of accepted the weight, it would take all the angst of adolescence to lose the extra 10kg gained since (won't happen).
After losing 23.5kg so far, I'm at the same weight I was aged 25, but I was larger muscled then. I used to exercise to lose weight, but the problem was so severe I intermittent fasted for reliable and regular, predictable results.

frequented by younger, attractive walkers
Were here for a short time, which makes the good bit challenging.
semi retired
Semis should never be retired.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
That's easy when things are comfy, not so when you're in pain intermittent fasting. Thankfully the pain doesn't last more than an hour or so, after which the body starts to burn stored fat (70%) and muscle (30%) for energy. Hell it works for me. Perhaps chatting to your doc would be a good idea, before attempting weight loss through intermittent fasting. No pain no loss.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'd still like him to get into the presidency.

If Biden gets in there will be no change, the world will continue in the present shambles where few countries seem to have one mind on what they want to do, least of all the USA and the UK.

At least with Trump there would be change, the fiasco in Ukraine would stop and the world could hardly be in a worse mess than it already is.
AP has recently done a poll on how much US voters are motivated by fear of the other side winning at November 5th election. 70% of Democrat voters fear Trump winning, 40% republican voters fear Biden winning. It's true that if Biden wins, it's no change but if Trump wins, they fear the worst. Already under his last presidency, Trump forced new civil servants to swear allegiance not to the USA but to the president: which is himself. That's the first step to eliminate those who oppose his administration. Since his daughter in law took over the chair of the RNC, anyone who wants to work for the RNC has to give the correct answer to the question: do you think that the 2020 election was stolen?

• Informative

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Just be patient and it might happen. For much of my retirement from my early fifties I was struggling but failing by a few kilos to keep my weight down to 70 kilos.

But now at 88 and during the last three years, I've been consistently the same 63 kilos (just under ten stones) that I was as a very fit 19 year old serving in the army.

Now it doesn't seem to matter how much I eat or how little I exercise, the weight stays stubbornly the same, day after day.
Overall quite impressive, I'm surprised the Chinese haven't produced a steel Birdy clone.

After losing 23.5kg so far, I'm at the same weight I was aged 25, but I was larger muscled then. I used to exercise to lose weight, but the problem was so severe I intermittent fasted for reliable and regular, predictable results.

Semis should never be retired.
Apologies for delay (had MVA, bloke chatting to wife on phone t- boned, totalled my car at speed). Funny how dose of ptsd put things in perspective, happy not to be injured, less worried about weight). Retirement may well trigger weight loss (much of my eating neurotic, work stress related, look forward to less of that). Exercise and muscle mass is odd, conventional wisdom say more muscle means higher metabolism, at rest, more weight loss. But it's not my experience (I overfuel, gain weight). Probably best to lower intensity of workout. Retiring semi's is even more complex. Was tottering on audibly creaking knees down stairs at work yesterday thinking no one can possibly prepare one for the experience, anhedonia (but at least it's transcendent).

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apologies for delay (had MVA, bloke chatting to wife on phone t- boned, totalled my car at speed). Funny how dose of ptsd put things in perspective, happy not to be injured, less worried about weight). Retirement may well trigger weight loss (much of my eating neurotic, work stress related, look forward to less of that). Exercise and muscle mass is odd, conventional wisdom say more muscle means higher metabolism, at rest, more weight loss. But it's not my experience (I overfuel, gain weight). Probably best to lower intensity of workout. Retiring semi's is even more complex. Was tottering on audibly creaking knees down stairs at work yesterday thinking no one can possibly prepare one for the experience, anhedonia (but at least it's transcendent).
Sorry to learn that, hopefully youwont get too many flashbacks. Was that the Tesla? Sounds like the other guy is going to get taught more than one harsh lesson, which may be some satisfaction.

Gave up workounts at 75, not had any weight problem in the 13 years since, my body takes care of that extremely well.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Apologies for delay (had MVA, bloke chatting to wife on phone t- boned, totalled my car at speed).
That happened to a friend of mine lat year, wasn't killed either. Modern cars are relatively amazing in crashes - he'd have been dead driving a Ford Cortina instead of his oh so "cool" BMW X5, as would his passenger on the crashed into side, who only broke a rib. The driver of the other car also survived, wasn't drunk or drugged. The X5 was knocked over, of course a total write-off. He was fine after that accident but ended up in intensive care, ventilated, a few weeks later, because he'd chosen to remain unvaccinated. He was only aged 38, physically fit sports scientist.

Retirement may well trigger weight loss (much of my eating neurotic, work stress related, look forward to less of that). Exercise and muscle mass is odd, conventional wisdom say more muscle means higher metabolism, at rest, more weight loss.
Muscle weighs more than fat, I'm at the same weight with much smaller arm and shoulder muscles :confused:, therefore I've got less surface fat than I did aged 25, but with more invisible fat around my internal organs. I was amazed to see my top two abs appear several months ago... after over two years of wilful gruelling weight loss - I knew they were in there somewhere. Will continue, expose the other four. Feel much better, well worth it.

Last edited:

Advertisers