The Anything Thread that is Never off subject.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Sorry to learn that, hopefully youwont get too many flashbacks. Was that the Tesla? Sounds like the other guy is going to get taught more than one harsh lesson, which may be some satisfaction.

Gave up workounts at 75, not had any weight problem in the 13 years since, my body takes care of that extremely well.
Many thanks, it's curious, my generation didn't really believe in ptsd, but one experience hypervigilance, anxiety after an mva. Sadly it was a good Kona 64kwh I traded tesla on (before impact I thought I really don't trust Korean side impact protection, but it worked). Now waiting for copart to say how little they'll give. Other bloke seemed the kind of deluded fortysomething narcissist going important places who will require significantly more exposure to reality.
I was at my healthiest in Italy, cycling, using public transport, walking few years ago - not in the mad Anglo saxon parody of commuting, watching telly, bingeing and trying to undo the damage in a gym

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
That happened to a friend of mine lat year, wasn't killed either. Modern cars are relatively amazing in crashes - he'd have been dead driving a Ford Cortina instead of his oh so "cool" BMW X5, as would his passenger on the crashed into side, who only broke a rib. The driver of the other car also survived, wasn't drunk or drugged. The X5 was knocked over, of course a total write-off. He was fine after that accident but ended up in intensive care, ventilated, a few weeks later, because he'd chosen to remain unvaccinated. He was only aged 38, physically fit sports scientist.

Muscle weighs more than fat, I'm at the same weight with much smaller arm and shoulder muscles :confused:, therefore I've got less surface fat than I did aged 25, but with more invisible fat around my internal organs. I was amazed to see my top two abs appear several months ago... after over two years of wilful gruelling weight loss - I knew they were in there somewhere. Will continue, expose the other four. Feel much better, well worth it.
Yes I was sufficiently stupid to drive a vintage tr2 when young (doors opened round corners from chassis bend). If I were in that medical students would be quizing a pathologist about what's left of my entrails at this point. The thing that really irks me in my fifties is a change of posture I didn't see coming (I'm beginning to hobble like attenborough). One solution, I think, is to do inverted pushups in gym, it increases flexibility and is good for abs.
Edit - make that situps (not ready to crab walk like Madonna yet)

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes I was sufficiently stupid to drive a vintage tr2 when young (doors opened round corners from chassis bend). If I were in that medical students would be quizing a pathologist about what's left of my entrails at this point. The thing that really irks me in my fifties is a change of posture I didn't see coming (I'm beginning to hobble like attenborough). One solution, I think, is to do inverted pushups in gym, it increases flexibility and is good for abs.
Edit - make that situps (not ready to crab walk like Madonna yet)
I used to be able to do power tiptoe squat leaps, to hug my knees while high in the air, before landing softly. I can't think of a heavier workout, if you do those continuously. I did about five the other day, almost died. Also didn't leap as high, and didn't gain enough height to hug my knees - it was much easier aged 18. My thighs feel like there's torn muscle within, and they still haven't recovered - familiar feeling, they'll self-repair... but slower these days. Tiptoe squats are great for balance. I'll continue till I can leap high again, but it'll take ages. My karate teacher back then, forced us all to do all sorts of bodyweight stuff continuously. We'd get kicked in the gut if we didn't! Weak legs lead to the Attenborough Womble gait.

No gym required.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jonathan.agnew

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have seen a few citroen Amis in my town but not aware of when the souped up version is going to be released. Most popular EVs are Teslas.

• Informative

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
I have seen a few citroen Amis in my town but not aware of when the souped up version is going to be released. Most popular EVs are Teslas.
Yes, same here, somehow something minimalist, quirky (but with more protection than an Ami) appeals more than a three tonne pimpmobile
edit - there's the silence s04 (10kwh, 52mph,airconditioning), but it's £16k, which makes a used mg or kona look good value

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Yes, same here, somehow something minimalist, quirky (but with more protection than an Ami) appeals more than a three tonne pimpmobile
edit - there's the silence s04 (10kwh, 52mph,airconditioning), but it's £16k, which makes a used mg or kona look good value
Too low slung - looks like potholes will kill it and ignite the under seat batteries to burn your bottom to ashes.

"With both full, range is said to be up to 92 miles, but with 90%-charged batteries, my test car reckoned 60 miles in its medium power mode, labelled City, 75 miles in Eco and 50 miles in Sport."

Useless range in a couple of years? Highly likely expensive impossible to repair proprietary communication locked to hell protocol batteries, they always seem to be in electric cars.

Can you fit in one anyway? ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Motor Diameter: 10.5 Inches
Motor Case Length: 11.25 Inches
Motor Shaft Length End to End: 12.25 Inches
Motor Type: Brushless Permanent Magnet
Brushes: No
Weight: 150 lbs.
Max Voltage Input: 360 Volts
Integrated Sensors: Encoder, temperature
Peak Torque: 280 Lb Ft Peak (w/150kW controller)
Peak Power: 210 HP Peak (w/150kW controller)
Max RPM: 10,000
Drive End Shaft: 32 spline 35.5 mm
Thermal Cooling: Internal oil pump with water heat exchange
Warranty Period:1 Year

:p

use this for my car add.

Last edited:
  • Informative

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Too low slung - looks like potholes will kill it and ignite the under seat batteries to burn your bottom to ashes.

"With both full, range is said to be up to 92 miles, but with 90%-charged batteries, my test car reckoned 60 miles in its medium power mode, labelled City, 75 miles in Eco and 50 miles in Sport."

Useless range in a couple of years? Highly likely expensive impossible to repair proprietary communication locked to hell protocol batteries, they always seem to be in electric cars.

Can you fit in one anyway? ;)
It is a compromise too far (say it having wormed chiropractically in and out of a Berkeley b65 lots to become an organic crumple zone). But worming into small spaces keeps one supple. And lack of crash safety alert. And sitting in aesthetic boogers like a kona or mg in a traffic jam a compelling ways to experience the void. And can one escape proprietary manipulation (this conversation wouldn't happen without it)? But I mostly agree, in the end the range is too limited (on an s02) and going everywhere at 52mph won't be fun at all (and many twizies are being written of because the bios irreplaceable)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
EVs are too expensive to buy new, depreciate too quickly and expensive to insure.
I think I'll wait for the technology to mature a bit more.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
EVs are too expensive to buy new, depreciate too quickly and expensive to insure.
I think I'll wait for the technology to mature a bit more.
That is very true, but once one has driven an ev its difficult to go back to stirring a gearbox to keep an antideluvian airpump happy

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Which made me the perfect customer for my Leaf in 2018:

Already in my eighth decade of life.

Having the surplus money which I can't take with me after death.

Having no children to leave it to.

And the proven reliable Leaf and battery a car for life at my age, making depreciation meaningless.

After six years it's just a question of which dies first, me or the car.

The betting is it will be me, given eight heart events in the last ten days:

Including six of tachycardia up to 150bpm, one of lowish pressure of 75/51 and one of high pressure 184/87, all while relaxed and reclining.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Which made me the perfect customer for my Leaf in 2018:

Already in my eighth decade of life.

Having the surplus money which I can't take with me after death.

Having no children to leave it to.

And the proven reliable Leaf and battery a car for life at my age, making depreciation meaningless.

After six years it's just a question of which dies first, me or the car.

The betting is it will be me, given eight heart events in the last ten days:

Including six of tachycardia up to 150bpm, one of lowish pressure of 75/51 and one of high pressure 184/87, all while relaxed and reclining.
I'm sorry to hear about the tachycardia, I imagine it could be disturbing. It brought to mind what you mentioned about way we return to interstellar dust (long ago). But older I get more I doubt the redemptive value of anything (am caring for mother in law who's dying from motor neuron disease). On the plus side, it's indeed an argument for spending the money on an ev (whether one has children or not)

Reactions: Woosh

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ill have the car and spend all the money on gold bars for me transformers to stand on and make the leaf 1000bhp electric ;)

it wont go very far tho but be good at wheelies :p

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
then make it rear wheel drive or put a motor on every wheel :p

Advertisers