The Apprentice

D

Deleted member 25121

Anyone see this weeks Apprentice? The task was to design and sell electric bikes.
I challenge you to watch it without screaming at the screen............
Sorry, I had a much more worthwhile way of spending my time this evening, I cut my lawn under torchlight using nail clippers.

I find it objectionable to see Sugar making fun, and money, out of the less capable in our society.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Anyone see this weeks Apprentice? The task was to design and sell electric bikes.
I challenge you to watch it without screaming at the screen............
I posted about it last week, where I said that it would likely make you scream at the TV.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Chris M

Pedelecer
Dec 31, 2018
They maybe missed out on an opportunity which was staring them in the face in the Raleigh design centre. There is an endless choice of sensible e-bikes in this country which are all pretty similar but not much in the way of fun bikes. I reckon an updated e-bike version of the Raleigh Chopper would be good fun.

Reactions: mike killay

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
What is scary is the fact they are so clueless about everything, and as for the red bike hells bells no sane buyer from a bike chain would have ordered that, they obviously decided to be kind by pretending to order so there could be a show.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The whole thing was fiction. There's no way those traders would have paid £1300 for those bikes. That's very close to the retail price.
The £1,300 is the retail price, those special large buyers get 50% discount too.
So their price is half that.
Still, there is some good out of that gameshow.
Andy and me are off our feet rushing around this morning with callers.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
That ma
I reckon it's a Raleigh Strada Elite
View attachment 32609
That makes the whole thing non-nonsensical. Those dealers, including Halfords, would already be dealing with Raleigh bikes, so why would they buy from those dimwits?

I think this is the folding bike they had. £2500 is a ridiculous price for it. No wonder they sold so many at £1100. That's 127% profit! If what they showed were true, the Apprentices would have had to buy at a lower price than £1100 to make a profit for themselves - say £800, so a normal dealer buying from Raleigh would make 200% profit. Maybe they were just acting as agents for Raleigh.

D

Deleted member 25121

That makes the whole thing non-nonsensical. Those dealers, including Halfords, would already be dealing with Raleigh bikes, so why would they buy from those dimwits?

I think this is the folding bike they had. £2500 is a ridiculous price for it. No wonder they sold so many at £1100. That's 127% profit! If what they showed were true, the Apprentices would have had to buy at a lower price than £1100 to make a profit for themselves - say £800, so a normal dealer buying from Raleigh would make 200% profit. Maybe they were just acting as agents for Raleigh.
The whole program is a wind-up, there's no point in taking it too seriously.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
I watched the program (I have 3 ebikes) but thought both desighns a little dated as regards the battery mounting.
a lot of manufacturers mount the battery inside the frame for folding ebikes, and others have a shroud to conceal the downtube battery a bit.
halfords already sell folding ebikes much cheaper than the one on the show.

as for the efit bike for £1700 or
whatever you normally get front suspention, also I cannot think of any cyclist I know of any age that would be seen dead in that lycra outfit.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I watched the program (I have 3 ebikes) but thought both desighns a little dated as regards the battery mounting.
a lot of manufacturers mount the battery inside the frame for folding ebikes, and others have a shroud to conceal the downtube battery a bit.
halfords already sell folding ebikes much cheaper than the one on the show.

as for the efit bike for £1700 or
whatever you normally get front suspention, also I cannot think of any cyclist I know of any age that would be seen dead in that lycra outfit.
You're right, but looking back on it, they just went to Raleigh HQ and picked from their standard bikes, which they were allowed to rebrand and recolour - maybe add a rack, mudguards etc too, and minimal choice of tyres.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I came home from work whilst the show was on to find my wife shouting at the screen!!!

She asked if a group of dimwits could develop and bring to market a bike in a week how comes it takes me two years of late nights!!! Fair pont!!!

All the best, David

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I came home from work whilst the show was on to find my wife shouting at the screen!!!

She asked if a group of dimwits could develop and bring to market a bike in a week how comes it takes me two years of late nights!!! Fair pont!!!

All the best, David
You could have painted one of your existing bikes red and said, "done".

• :D