The Best Electric Bike????

D

Deleted member 128

This forum is unbelieveable sometimes. My wife can't understand why I spend any time here - calling it "pedeldicks". This current thread is a prime example of that. Initially it looked like a good fun thread, then the 50cycles bashers set it and trashed the Kalkhoff rating.

And before anyone asks, no I don't agree with how 50cycles have conducted themselves recently but as usual everyone got their knickers in a twist about it. The current vote is now totally skewed and not worth voting on. :(
Citrus

50cycles went well well over the top yesterday with their "Can-Do?" promotion and now they've got the huff when they hear what we think of them.

Bless the little darlings...

Citrus

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2007
Citrus

50cycles went well well over the top yesterday with their "Can-Do?" promotion and now they've got the huff when they hear what we think of them.

Bless the little darlings...

John
I don't think I was trying to defend 50cycles, I even mentioned that in my initial message - more trying to defend the Kalkhoff bikes which 50cycles happen to sell. The vote is skewed when people vote against the bike due to the company selling it. Make no mistake, the Kalkhoff's are excellent bikes.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is it possible that this is influencing the scoring?. Obviously, members are voting for the machines they actually ride. Then deducting a point from any machine that they wouldn't want to. Perhaps for no other reason than the absence of an independant throttle.
These are the reasons given by others for deducting a mark from Kalkhoff to date, a very mixed bag:

1) Kalhkhoff, sounds like a relative of Boris Karloff. Made by ultra functional utilitarian robots (Germans), and far too popular for its own good.....

2) very expensive

3) Too much farting about with rear sprockets

4) kalkhoff for cost

5) only pedelec

6) attitude of the distribution company

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Toyota Prius is a state-of-the-art hybrid car, (half petrol, half battery power).
Actually it isn't a hybrid car at all Danny, whatever Toyota might claim.

A hybrid car would use two fuels, but the Prius only uses one, petrol.

The electricity is generated by the petrol, either directly or indirectly through kinetic energy gained from the petrol in the first place.

Our e-bikes really are true hybrids having two power sources, electric and human.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
Hi Mandy, range is reduced, 10-12 miles pure power, 18 - 25 miles in pedal assist. However as the batteries are much smaller weighing in at 3kg a 2nd or 3rd battery can be purchased and carried in panniers or rucksack.

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd
fcurran@powabyke.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
can these 2nd and 3rd battery be all coupled up to form one thus increasing the range 3 fold ?.... i have read from beginning of this thread so hope later on no one else already asked this.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Powabyke-11
Giant-9
Ezee-11
Kalkhoff-8
Powacycle-8
Wisper-15
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

Kalkhoff - not sure where to start - build quality, frame sizes, rides like a bicycle, good range, very well equipped, good dealer back-up. Wisper - not that keen on the looks, one frame size, 26 inch wheel (look too small), lacking engineering finesse.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
can these 2nd and 3rd battery be all coupled up to form one thus increasing the range 3 fold ?.... i have read from beginning of this thread so hope later on no one else already asked this.
No, just swappable by stopping.

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Yep you got it Flecc, then eventually we will be left with the most popular. And it's just a bit of fun guys before anyone gets upset.;)
Other previous quotes " It's only an opinion, you can't be wrong"
Reasons "could include style or colour"

C'mon guys, isn't this thread starting to take itself just a little too seriously.......

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I'll give my vote to what I consider to be a pleasant bike to ride, nice looking, well made and proven to be reliable, has good pedelec operation, decent range, choice of step-through or cross-bar frames. It's available from a wide range of dealers, costing £500. Obviously it's a Powacycle, which is the electric bike that I have ridden most. I'm not surprised Frank C, who is in the industry and knows a bit about these things, marked it down as a dangerous competitor. For me it is the best all-round value for money bike.

If I had a second vote it would go either to Powabyke, for their reliability value and dealer network, the fact that they were decent to ride despite the weight, or to Synergie for their Mistral, which I've not ridden but seems to tick a lot of boxes at a competitive price.

My negative point goes to UrbanMover - nice looking and well marketed but the product was poorly thought through, with widespread quality problems reported.

Powabyke-11
Giant-9
Ezee-11
Kalkhoff-8
Powacycle-9
Wisper-15
Urban mover-8
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
Here's the opinion of the Tyne & Wear Jury :)

Kalkhoff gets my vote as a good looking bike, you can ride it as a normal bike without too much extra effort, and it goes up the hills easily.

The Gazelle gets my negative vote as an expensive ugly looking bike (sorry owners)

Powabyke-11
Giant-9
Ezee-11
Kalkhoff-9
Powacycle-9
Wisper-15
Urban mover-8
Gazelle-9
Sparta-9

Mandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 23, 2007
By Citrus: This forum is unbelieveable sometimes. My wife can't understand why I spend any time here - calling it "pedeldicks".
Now that was very funny :D

By Peckerman: Ok so here's a little game to play, if you're not all too busy arguing about helmets, lights,what to wear, bike names, zip ties and what car each other drives....
At the end, theoretically you will be left with the most popular?
It is an opinion so you can't be wrong, it could be function, price, performance or simply how pretty it looks.
It is only a bit of fun afterall and shouldn't be taken so seriously.
I bet Peckerman wished he hadn't started it or is finding it amusing, unbelievable,----- lol

By Flecc: I think this is drifting from "Best electric bike" into "Best electric bike to buy" with other factors being included in the voting.
Same difference really isn't it? :confused: It states most popular :D

By Citrus: Initially it looked like a good fun thread, then the 50cycles bashers set it and trashed the Kalkhoff rating.
A bit of an exaggeration though eh :D

By Phil the Drill: C'mon guys, isn't this thread starting to take itself just a little too seriously.......
I totally agree but the Wisper is still winning! Sorry couldn't resist LOL

Broadbeans

Pedelecer
May 21, 2008
Evening, colleagues! Anyone recall the Rolls-Royce story that may be myth or truth? Apparently they were gearing up to call a new model the Silver Mist, and were well on the way until one of the young apprentices pointed out that Mist is the German word for dung!

I reckon that Flecc should start producing electrobikes - they'd sell like hot cakes! The Fleccmobil range would consist of the Pizza (a neat model for pottering around town, the Montagna for touring and hill-climbing, and the 750-watt Veloce for rip-roarin' off-road fun! How about it, Flecc :- ) Johnny

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If thirty years younger maybe Johnny, but now I enjoy my retirement too much to get involved in making e-bikes. Doing the whole job means using China, and others get enough grey hairs from doing that already, so I'll leave the suffering to them.

My stress is confined to choosing which way to enjoy myself each day. :cool: