the best hybrid for conversion

szffagier

Just Joined
Aug 23, 2016
Leeds, UK
Howdy! My name is Pawel, and this is my first post here :)

I've been lurking through the forum, and ebike related websites for some time, and from what I know the best way for a value setup is buying a bike, and converting it with a kit later on. Correct me if I'm wrong :)

The question is now what to look at when choosing a bike? I need it mostly for commuting, but would like it to be versatile enough to go off road once in a while.

I tried to look for the sturdiest frame possible, so researched steel, but I think alloy will be just good for my needs (if needed I can always add torque arm i guess). Disc brakes would be a nice addition, but I heard there are some problems when adding a rear hub drive (I think crank drive will be more problematic to maintain or customise in the future, again, correct me if i'm wrong)
Also, would front hub drive be considerable? is there any difference in riding?

The example of the bike I like:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/orbea-carpe-30-urban-bike-p375909

I really like the bended frame looks. I would like it to be an investment I can customise in the future.
The more i read the less I know :) please help me out guys!

I set up the budget for the bike itself to up to 400 pounds. the conversion kit up to 600. Would I get a similar spec retail ebike for a 1000?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing
D

Deleted member 4366

That bike is perfect for conversion however you want to do it. A front motor will tend to spin the wheel if you get on a steep incline that isn't tar-mac.

My only thoughts are that it might be better to find a used bike for conversion if you can. The warranty on a new one can't really be used, and you can get good used bikes for half the price.

A carrera Subway is another suitable hibrid - only £264 new. You can get used ones very cheaply, but make sure you get a disc brake version.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carrera-subway-one-bike-18-no-wheels-and-saddle-/191951038418?hash=item2cb12c67d2:g:ZPcAAOSw0UdXuatI

szffagier

Just Joined
Aug 23, 2016
Leeds, UK
Thank you for your answer D8veh.
Since I'm buying things separately I also want to like it visually, and that carrera is not the prettiest :) Also I had Carrera bike before, and it wasn't great.
Do you think there are ready retail ebikes worth buying instead of converting the existing bike into one? I heard stories that people get bikes with specs worth 6,000 retailed for around a 1,000 ... :) is that true?

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I heard stories that people get bikes with specs worth 6,000 retailed for around a 1,000 ... :) is that true?
No, sadly not.

It only makes sense to do a conversion if any of the below are true:

You like messing with stuff.
You want something not available off the peg.
You want something illegally fast.

It doesn't make much financial sense to DIY.

Have you looked at the likes of Kudos/Woosh?

• Agree
Reactions: trex

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
For £1,000 you will get a better quality bike by converting.

The approximate value of the push bike part of a ready made £1,000 ebike is £200 or less.

As you've worked out, you could have a £400 push bike and a kit for about £1,000.

Nothing wrong with the Orbea you've selected.

An alternative would be a Pinnacle Lithium from Evans.

Similar spec bike for similar money.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-3-2016-hybrid-bike-EV244089?esvt=240-GOUKE1078224&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-528668-1&esvcrea=81521552576&esvplace=&esvd=c&esvo=EV244089-L-BLU&esvaid=50080&gclid=CJSVi9DD184CFUSfGwodIz0Ong

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

It only makes sense to do a conversion if any of the below are true:

You like messing with stuff.
You want something not available off the peg.
You want something illegally fast.

It doesn't make much financial sense to DIY.
This.

However, if you already have a cheap suitable donor or you can get one (cheap), it can make financial sense.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
This.

However, if you already have a cheap suitable donor or you can get one (cheap), it can make financial sense.
Yes, I have built them for as low as £350, with a new battery, but that's because I got lucky with some used motors at £50 each, and the £/$ was much healthier. I also keep a permanent watch on local bikes, and often buy them cheap when they need fixing.

But you can only do this if you have all the correct tools, skills and knowledge, and you can afford to take the risk of getting a lemon.

• Agree
Reactions: trex and LeighPing