The case for separate std interface items?

Davy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2013
I am new to this so would appreciate some help.
I notice that some kits are now being sold with a controller in the motor , or maybe the battery? If an integrated controller fails do you have to scrap the whole motor/battery?
If you install a kit where all the items are separate and have common industry interfaces, then can you swap/upgrade/replace individual items? Is that how it works? Are there common interfaces?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
No standard for any parts or manufacture standard . The big main stream co all like it return dealer and charge accordingly once out or warranty:mad: this often can mean no bike for long periods
Only In my experience if its Chinese some one on the forum will know how to fix it and where to buy the parts

Reactions: Davy

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I notice that some kits are now being sold with a controller in the motor , or maybe the battery? If an integrated controller fails do you have to scrap the whole motor/battery?
If you install a kit where all the items are separate and have common industry interfaces, then can you swap/upgrade/replace individual items? Is that how it works? Are there common interfaces?
With kit mid drive motors the controller is intergrated, but can be replaced on it's own, like the Bafang BBS range or the Tongsheng TSDZ2. Hub motors with intergrated controllers are generally best avoided as they are prone to failure and parts are generally not freely available. Batteries with the intergrated KT controllers are again freely available and replaceable on their own, but other brands may not be, as they are only supplied to manufacturers, so can only be sourced from them. Controllers and displays need to come from the same manufacturer in order to work together, but things like throttles and PAS sensors will generally be changeable, but you may need to match wiring and change connectors. Common interface dosen't exist as all companies use different software/firmware in their products.

Reactions: richtea99 and Davy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kits using ext controller can be used with nearly all hub motors and yes the peripherals can be any generic item as can the battery be, the controller only has to be matched with a suitable display.
Like wise batteries with integrated controllers are as above but controller size type varies so not a one fits all solution even with differing same brand battery cases.
Integrated gives a neater fit/bike build but not as easy to diagnose issues, though not impossible as they all use so called water proof connectors.

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
from the OP:
Must be my lucky day; I got very useful replies from four "Esteamed Pedelecers"!
So trying to sum up what is being said:
There are no standards for interoperability.

With European and Japanese manufacturers you are very unlikely to find replacement parts on Ebay, Amazon, etc. You are generally in the hands of the shop which sold you the bike to diagnose problems and order replacement parts from the manufacturers. Other shops likely to be reluctant to touch it. Also spares may take a long time to arrive from the manufacturer - if they are available - and are expensive because there is no competition?

With Chinese parts you will find that there are plenty of companies making parts that will work with your kit. But interoperability is not guaranteed so you are generally reliant upon the reviews - Amazon and Pedelec.

It is recommended to buy the controller and the display as a matching set. Controllers are usually designed to work with a certain sort of motor - brushless or brushed.

Controllers in the main Chinese crank drive motors can generally be replaced but not those in hub motors.

Separate controllers can be more easily replaced but can make a bike look rather messy; often the central triangle is filled with the battery and a controller dangling in a bag.

Pedalec forum members will often direct you to compatible parts - often from experience.

Ready-made bikes may have equipment from the Japanese/European manufacturers; in which case the motor will likely be part of the frame and thus definitely cannot be replaced by a third party motor. Some bike makers and conversion kit sellers cobble Chinese parts together and replacements are generally easier to source..

Have I understood correctly?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you have say a bosch motor ect and it is out of warranty peter is the only option for a fix.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
from the OP:
Must be my lucky day; I got very useful replies from four "Esteamed Pedelecers"!

With European and Japanese manufacturers you are very unlikely to find replacement parts on Ebay, Amazon, etc. You are generally in the hands of the shop which sold you the bike to diagnose problems and order replacement parts from the manufacturers. Other shops likely to be reluctant to touch it. Also spares may take a long time to arrive from the manufacturer - if they are available - and are expensive because there is no competition?

With Chinese parts you will find that there are plenty of companies making parts that will work with your kit. But interoperability is not guaranteed so you are generally reliant upon the reviews - Amazon and Pedelec.

It is recommended to buy the controller and the display as a matching set. Controllers are usually designed to work with a certain sort of motor - brushless or brushed.

Controllers in the main Chinese crank drive motors can generally be replaced but not those in hub motors.

Separate controllers can be more easily replaced but can make a bike look rather messy; often the central triangle is filled with the battery and a controller dangling in a bag.

Pedalec forum members will often direct you to compatible parts - often from experience.

Ready-made bikes may have equipment from the Japanese/European manufacturers; in which case the motor will likely be part of the frame and thus definitely cannot be replaced by a third party motor. Some bike makers and conversion kit sellers cobble Chinese parts together and replacements are generally easier to source..

Yes barring a couple of points.
Not really sure of accepting Amazon reviews.
Nearly all motors are BLDC type, brushed motors are old history.

Davy

Apr 22, 2013
Yes barring a couple of points.
Not really sure of accepting Amazon reviews.
Nearly all motors are BLDC type, brushed motors are old history.
So BLDC is the way to go. I looked up BLCD in the online dictionary and it apparently means Black Lives Community Development. I will give it a go. Or maybe it means Brush-Less Crank Drive?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brush Less Direct Current.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
mostly.
Chinese bike parts are mostly compatible, down to the plugs.
To make up a standard kit, you'll need the following building blocs, each of them can be made by a different manufacturer:

- motor with 9-pin connector
- Battery
- controller and LCD
- pedal sensor
- optional brake switches
- optional throttle

The integration is mainly to make the kit smaller and easier to fit.

For example, my kits are made with parts I buy from:

- motor: Bafang, MXUS, Shengyi, Aikema
- battery: Samsung and Panasonic cells
- controller: Lishui
- LCD: King Meter
- Pedal sensor: King Meter
- Brake switches: King Meter
- Throttle: King Meter
- cables: Julet

You can within reason easily change the motor or battery for example a few year later.

Reactions: richtea99

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
from the OP:

The bit about separate controllers dangling in a bag is not true. There are plenty of ways to make a neat controller installation.

Also, it's possible to get Chinese kits with the controller integrated into the battery case. These controllers are a standard fitment with more or less standard connectors, so you can replace and/or swap with another one, though there are not many different ones for each battery type.

For kit, integrated controllers with moulded connectors make a very simple installation, but it's more or less impossible to diagnose faults with a meter. Independent controllers with block connectors are better if you want to do your own maintenance.