The cunning plan progresses

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
The AW 3 speed hub conversion for the GNG mid drive takes another leap forward, laced and trued (to within 2 gnats)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360844158.512686.jpg

The cat gave it a looking at and said its good enough but asked why I used a cheap rim, the answer of course was that I already had it and wasn't going to spend ££ on a good one that cost more than the hub and spokes together

Cat called me a cheap skate :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
And another step... Need to slow down, I'd better have a little nap before I'm tempted to take the old wheel off of the bike :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360849137.287261.jpg

Thinking out aloud... may keep the derailer on the bike as a chain tensioner until I'm convinced that the 18t is ok, may need to go to 16t as 14 on the old cluster is like peddling fresh air once the bike is up to speed.

O'h I'll just order a 16 any way :D

Gear 1 - 75% (-)25% = 12t
Gear 2 - 100% Direct Drive (Gear 1 + 33%) = 16t
Gear 3 - 133% (+)33.3% (Gear 2 + 33%) = 21t

Last edited:

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
Another idea might be what I did with mine. I bought a 500w brushed controller from eBay user nova products uk. To use this controller you have to connect the key function unlike my previous controller. I wired in a maplin on off toggle. Useful if the throttle jams full on. But it also has a three way speed switch function. I find myself using the middle setting mostly because it is smoother than the most powerful setting.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
It was all going so well.....

And we know what happens next :rolleyes:

FFS !! cog is 1/8"... choose between grind cog or get a 3/32" one

Sorted.. Toys put away and will wait for the post man then, lol

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Well Dave, seeing as you have now ordered a new one there is no excuse for not getting down to work with the grinder on the old one eh? Is this a cuckoo clock your building with all these 1/8" cogs or some devilish new method of eliminating the good old chain drive for eva? I think we should be told.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Is this a cuckoo clock your building
Nooooo, nothing so complicated as that, lol

Just removing 6 speed derailer and replacing it with a sturmey archer hub

Could grind but it would get my fingers hot, unless of course I made a tool to hold the gear... but ordering a thinner gear seemed sooooooo much easier :D

Last edited:

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
So today was road test of the AW 3 speed hub... both myself and Mrs Old_Dave had a go and all was well.

Didn't do speed tests but will do that next time, the funny thing is that there are 2 methods of gear change and both work just as well.

The first is the conventional method of remove power, change gear, restore power and the second is to change gear and then remove and replace power (bit like the old pre select if any one remembers them)

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
The AW 3 speed hub conversion for the GNG mid drive takes another leap forward, laced and trued (to within 2 gnats)

View attachment 5106

The cat gave it a looking at and said its good enough but asked why I used a cheap rim, the answer of course was that I already had it and wasn't going to spend ££ on a good one that cost more than the hub and spokes together

Cat called me a cheap skate :p

Old_Dave,

I'm looking so hard at your wall to find any splash marks,but to no avail.:p If you are lost in thought,here is a clue: SUSPENSION SEAT POST.;)

Mountainsport.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Well... I was lost in thought, but now I'm just lost

Any hints & nudges would be gratefully accepted :D

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
The first is the conventional method of remove power, change gear, restore power and the second is to change gear and then remove and replace power (bit like the old pre select if any one remembers them)
Coo - that takes me back: Used to try to get a front seat downstairs on the bus, just to watch the driver changing gear on a pre-select.

We were easily amused in our yoof.

Old_Dave

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 15, 2012
Dumfries & Galloway
Every one sing along....

That big six-wheeler scarlet-painted London transport diesel-engined 97-horsepower, 97-horsepower omnibus. Hold very tight please!
Ting-ting!