The development of the brand new 2020 Wispers... in Pictures!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Mike, thanks!

1. Yes there is a thumb throttle on the Centre Motor bikes and twist grip on the Hub Drive
2. Good point, we will add one, thanks!
3. 43V system 450Wh 575Wh or 750Wh on both bikes.

All the best, David

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The rear carrier seems unsupported.
Not criticising because the step through centre motor is very tempting to me.
Supported in front by the aluminium mudguard. Often these type of carriers are limited to 15 kg instead of 25 kg.

I am about to break my piggy bank for one of these - https://www.herkelmannbikes.com/shop/wingee/ I just noticed the price is down 40€ since the last time I looked!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The rear carrier seems unsupported.
Not criticising because the step through centre motor is very tempting to me.
Anotherkiwi is correct the aluminium mudguard is an integral part of the rack suport. It is certified up to 25kg, the same as any other rack.

All the best, David

al.b

Pedelecer
Feb 14, 2018
lancashire
I did ask in an earlier posting David? weight limits(rider and luggage ) please before I have heart attack at these lovely bikes! and when do you think the official launch will be? cheers and well done, again

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I did ask in an earlier posting David? weight limits(rider and luggage ) please before I have heart attack at these lovely bikes! and when do you think the official launch will be? cheers and well done, again
Hi Al,

Weight limits will be 20 stones. The launch is at Eurobike in September, bikes will Best regards, David available March 2020.

All the best. David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Studio shots...

All the new bikes will come with either City, Adventure or Mountain packs.

The idea is that from two base models a buyer can specify the bike to suit their needs the best, it's been done in the motor trade for years. Will it work with ebikes?
  1. Choose a Step through or Crossbar frame
  2. Choose a Hub Drive or Mid Drive motor
    If you choose a Hub Drive would you prefer Cadence or Torque sensor?
    If you choose a Mid Drive would you prefer 100Nm or 125Nm of torque?
  3. Chose a battery size, 450Wh 575Wh or 700Wh
  4. Choose a Colour
  5. Choose the style you would like, City, Adventure or Mountain
  6. Choose whether you would like a Front Rack fitted to your bike
So from these few simple choices you can create your own very distinctive “bespoke” Wisper Wayfarer. There are over 400 possibilities...

Here are the three styles available in each model.

Wayfarer Mid Motor, Cross Bar, City

Wayfarer Mid Motor, Cross Bar, Adventure

Wayfarer Mid Motor, Cross Bar, Mountain

For more info go to...

All the best, David

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Yes, I think that's a great system. It avoids buying a bike then having to change things on it. You end up with a shed-full of bits you don't want! My four year-old grandson saw your bikes when I was visiting the website. 'That's a nice bike, and you can put things on the front'. What a perceptive lad!

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
They look stunning and being able to choose the specs is a great. When I got my 905 I changed to wider tyres and mountain bike handlebars and the idea of the front rack is great, Well done all at Wisper. Steve W...

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Cadence just measures how fast you are pedalling. Most cadence sensors just sense if you are pedalling or not. Once it decides you are it provides power dependent on the level you select on the control.

Torque measures how hard you are pedalling, and the power is provided to give a factor boost. Typically 50% or so in low/eco, so you are doing 2/3 the work and it is doing 1/3; and 200% in full so you do 1/3 and it does 2/3.

Torque feels more like riding a standard bike with extra strong legs. It also can usually sense torque and give full torque from a standing start; very useful on hill start across junctions. Cadence usually does not kick in until you have manged 1/2 pedal turn or so.

With cadence you can be very lazy; put it in a low gear and pedal so slowly you aren't pushing at all; the motor will then do 100% of the work. Of course, you can also have that laziness with a throttle, but there are various confusing legal issues about throttles operating when you aren't pedalling.

Torque is more common with crank drive and cadence with hub drive motors; but that is not always the case. CD/torque systems tend to be the most expensive.

lutin

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2019
Cadence just measures how fast you are pedalling. Most cadence sensors just sense if you are pedalling or not. Once it decides you are it provides power dependent on the level you select on the control.

Torque measures how hard you are pedalling, and the power is provided to give a factor boost. Typically 50% or so in low/eco, so you are doing 2/3 the work and it is doing 1/3; and 200% in full so you do 1/3 and it does 2/3.

Torque feels more like riding a standard bike with extra strong legs. It also can usually sense torque and give full torque from a standing start; very useful on hill start across junctions. Cadence usually does not kick in until you have manged 1/2 pedal turn or so.

With cadence you can be very lazy; put it in a low gear and pedal so slowly you aren't pushing at all; the motor will then do 100% of the work. Of course, you can also have that laziness with a throttle, but there are various confusing legal issues about throttles operating when you aren't pedalling.

Torque is more common with crank drive and cadence with hub drive motors; but that is not always the case. CD/torque systems tend to be the most expensive.
Best explanation on torque/cadence I've seen!

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Like the sporty rake on crossbar but +1 for clean lined stepthru as above. I do see the present rack's aesthetic attraction, so if 25kg, +2. Longer mudguards with flaps keeps it clean, +3, and a double leg stand means steering damper not needed maybe? Suspension seatpost always a nice option.
A 10kg limit on front rack as it's cantilevered out I'm guessing? I've never weighed my shopping ;-). And a parking brake means it doesn't roll away.
So carbon didn't catch on despite weight savings? Mmm, pity, if everyone used it presumably the premium price could drop. Is the stepthru a lot heavier than the crossbar?
Cheers, Mikel

Last edited:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Supported in front by the aluminium mudguard. Often these type of carriers are limited to 15 kg instead of 25 kg.

I am about to break my piggy bank for one of these - https://www.herkelmannbikes.com/shop/wingee/ I just noticed the price is down 40€ since the last time I looked!
Am i reading in the pdf on that website referring to a "Max 8kg je seite"? 8kg per side, or 8kg total? Mmm, pity, and 130euros, plus rack extn 27euros. Cheers. Mikel

D

Deleted member 25121

So carbon didn't catch on despite weight savings? Mmm, pity, if everyone used it presumably the premium price could drop
Carbon frames on a light weight racing bikes give a huge weight saving percentage wise but on heavy ebikes the saving is nowhere near as significant. Some of the drawbacks are difficulties in mounting stuff and the risk of catastrophic damage.
I was looking at buying a carbon framed Cube ebike last year and am so pleased that I saw sense and went for an aluminium framed ebike instead.

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Bring back real steel, chrome moly is light & supple, yes? And coz it doesn't fatigue, it can be thinner, even for cargo bikes. But I'm no metallurgist, so should do research before spouting off, hehe :). Cheers. Mikel

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Am i reading in the pdf on that website referring to a "Max 8kg je seite"? 8kg per side, or 8kg total? Mmm, pity, and 130euros, plus rack extn 27euros. Cheers. Mikel
Per side, 16 kg is a lot of groceries! They are aluminium and hand made which helps explain the price ticket of 147.89€ (shipping included) for a rear mudguard.

Tubus Fly = 80€ + accessories + shipping
SKS Bluemels 25€ + shipping (the front mudguard being useless clutter...)

So the price difference is not so much and the carrier has a lower CG, that is important on a trike. Plus the plastic Bluemel I have rattles like heck and flops about at speed.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
Bring back real steel, chrome moly is light & supple, yes? And coz it doesn't fatigue, it can be thinner, even for cargo bikes. But I'm no metallurgist, so should do research before spouting off, hehe :). Cheers. Mikel
My 25 year old steel mountain bike weighed exactly the same as my new fancy "lightweight" aluminium one.

Was talking about this in the bike shop recently and the chap there said that due to EU rules about bike strength, steel frames now need to be grossly over-engineered making them very heavy and expensive.

Could it be that an arts graduate bureaucrat didn't quite understand the relative strengths and properties of different metals?