The ebike market is growing at an amazing rate!!

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Had a bit of time to kill today so I visited 3 bike shops in Glasgow(2 independent? And 1 part of a chain)and I'm amazed how much these shops have increased their displays of ebikes this year and they must be selling them cause I'm seeing more and more on the road/cycle paths and it's mostly shop bought ones I'm seeing,not many conversions spotted so far.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
DIY folk are the pioneers - look at the history of aviation, cars... We will always be the odd ones out. I saw a conversion the other day, the first I have seen in about 18 months!

The e-bike is now mainstream after being a niche market for many years and it won't be long before more e-bikes are sold than normal ones. All the factors are in place to push mass uptake, France just added 10% tax to diesel for example. As soon as people have a work mate who gets to work on time and without getting all sweaty and tells everyone how much he is saving a month on transport...

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
I thought about the diy route, but after deciding cost of bike + cost of conversion kit with the time to fit and fettle and the fact the base bike is set up for non assist, in regards to suspension, I went with purpose built.
Glad I did, doesn't look like a dogs dinner with wires and allsorts bolted on.
I would of had the satisfaction of " I made this ", but I just like to ride ;)

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Ive got to agree with you,last year when I fitted the conversion almost everybody said the usual thing "It's cheating" my reply was usually along the lines of "cheating who/what" followed by ebikes are the future,in 10 years most folk will use them for commuting.i don't think it'll take 10 years now,it'll be less,maybe 5 years.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I thought about the diy route, but after deciding cost of bike + cost of conversion kit with the time to fit and fettle and the fact the base bike is set up for non assist, in regards to suspension, I went with purpose built.
Glad I did, doesn't look like a dogs dinner with wires and allsorts bolted on.
I would of had the satisfaction of " I made this ", but I just like to ride ;)
Let's see some pics then boyo. :)

Here's my dogs dinners.. :D

DSC00165.JPG DSC00667.JPG 2.jpg

Reactions: tommie

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
They do look nice. They're clean and very pretty. :)

My minging 3 boneshakers didn't cost much. But I'm convinced that they give me equally as much fun as the next bike. ;)
I agree, its whatever works for you, I do mostly trail centres in south wales .
The 140mm suspension and geo work for me.
Full hooligan mode isIMAG0361.jpg

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
They do look nice. They're clean and very pretty. :)

My minging 3 boneshakers didn't cost much. But I'm convinced that they give me equally as much fun as the next bike. ;)
Probably more so, knowing that you built them yourself (and if anything went wrong you'll know how to fix it)

I have my beloved '99 GT Avalanche MTB at the back of the garage, not ridden in years, I might just try my first conversion on that...

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Imagine with me a moment:

kh-01.jpg

Put a Q100H in the rear wheel, a HL battery with internal controller and you would have exactly 2 wires one of which would follow the gear wires up to the handlebars. If you pay attention to detail and if you go the extra way to drilling the frame and running the wires internally there is no difference between a DIY and factory. Especially as you don't need to mount brake cutoffs on a DIY bike.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and LeighPing

Tabs

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2016
Scotland
Hi leighping,Can't remember what make the seatpost is(could be the halfords one)but it's been good so far but av never tried any other one to compare it to.

• Informative

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
At any price point,i am sure a kit based bike could be built,with very little effort that offers better performance,and better components.

• Agree

argoose

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2017
south wales
This is the type of riding I do, so need the travel and insurance might be an issue.
For days out in the Beacons a diy ebike would be fine, but I do like the trails too mucho_O

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
DIY folk are the pioneers - look at the history of aviation, cars... We will always be the odd ones out. I saw a conversion the other day, the first I have seen in about 18 months!

The e-bike is now mainstream after being a niche market for many years and it won't be long before more e-bikes are sold than normal ones. All the factors are in place to push mass uptake, France just added 10% tax to diesel for example. As soon as people have a work mate who gets to work on time and without getting all sweaty and tells everyone how much he is saving a month on transport...
.. not to mention the grant being given by the French government for specific ebike purchases. There is an incentive to getting them used for the short local 3 to 5 km shopping trips.

• Agree