The end of the Pedelec!

mr-motorvator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2007
Once small electric scooters are made legal on the road the requirement to pedal bikes for powee becomes unsupportable.

As has been the case in France, Germany, Spain etc. for some years.

Back to Twist and Go! Hurrayy!!!!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
they are only street legal for the duration of small scale experiments in specific cities, but you are correct, if and when they are made legal, the twist and go throttle should be legal too.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
Once small electric scooters are made legal on the road the requirement to pedal bikes for powee becomes unsupportable.

I, for one, like having to pedal my bike, yes, I enjoy the assistance when I need it, but I also enjoy the exercise I get.
If I didn't want to put in any effort, I'd have bought a moped.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I, for one, like having to pedal my bike, yes, I enjoy the assistance when I need it, but I also enjoy the exercise I get.
If I didn't want to put in any effort, I'd have bought a moped.
I’m like you with the exercise bit but some people who can’t or don’t want to exercise want or need to get their bikes on public transport.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I often come across totally law abiding customers who need the throttle only for a few weeks to a few months while waiting for their injuries / operations to heal and they have been told categorically by many shops that throttle wasn't allowed. They certainly are not after going over the speed limit.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Nev

Fishy

Pedelecer
Nov 16, 2018
I’m like you with the exercise bit but some people who can’t or don’t want to exercise want or need to get their bikes on public transport.
I have absolutely nothing against throttles, or electric scooters (if they became legalised) .
I was responding to the OP's notion that the need to pedal bikes will become insupportable. I believe there will always be people like me who want to supply some of the effort.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Once small electric scooters are made legal on the road the requirement to pedal bikes for power becomes unsupportable.

Maybe not...

We are ready to start with our own range of Wisper scooters when they become legal. I understand that twist and go will only be allowed if the rider is standing up, if a saddle is fitted to the scooter Twist and Go is still outside the law.

What a shambles! Just goes to prove that Twist and Go should never have been removed from the bikes.

Best regards, David

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Maybe scooters should have to have a sensor to detect a leg scooting action? ... and refuse to give any power if you are just standing/sitting on the platform/saddle.

Or a torque sensor attached to your shoe for more natural assist feeling.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Maybe scooters should have to have a sensor to detect a leg scooting action? ... and refuse to give any power if you are just standing/sitting on the platform/saddle.

Or a torque sensor attached to your shoe for more natural assist feeling.
Quite Brilliant!!!! :D

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I have absolutely nothing against throttles, or electric scooters (if they became legalised) .
I was responding to the OP's notion that the need to pedal bikes will become insupportable. I believe there will always be people like me who want to supply some of the effort.
Sorry, I'm in total agreement with you. I was just responding to your previous post which seemed to be intimating that people wanting to put no effort in should buy a moped. Obviously these are not as portable.

• Agree

mr-motorvator

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 30, 2007
Some good ideas here - apart from the sitting or standing nonsense: does the scooter have different rules according to wether you sit or stand? What if it has a seat but you choose to stand?

I am 'pedaling impaired' so I focus on the Special Needs side, so for me pedalling has always been an issue of ability rather than laziness.

In fact a paper was issued by DfT in 2015 that recognises the benefit of e-bikes to elderly and disabled and says that pedalling would be overlooked so long as other aspects of legislation were adhered to. It just needs a committee to decide: How elderly? How disabled?

No cadence or torque sensor system has ever bettered the brain: pedal and twist - you decide.

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
How would a scooter help me with exercise and health ?
Wouldn't be no good for me when I go on a 100 - 160k ride.
Can't tow my loaded bike trailer.

They will be for the lazy people who don't wan't any exercise.
Only use of any good will be for commuters in large towns and cities.

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc
D

Deleted member 25121

Scooters are the ideal weapon for taking our people's ankles, even more so if they are electrified.
And when they're left abandoned on pavements they can still do damage when people fall over them.
Bikes can stop quickly, scooters can barely stop they're so top heavy.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Widespread use they will become a menace on footpaths esp if speeds are curbed, I for one will take action and try and have them off the damn things.

• Agree

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Seems they will forever be damned to the use of small wheels, and the limitations that come with them.
I see them as a niche option for many not an overwhelming replacement of bikes as we know.
Plus, their use on footways will IMO be short lived as their mass use by the inconsiderate will lead to an intolerable level incident of accidents with the other slower legitimate footway users.

• Agree

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
They'd be a menace to others on pavements if allowed (and quite possibly even if not allowed). Maybe they's be OK if limited to 3mph; but even then they aren't manoeuvrable enough.

I wouldn't fancy riding one at any speed on the road given the potholes others have mentioned. I can see that its portability when not being ridden is a huge benefit in some situations.

My (nonelectric) Triang scooter when I was young was only a menace to my ankles because of a wide rear axle with no caps.

• Agree

trevor brooker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2018
maidstone
How would a scooter help me with exercise and health ?
Looking at this from an overview I would say
up to 1/2 mile walk
up to 1 mile scooter
up to 10 mile bike

Very rough & ready & needs to be altered to suit abilities, but anything is better than simply replacing the current ICE car with an E car.

I would suggest that e scooters would need to be restricted to road & have the necessary safety systems to cope.

I did not realise that scooters offered the option of a seat, perhaps make then standing only as then that does offer some exercise, using the core muscles.