The Family man and E biking

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I have started this new Thread

So members can input there advice to other members

It Is a fact off life that fuel prices are going to keep rising

wages are NOT a lot off members will find no pay rises if not a pay cut to keep there jobs

In the last 12 months shopping at the local super market has gone up by up 50%

so where do you find that money

One answer is get rid off the second car and travel to work on a Electric Bike

Comments Please

Frank

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
I don't really need to find it from anywhere - after bills, mortgage, food etc all paid for I have around £1500 cash spare a month.

If it has to come from somewhere then I'm probably saving around £100 less a month than this time two years ago.

mike_j

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2011
Well when you are retired and see your cash savings earning less than inflation at best and securities dropping like a stone (though it doesn't seem to stop the financial sector pocketing obscene bonusus) you wonder whether all that saving was worth it.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
We got rid of my car and I cycle. Partners car is newer and more economical in the city and general traveling. Saves a bit but for now what I've saved in fuel I've spent on batteries and cycling bits.
I have no where near the free cash as others.

In the end I rented out my house moved to the city, changed jobs, cycled and now looking at a newer job.
House was paid for by me but with the new apartment my gf pays a bit and it's all class a electrics and windows and is mega cheap to run!

Fuel as pointed out by flecc is the same in money percent terms as it was 40 years back.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
ebike is an alternative way for me to make the short journey to work and also for leisure riding.
the bike running costs are £25 per month based on battery replacement every 2 years irrespective of mileage and an annual service. depreciation over first 3 years is £50 per month.........after which time i would expect a residual value at approx 25% of purchase price assuming it was in good condition and had not become obsolete due to technology advances......
as i dont have a second car and could not replace the journeys i make in the car by using the ebike, then the ebike falls into the category of a luxury item rather than a cost saving alternative mode of transport.....

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I still need a car/van on the road for work purposes, but the ebike has assumed a role of nipping to the village/nearest small town for top-up shopping (papers, fags, milk, etc), thus saving me a fair bit of money on fuel and wear and tear on the car. The village is 5km, the town 8km distant, so the mileages add up rapidly.

OldPedaller

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2011
The e-bikes are for leisure for us these days, but if we still lived and worked in the city I know I'd definitely use the e-bike as an alternative to the frustration of crawling in and out of work by car in the rush hours.

It's not just the fuel costs; it's the pleasure of whipping past all that queuing traffic!

bert11

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2011
southwest England
I started a thread about costs / payback. I found 2.5 years until I saw any saving on my £1.5k. And in this climate it's probably best to keep the capital. Driving a citroen c1 was a better money saver for someone who still needs to keep a car

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Depends how much your inital outlay is in the first place. 1.5K is pretty hefy.
My inital layout considering all bits and pieces such as new tools and electronics equipment - Nearer the £600 mark.

However its turned into some kind of strange hobby with a mix of electrics i am interested in (Becoming more useful each year with the advancments and in my life time will be used more and more so) and cycling as I like to keep fit.