The Mistral LongRanger

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Recently aquired from a forum member, this five month old Synergie Mistral has now successfully completed the first phase of it's "ruralization".

In the above photo you can clearly see the changes made. A pair of new boots....Specialized crossroads armadillo's, an excellent free-rolling puncture resistant tyre well up to the job of rural off-roading, and a bonus...they blend in nicely with the colour scheme. A Cane Creek "Thudbuster" seat post to ease the passage along Route 45 across the Marlborough Downs. In this photo, fully kitted out for extended riding, the machine weighs 31.7 Kgs. Add to this yours truely....gives a GVW of 109.2 Kgs. And of course, the most vital addition, the Phylion 10ah extender battery.

This battery was kindly supplied by Bob at AlienOcean. Bob will only allow a small amount of batteries to be purchased without a kit, so it might be best to contact him first before ordering. The battery was £210 delivered. If you already own a Mistral, you won't need a charger, just use the one you already have, it's identical to the one supplied with the kits.

The rack battery is fitted with a recessed female EIC socket, ( is that sexist?) the Mistrals power lead won't fit this and it's not long enough to reach anyway. You can make up an extender lead with a pair of EIC C14's and a length of 20 amp twin red 'n' black.

Originally, I had intended making up a sub-carrier that would allow the battery to be quickly locked in position, in fact, I had already started machining the parts when an eureka moment changed my mind. The extender battery is only going to used 5 or 6 times a year, so a pad of thick foam was cut and the battery secured with velcro straps. NOTE!. With a dual battery setup, never leave the key in the unused battery!, it can easily fall out and be lost. Put it safely in your pocket.

Trying to establish the demonstrated range of the machine has proved difficult, with only short weather slots, and never two consecutive days to complete the tests. Wednesday of course was a beautiful day for riding, a bit chilly on the fingers and toes, but long periods of warming sunshine. At 25 miles on the extender battery, all five lights were still on, so I flicked into sport mode and did a fast lap around the block. This included a two mile gentle upslope on route 45, running up this slope at full bore extinguished one light and the second flickering, but it wouldn't give in, slowing to go through an estate, all five lights came back on...at 28 miles I gave up and went home!!. I had hoped to finish it off today, but even before getting my porridge down my neck, it started raining again!.

One thing I now know, the two batteries will easily complete the 35 mile run to Marlborough and back with loads to spare. By the way, the battery is very fresh with a manufacturing date of March 2008.

So, what do I think of the Mistral?.

Love it!!. In the world of hub motored E-bikes, it surely joins the list of all time greats. In one word...INTEGRATED, everything on this machine just works together so well, the brakes, sturdy alloy frame and electrical system just seem made for each other. Don't be put off by the brushed motor, it's powerful, and as you can see from the miserly use of energy above, remarkably efficient.

I suspect when (if) the next batch arrives, they will be a good bit more expensive than before. Perhaps it will become a victim of its own deserved popularity. This is the reason I grabbed this machine quickly, with over 600 miles on the clock it had already proved it's reliability as a working bike. It will now spend the rest of it's life in pampered luxury, as do it's stable mates.

The Synergie Mistral is, quite simply, an absolutely delightful machine to ride.

All the best

Bob

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
That is certainly a great customised burgundy Mistral with its colour matching sidewalls. I find it a very fine model too with its smooth transition from throttle to pedelec to pedal only.

My own solution for a spare battery was to take two five cell 18.5 volt lithium polymer packs for which I had no further use, connect a 36 volt battery board, and enclose everything in a box from Maplins. They also supplied the switched socket (fused) and the connector for the battery charger. The spare is carried in the right rear pannier and connected, when required, to the main power supply cable with a short three pin plug and socket cable.

Attachments

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Hi Rooel,

Thanks for the compliments, very much appreciated.

That's a very neat arrangement for your own extender battery, would that have been a pair of power tool batteries?.

The weather forecast for tomorrow is quite good, so I'm going to finish the extender test and get a more complete picture of the range. If I do more riding and less chatting and photo stops I should be able to flatten it in an hour.

When I started the run it was in economy mode, pedelec only, but I soon realised I was going to have to work the battery harder, so switched into sport mode and really gave it some welly. I'll post the final result tomorrow.

There is only one small complaint I have of the machine, the lack of weld-on hardpoints for pump bracket and bottle cage. A pair of hardpoints on the back face of the downtube, likewise the front face of the lower seat tube would have been ideal. It's still a cracking good bike though!!

All the best

Bob

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Very impressed.

What's the sprung seat post like ?

How did you fit the mirror on the bar end with the throttle fitted ?

I'd love to know the total range on the pair of batteries run until empty, have to agree with your comments 'brushed motor, it's powerful, and as you can see from the miserly use of energy above, remarkably efficient.'

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Seataltea

Hi,

The "Thudbuster" seatpost works well, at 77 Kgs I left the blue inserts as fitted. It is of course supplied with two more sets of inserts for different weight riders. The idea is, that the backward and downward movement of the links doesn't change the distance from saddle to pedals. In use, I don't even notice this backward movement. There is one important bonus, the response to a bump almost perfectly matches the response by the Mistrals front forks.

The bar end mirror. this is how it's done.

Unravel the spiral trunking down to the headstock, and remove the throttle assy from the bars. look inside the throttle, you'll see a cross headed screw in the end. with a long screwdriver undo this screw and remove together with the large washer behind it. Remove the chrome cap from the grip.

Bore a hole in the chrome cap a little larger than the spigot of your mirror, in the case of the CatEye it's 17 mm. I held mine very gently in a three jaw chuck on the lathe, If you can gain access to a lathe or a friendly engineer to do it for you, it's worth the while as you'll see later.

Next you'll need to do the same with the grip end, I used a coarse round file for this as there is plastic behind the rubber grip. Remove any rubber with a craft knife. Refit the throttle to the bars, push the chrome plastic cap temporarily onto the grip and insert the mirror. Make sure the throttle still works smoothly, if not, either move the mirror out a bit or remove more material where needed to ease things up. Once your happy with everything, remove the mirror, and smear a little Rapid Araldite around the inside of the chrome cap and re-fit to the grip end. While the Araldite is setting re-fit the spiral trunking.

When fitting the mirror, don't push it in too far, if you do, the throttle won't flick back when you let go. Now then!, you might be thinking you could then "set" the throttle in an open position, but of course you wouldn't dream of doing that...would you??.

If you can make a really good job of that hole in the chrome cap, it will act as an outboard bearing and take the floppiness out of the Mistrals throttle. That's were the lathe comes in handy. One last thing, this cannot be done on the Wisper 905. The throttle on those machines has an outboard bearing, which of course is why it doesn't flop about like the Mistral's.

Oh, if your chrome cap explodes into a thousand pieces when making the hole, please, PLEASE don't blame me!!

All the best

Bob

rooel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
[QUOTE=Blew it:
"would that have been a pair of power tool batteries?"

No, these cells came from a pair of spare lipo packs which I had for the Sram Sparc system. The combined pack in the Maplin box weighs about one kilo less than the original Lithion Mistral battery which is helpful. Also, if a lighter bike is required, the Mistral battery can be removed and the spare in the pannier connected in its place. I find the range is much the same as with the original battery.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Range test result

Phylion have had their share of ups and downs over the last year, but, it appears they are now on the right track with the current production of LiPo's. I would imagine there were some pretty lively morning prayer meetings at the Phylion facility during the "troubles" of short lived batteries.

I thing we should be grateful to the people who worked hard to resolve that issue, including of course, the beyond-the-call-of-duty accelerated testing by young Flecc. (gush gush).

Establishing the ultimate range of the Mistral LongRanger took four days, one day being lost to inclement weather. Sixtyfour miles were ridden on the three other days. Both the five month old Mistrals battery, and likewise the new rack battery, turned in a very respectable thirtytwo miles each.

Riding style: Always pedalling, using "sport" mode as required on upslopes. Throttle not used. Ambient temperature 10 to 13 C. Average speed on cycle routes 10.9 MPH (lots of junctions and woofits on 30 foot leads).

Both batteries were run to a standstill, there was no sudden cutoff, the machine just gradually rolled to a stop. Perhaps I should mention, apart from initial conditioning, completely discharging a battery in this way is extremely stressful to it, and as Flecc has pointed out, will ultimately shorten it's life.

Some may prefer to parallel the two batteries together, but personaly I like to use them independantly. It's a choice!.

The test came to an end half way up route 45, A long but very gentle steam engine type upslope, it being the track of an old railway line. Quickly swopping over from the depleted Mistrals battery to the fresh rack battery, resulted in an invigorated response from the hub motor. The test was now over, so I decided to give my old legs a rest, lit a fag, and sat back and throttle-jockey'd the bike home with a fistful of LiPo fourstar. The machine held a steady seventeen MPH up that incline in sport mode. They don't come much better than the Synergie Mistral!!.

All the best

Bob (cyclepants)

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
64 miles! That's fantastic Bob, very impressed. I really like the way your bike looks and I'll be very interested to hear how she compares to the new 720 bike when you get it.

The kettle lead type sockets do make me giggle though ;)

Daz

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Bob, your recent posts have been fascinating and a pleasure to read, I shall go for an alternative mirror rather than follow your very detailed instructions, I can see me breaking something.

I agree with your final comment, for the money the Mistral is hard to beat.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
64 miles! That's fantastic Bob, very impressed. I really like the way your bike looks and I'll be very interested to hear how she compares to the new 720 bike when you get it.

The kettle lead type sockets do make me giggle though ;)

Daz
Hi Daz,

Yes Daz, the Mistral is a really great bike, not only to look at, but it rides well too. They should be available again around 1st week in December. Keep an eye on Ebay as that's just one place where you could purchase one, Don't know what the new price will be though.

Kettle plugs!!, Quite few bikes use these, makes it very easy to fit a second battery for long range riding.

If you like customized bikes, have a look at my Wisper 905 GTS Here

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Bob, your recent posts have been fascinating and a pleasure to read, I shall go for an alternative mirror rather than follow your very detailed instructions, I can see me breaking something.

Hi,

Can't say as I blame you on the mirror thing, It was a bit nerve racking boring that hole. The chrome cap has re-enforcing webs molded in to it, The sound of the boring tool clicking against them was wicked.

By the way, I have a confession to make. You remember the link you provided to your photostream of your Mistrals arrival?. I downloaded them, and zoomed right in on the frame welds to make sure it would be strong enough for off-roading. Needless to say the Mistral is well up to a bit of rough stuff. Thanks for those photo's, they really were a great help in deciding.

All the best

Bob

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
Hi Daz,

Yes Daz, the Mistral is a really great bike, not only to look at, but it rides well too. They should be available again around 1st week in December. Keep an eye on Ebay as that's just one place where you could purchase one, Don't know what the new price will be though.

Kettle plugs!!, Quite few bikes use these, makes it very easy to fit a second battery for long range riding.

If you like customized bikes, have a look at my Wisper 905 GTS Here
Thanks for the link Bob, I didn't realise you had a Wisper too. Obvious questions (sorry!) - why and which is 'best'? Do you have any others, such as the Kalkhoff Pro Connect or the Cytronex? Thank the Lord for people like you! :D

Daz

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Dazzie

Oh dear, Daz, you've put me in a tricky spot now.

Firstly, As shown, the Mistral is at the first stage of it's ruralization as I call it. By next Spring, it will be devoid of it's close fitting mudguards and possibly the chainguard also, it will also be fitted with a "bash" plate to protect the pedelec sensor on the bottom bracket. It will then be ready for long distance off-road touring across the Marlborough Downs...Wicked fun!!!.

The Wisper 905 GTS is setup for fast Urban touring on tarmacced(?) cycleways, hence the close fitting mudguards and flaps. It can of course, be fitted with an extra battery for up to sixty mile rides. The Wisper 905 comes fitted with a 52 tooth chainwheel giving it quite a high top gear well suited to my flattish area. This also means I can pedal at around 19 MPH with a reasonable cadence (the speed at which my legs are going round).

Both machines mentioned above are E-bikes, They have pedelec sensors... as soon as you start pedalling, the motor kicks in and assists. They also have independant throttles... if you want to have a rest, you can sit back and ride them like a moped.

The other machine you speak of, The Kalkhoff Pro-connect is a pedelec only, there is no throttle fitted. This means you have to pedal all the time. All machines in the Kalkhoff range are powered by the Panasonic drive system. They are extremely high quality machines, reflected of course in the price.

It really is a matter choice which type of machine you decide on. As you can see, I prefer E-bikes. No, I do not own a Pro-connect or a Cytronex.

All the best Daz

Bob

SEATALTEA

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Look forward to seeing the Mistral converted into an off road machine. I'm reluctant to do anything major at the moment as it's on the cycle2work scheme.

I do think it could do with discs rather than V brakes if you're going to get it in the mud and the electrics may benefit from a coating of this stuff. My mate swears by it on his motorbike ACF50

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Dazzie and SEATALTEA

Thanks for the link to AC50, looks like a modern alternative to good old fashioned duck oil.

What I've decided to do, which will answer a great many questions, is to start a thread on a typical rural ride, this will give an idea on just another of the many uses to which electric bikes can be used.

As soon as I have finished writing it up, I'll post it on a new thread.

All the best

Bob...the high plains drifter!!

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks Bob, much appreciated. Reason I ask is whether in their as-standard state there is much of a difference between them - or at least the £400-500 difference.

If not then I'll plump for a Mistral, get an extra battery and see how I get on.

Thanks again,

Daz

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Dazzie

Hi Daz,

Okay, here's a direct out-of-the-box comparison of the Wisper 905se Sport with the Synergie Mistral.

Both machines alloy framed, Mistral 25 Kgs....Wisper 24 Kgs

Motor: Mistral, brushed, unknown make but very good. Wisper, Suzhou Bafang high speed brushless.

Road gears: Mistral, 6 speed. Wisper, 7 speed mega-range + 52 tooth chainwheel (makes it quite higher geared than the Mistral).

Front suspension: Mistral, fixed spring rate. Wisper, adjustable spring rate + full lock-out if needed.

Rear suspension: Mistral, none. Wisper, sprung seatpost

Battery: Mistral, 37 volt 10 ah. Wisper, 37 volt 14 ah. (It's got a greater range).

Handlebar ahead stem: Mistral, fixed. Wisper, no tool instant adjustment of handlebar height.

Brakes: Mistral, caliper front and rear (excellent). Wisper, front disc, rear caliper. ( need extra care when first setting up)

Paint job: Mistral, Burgundy..Azure blue or yellow. Wisper, Metallic black only.

Frame hardpoints: Mistral, none. Wisper, Two pairs.. (comes fitted with pump and bottle cage)

Chainguard: Mistral.. fitted as standard. Wisper, none.

Computer: Mistral, none. Wisper, fitted as standard.

Mudguards: Mistral fitted with full length + mudflaps. Wisper, se sport is fitted with short sport mudguards, City is fitted with full length + mudflaps.

Off-road riding: Both machines can switched to off road speed, giving motor assistance to 19.5 MPH.

Frame sizes: Both machines, one size fits all. Hopefully!

Both machines supplied with rear pannier racks

Both machines are supplied with lighting systems. Oh yes, one more thing, the Wisper is fitted with stainless steel spokes. Also all nuts and bolts. ( Keep an eye on the spoke tension for the first 200 miles)

Grin factor: Mistral, Mona-lisa. Wisper, Cheshire cat!!

There you are Daz. Now you can see what extras you get for £350 on the Wisper.

Take your time choosing a machine, there's no rush.

All the best

Bob

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Front suspension: Mistral, fixed spring rate. Wisper, adjustable spring rate + full lock-out if needed.
Not adjustable spring rate but adjustable preload and adjustable damping, not that I really notice any difference apart from when locked out.

dazzie

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks Bob, great info! I'm a bit confused why the Wisper website doesn't have any pricing info any more so I've PM'd David to try and find out why...

Kal

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2008

Mistral Mirror:
I got my bike mirror at Halfords for about £5.. easy to fit.. just clamp to handlebar.

Log on to Yahoo synergieusergroup to see kalforty's photo.