The more I search the less I know

Helen C

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2014
The Kudos Tornado would be perfect for you,the combination of BPM motor plus torque sensor means you have the best hill climbing ability ,
KudosDave
Sorry to butt in on this thread - but in my thread you said the Tornado was a speed sensor. Which is it, please?
-H

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Helen...it just goes to prove that blokes can't multitask....trying to answer Pedelecs plus all the sport was just too much....I made a mistake on that posting,apologies.
The Tornado(26"wheel) and Typhoon(29"wheel) are speed sensor. The Arriba(26"wheel) and Escape(29"wheel)are torque sensor.
KudosDave

Reactions: Helen C

Beardedave

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2014
Polruan
RobF, thank you - you have confirmed my own thinking. Now I need to try one! BTW, do you know why Woosh say their bikes are not suitable for off road use?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they probably think the bottle battery is going to fly off on its own
they'll have an off road bike in September.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can wrap a couple of large cable-ties around the battery to hold it tight for off-road use. The Bottle battery mounts are not really strong enough on their own for the frequent big jolts when riding off-roads. They're OK on dirt trails as long as they're not too bumpy.

Beardedave

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2014
Polruan
It does look a lot like a very large shell, or a small rocket!
As for cable ties, they sure are useful things. I don't intend doing massive off-road trips, just be good to know I could trek along the local cliff path if the situation arose.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dave,I looked again at your original posting and it appeared to me that your No 1 priority was the ability to climb hills with minimum effort due to a knee problem,that was why I suggested the Kudos Tornado.
At £1095.00 I know of no other electric bike that has that ability.
If you can accept a lesser level of hillclimbing ability there are so many electric bikes you could choose,my own Kudos Tourer is an example.
Items such as mudguards,lights, are inexpensive additions,many customers enjoy customising their bikes and one of the demo bikes has them fitted,but the motor is not so easily changed.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Beardedave

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2014
Polruan
Sorry for the delay in replying (life, eh?). Dave, are you saying the Tornado is a much better hill climber than the Woosh bikes?

hoppy

May 25, 2010
Sorry for the delay in replying (life, eh?). Dave, are you saying the Tornado is a much better hill climber than the Woosh bikes?
Don't forget the various Tonaro options, with full throttle control, choice of gear and frame types, excellent hill climbing,superb backup and bargain prices at the moment! I've had one for over 3 years and still love it!

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
This is a good question, Tornado vs Big Bear, same motor? rear versus front, 10.4 ah versus 15 ah, 2x disc versus 1x disc 1x V brakes, no suspension seat post versus suspesion post, 24 speed versus 7 speed, non adjustable stem versus adjustable stem, no gaurds or rack versus both, 22kg versus 26 kg and 1,095 versus 849 gbp.

Thanks Hoppy, I forgot abouy the Tonaro.
If your knees are really bad and your hills are very steep ie. you can offer very little assist the Tonaro will out climb both of these with less effort from the rider but at a lower speed, with a throttle you can use it without pedalling as well.
They should all be a similar speed on the flat.

Last edited:

Beardedave

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2014
Polruan
I can walk/ride ok on the flat, hills can be very hard work some days! I want to be able to get out for some exercise, gradually build muscle tone, hopefully strengthen knees and know I won't find I can't pedal home 'cos my b****y knees have decided to turn traitor! I hadn't heard of the Tonaro, though the Esprit, with no cross bar to leap over, may suit me better. Can't find much by way of reviews - anyone out there got one?

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
I can walk/ride ok on the flat, hills can be very hard work some days! I want to be able to get out for some exercise, gradually build muscle tone, hopefully strengthen knees and know I won't find I can't pedal home 'cos my b****y knees have decided to turn traitor! I hadn't heard of the Tonaro, though the Esprit, with no cross bar to leap over, may suit me better. Can't find much by way of reviews - anyone out there got one?
From what you describe any of the 3 mentioned would do the trick.
I have a knee damaged in an industrial accident 20 years ago and it still causes issues, if you can ride enough you may find you knees will improve out of sight, I have arthritis in the hip so the step through is great. Defintately get a throttle if possible I dont have one and some times starting of in a bit to high a gear gets painful.

If you do a search the Esprit gets a fair few mentions.
I was LOL'ing about Hoppies post as I ride a Tonaro Esprit :)
It will climb hills very well and helping is not mandatory unless you are climbing a cliff, the 8 speed hub works well, I had some initial issues with the hub going out of adjustment but a lot of that was user abuse extreme off road full assist and full weight at very low speeds :)
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/ezee-sprint-compared-to-tonaro-esprit-2.16918/
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/tonaro-owners-unite.10421/
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/tonaro-esprit-review-and-buying-without-test-riding.13394/
Lots more out there if you use the search function.

D

Deleted member 4366

There's loads of reviews on here if you search back. They were popular about 2 1/2 years ago. They're a little bit on the heavy side, but have good torque - I'd say about the same as a Bosch or Kalkhoff crank-drive. Many come without a throttle, but there's a hidden connector for easy retro-fitting. The big hub-motors (BPM and CST) are more convenient.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dave...I bet you are more confused than ever....the only real way is to try these bikes,thats why any good bike dealer should offer test rides.
Within a short ride you will know whether it is the bike for you,a poor suited bike only gets more uncomfortable.
It would be very foolhardy to buy a bike that you haven't ridden....I get customers come to our warehouse who have made up their mind what bike they want and end up going away with a completely different bike.
You need to find a dealer with a good choice and impartial.
KudosDave

axolotl

Pedelecer
May 8, 2014
Sage advice from KudosDave there. I did a lot of searching in the early stages of researching a good bike and ended up more confused than ever. A few test-rides later, and the picture was a whole lot clearer.

Reactions: Kudoscycles

Beardedave

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2014
Polruan
You're right! I am going to do exactly that. The problem is, I live 3/4 of the way up a 14% hill; shop and quay are at the bottom. Hard to replicate that when test riding!