The nature of my game.

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Please allow me to introduce myself: I’ve been around this forum for many a long month; you helped solve what was puzzling me and put me on- a pedelec!

My story starts last September. Prompted by receipt of its insurance bill and with its service soon due, I wandered over to the garage sadly to contemplate my motorbike. It sat forlorn and almost unused since it had stopped its daily commute. Much loved it was but it was time to decide: it had to go.

I turned to my pushbike: a magnificent Holdsworth Mistral built up back in 1976. Lots of happy miles had been travelled on its saddle (Brooks of course), but now more than half-a-dozen caused pain rather than pleasure.

Pushing off onto the cycle path, I was pondering my problem when a truly not unattractive lady pedalled serenely past at twice my speed. Catching up (briefly) I noticed her rear wheel sheltered a strange disc. Surely this wasn’t an electric bicycle? The last I’d seen, some ten years ago, were nasty-looking mongrels I hoped never to be forced to mount. It was time to bring myself up to date.

A search of web sites the world over, but mainly this one and one in France (where I live) revealed that electric bikes have moved on. With the motorbike sold I visited several e-bike outlets, tried out their offering and six weeks ago took delivery of she who is well on the way to becoming my new beloved.

So thank you for your advice. The nature of my game is, if I may, to return the favour.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Lovely post AlMel and welcome to the forum.
And glad to hear that you are enjoying your new beloved :)

Lynda :)

PS.....what 'nationality' is she ? ;)

hech

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2011
argyll
Hi AlMel, you seem like a pleasant, erudite enough bloke, welcome to the forum. You will find that some of us here speak alot of nonsense, and others constant wisdom so hopefully you will find your place somewhere in between.:) But seriously, me and thirteen other members are planning a fortnight's e-bicycling holiday in France and were wondering where you would recommend to visit, and also if you could put us up for a week or so?

:)

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
Many thanks for your kind welcome.

Hech: wonderful idea! You will find the Alps wonderful cycling country this time of year. It would of course be with the greatest pleasure that we can host you all; you’ll find the luxury accommodation well worth a €1000 a week (per head). Special terms apply for private viewing of naked bike.

Funkylyn: the bike is French, a Moustache Samedi 29 9s with the 400 Wh battery. It is however topped by a very British Brooks which has migrated from old steed to new. If I’ve mastered the forum mechanics, pictures should be accessible below.

Alan.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
I saw one of these in the flesh the other day , moustache that is . The bars are a strange thing.
Nice bike though and welcome.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nice bike - how are you getting on with the suspension seatpost?

I see you run a single pannier bag.

From a safety point of view, it's a good idea to have the bag on the side facing the traffic because it gives you a bit more road width and presence in the eyes of drivers approaching from behind.

Assuming the bike is being used in France, I would mount the bag on the other side to the one in your pics.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The bars are a strange thing.
Those sort of bars are very comfortable in use though. I had an e-bike with similar bars which an experienced cyclist asked to try out as they'd never ridden an e-bike before. When he returned I expected him to comment on a e-power aspect, but all he said was, "What great handlebars!".

AlMel

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2013
Essonne, France
I’m not sure if I should reply here or move to another section, but here goes:

RobF:
The seat post: I can only compare it with my old Holdsworth with its simple, unsuspended post. This, regrettably for those who want to get a move on, opens a related chapter.
The Holdsworth is (of course!) made of Reynolds 531 double-butted steel tubing. With its Mistral geometry tailored for touring it is, on the road, more flexible and responsive than the Moustache’s aluminium frame.
However, on bumpier gravel and on poorly maintained cycle paths the Moustache, thanks to its suspended fork and parallelogram seat post, is much more comfortable despite the post being adjusted to being pretty firm.
The pannier bag: I have both bags, but unless necessary, run with just one; shouldering the two once parked up is rather cumbersome. I hadn’t thought of the appropriateness of the side on which it hangs; that’s the way its ancestor was carried way back in the day when music was music with Pink Floyd, Procul Harum, Sandy Denny… oh hang on, maybe that’s off subject. Anyway I suppose I just kept up the practice. You’re right of course.

flecc, Old_Dave & Cakey:
The bars are indeed comfortable and, at least to me, give the bike a distinct personality. However their shape renders difficult the positioning of accessories, particularly a smartphone. I’ve just had delivered a product which may be unique and answers this problem:

Mods
The seat post is a mod I negotiated upon purchase, along with Marathon Supreme tyres. The latter are the fault of this forum, where I read that they are the bees’ knees. Indeed, it was attempting to translate the meaning of ‘bees’ knees’ into French that must have battered my confused retailer into acquiescence. (Actually he provides good service and loves his product and if ever he reads this let him rest assured that he too is les genoux d’abeilles).

Subsequent modifications, other than the saddle, include changing the pedals for Shimano A530s (flat one side and SPD the other) and swopping the quick release skewers for Pitlocks.

Oh, and fitting a highly innovative security device as described by the label below.

It’s inspired by the concept so effectively applied by General Patton’s First United States Army Group.

So, Moustache and me: yes it is love!