The perfect innertube for hard to remove wheels?

TomB

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
popped into my local bike shop yesterday afternoon, excellent shop The Green Machine in Horwich Lancashire :) , and had a very interesting conversation with the owner about the trials and tribulations of owning and commuting on a hub geared bike... he mentioned that halfords (about four years ago) did some kind of, well basically, long thin cylindrical inner tube - a bit like the balloons you make funny animals out of.... which would be perfect for hard to remove wheels because you dont need to remove the wheel to replace an inner...

does anyone know anything about these?!

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
I seem to remember that the first motorcycle tubes were sausages rather than the modern circular.

Last edited:

TomB

Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
thanks maryinoxford.

does any one know if anyone does one for 28 inch wheels? or if the 26 ones would do in an emergency for a 28 inch wheel?

MaryinScotland

Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2006
Dumfries, SW Scotland
Hi Tom,

The Halfords one I had (and it was more than 4 years ago... more like 6 or 7) was supposed to be okay for the 700c wheels I had at the time, which is close to 28". The ends of the tube were tapered so they would overlap inside the wheel. The Sidewinder only seem to do one size, 24 - 26. The picture isn't very clear, but it probably has an overlap. However, it's at least possible that the whole thing is too short for a 28" wheel. Physically, I suppose, that would leave your wheel with a short "flat" section, which would make for a bit of a bumpy ride, but might be worthwhile in a get-you-home emergency.

At 75p for a tube (plus whatever the postage is, of course) it might be worth buying and trying.

Mary

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
However, it's at least possible that the whole thing is too short for a 28" wheel. Physically, I suppose, that would leave your wheel with a short "flat" section, which would make for a bit of a bumpy ride, but might be worthwhile in a get-you-home emergency.
The tube would expand like a balloon to fill the space. It may leave it a bit thin at the end and more vulnerable to puncture.

Footie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2007
Cornwall. PL27
I didn't know such a thing existed.
Thankyou for the information.
Just ordered one along with a spare mirror.
Even though I haven't had a p****** (don't want to temp providence by saying the word) I felt it would be sensible to have one for emergencies.
At least I won't have to worry about getting the wheel undone at the side of the road now if I can't repair the p****** ;)

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
The sidewinder tubes seem like a great idea but has anybody actually tried them? Can they be used permanently or are they intended as a quick "get you home repair"?

I'm starting a bike maintenance course in September and just praying I don't get a p*******e before then :)

Last question [and no doubt a real "newbie" one] what is it about hub gears that makes removing a wheel difficult?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Last question [and no doubt a real "newbie" one] what is it about hub gears that makes removing a wheel difficult?
Normally just the disconnection of the cable that operates the change, as on the Nexus hubs, or the actuator housing on the older SRAM hub gears. The difficulty varies by model, but it's not normally a terrible job, just an extra one making the wheel removal take longer.

In many cases the wheel can be slipped out of the frame dropouts enough to swap an inner tube through the gap on the non-chain side without disconnecting the gear cable or actuator, the rest of the inner tube fitting performed with the wheel in place.

prState

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada
Er ...you can get one of these on without dropping the wheel, but then how do you get the old circular tube out without destroying it? Unless you plan to dispose of the old tube on the first flat, seem like you'd have to cut it in half to get it off then.

Unless, you are going to use them permanently and replace one for the other.

RedSkywalker

Pedelecer
Jun 16, 2008
Er ...you can get one of these on without dropping the wheel, but then how do you get the old circular tube out without destroying it? Unless you plan to dispose of the old tube on the first flat, seem like you'd have to cut it in half to get it off then.

Unless, you are going to use them permanently and replace one for the other.
That's what I was thinking of doing - it's many, many years since I last mended a puncture and I don't fancy the idea of trying to remove a rear wheel and then mending a puncture outside in the wet so the idea of just slipping one of these tubes into the wheel seems ideal but what worries me is if it is so simple how come only one company is makng them, why aren't they more popular and why do they seem so cheap compared to other makes? 75p for a tube!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't fancy the idea of trying to remove a rear wheel and then mending a puncture outside in the wet
I quick reminder of something I'm constantly posting, there's no need to remove a wheel to repair a puncture once any rim brake is released. It's easily done alongside the wheel when it's in, the non-chain side on a rear wheel of course.

Having repaired countless numbers on a daily basis in the trade as a junior I never removed a wheel unless a tube or tyre was needed, sometimes not even then.