The Times launches a campaign to improve the safety of cycling

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
I thought that pedelecs members might be interested in this - it is technically a paywalled article but since it is a campaign to get the word out I don't think that copyright should be an issue:

The Times today launches a campaign to improve the safety of cycling in Britain’s towns and cities. It comes in the wake of a serious accident involving a young Times journalist

The reality with any major issue is that it only truly touches you when it comes close to home. However regularly you may cycle on Britain’s city streets and however aware you are of the risks of doing so, it is not until you have seen one of your closest friends and colleagues stretchered off the tarmac from beneath the wheels of a lorry only yards from the office that the vulnerability of cyclists hits home.
Mary Bowers is a news reporter at The Times. She joined the paper as a graduate trainee in September 2009, though her beaming smile and effusive personality were common sights around the office from previous roles as a researcher on the comment and foreign desks.
With a passion for social affairs investigations and witty features, she has a writing style that is as distinctive as her sharp, quirky dress sense. She also has a remarkable singing voice, and it is an honour to have been one of those lucky enough to perform with her on several occasions in the folk clubs of London.
Yet it is only by a hair’s breadth that we are still able to talk about Mary in the present tense. Her survival to this point, now almost three months since her accident in London at 9.30am on Friday, November 4, is down to the passers-by who stopped and called the emergency services.
It is down to the paramedics who arrived on the scene within three minutes, to the fire crews who cut Mary and her mangled bike from beneath the wheels of the lorry, and to the doctors and nurses in the intensive care unit of one of the city’s busiest hospitals. But Mary cannot thank them herself. Not yet. Not for a long time. Possibly never. Because, though she is stable, Mary is still not conscious and remains in a trauma unit. Her broken legs, arm and pelvis are slowly healing, but other damage sustained during complications in her treatment, almost inevitable after so traumatic an injury, will be far harder to overcome, though she is making slow progress.
There are also people Mary would not want to thank. There are the authorities who have neglected to ensure that junctions like those on The Highway in Wapping — or countless others where cyclists have been maimed and killed in Britain — are made safe for cars, lorries and cyclists to co-exist safely.
Mary, a news reporter, would be first to ask why it is not mandatory for lorries driving on city streets to be fitted with sensors and mirrors to pick up cyclists in their blind spots. Or why training for cyclists and drivers on how to share the road responsibly is so poor. Or why some junctions are so dangerous that jumping a red light can actually be a safer option than lining up alongside HGVS at the lights like a racetrack starting grid. Or why London trails so far behind cities such as Amsterdam and Copenhagen in terms of the infrastructure and legislation to protect vulnerable cyclists and to help the drivers who are trying to avoid them.
But such questions are not a priority at the moment for Mary’s sister, Laura Fawcett, whose constant support by Mary’s bedside has been a source of strength not only to Mary, but also to the huge circle of friends, colleagues and loved ones who are guarding her in their thoughts.
Laura said: “I’m angry that the accident happened and that it was even possible for it to happen. Mary’s nurses said to me that, if I’d seen what they see all the time in intensive care, I would never cycle again. It is just so random and cruel, but it feels like so many of these things can be prevented by increasing awareness and changing road structures.
“Mary is such a loving person and a real people-person, which attracts so many people to her and is why so many people she had come to know around the world are concerned about the tragedy and horror of what happened.”
There are many families who are not able to visit their relatives in hospital, because they did not survive. Debbie Dorling’s husband, Brian, was killed in October last year on his way to work. “My husband had a human right to cycle to work and come back home again alive,” she said.
As a point of comparison: since 2001, 576 British soldiers have been killed in Afghanistan and Iraq; 1,275 cyclists have died on British streets. The latest data show there were 1,850 deaths or serious injuries in the first half of last year, a 12 per cent rise on the year before. Britain leads the world in competitive cycling; it is time that we did the same for the cyclists on our streets.
Drivers and cyclists need to realise that co-existing safely benefits everyone, in terms of public health, traffic, pollution, and congestion on our roads, trains and buses.
The Times is launching a cycle safety campaign not simply to call for safer roads, but to outline exactly how that can be achieved, in a way that will hold transport authorities and politicians to account. Too many cyclists have died on the streets of Britain. Too many families have lost their sons, daughters, fathers, mothers, husbands and wives.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
This article is just full of sentimentality and I hope that if they do launch a campaign that it is far more factual and to the point than this article. I cannot see what Marys writing style and quirky dress sense has anything to do with making the roads more safe for cyclists.

Mary may have been responsible for her own accident as far as we know, because this article does not tell us what happened.

I hope Mary makes a full recovery and I hope this campaign does some good but articles like this are a waste of column space in my opinion.

Steve

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
This article is just full of sentimentality and I hope that if they do launch a campaign that it is far more factual and to the point than this article. I cannot see what Marys writing style and quirky dress sense has anything to do with making the roads more safe for cyclists.

Mary may have been responsible for her own accident as far as we know, because this article does not tell us what happened.

I hope Mary makes a full recovery and I hope this campaign does some good but articles like this are a waste of column space in my opinion.

Steve
Sorry Steve, I do not agree.
When you start a campaign like this, the majority of the public will not care, a good proportion will be anti-cyclist and horrified by the fact that in order to allocate road space to cyclists, 'their' road space for cars will have to be reduced. (See the Chelsea Embankment for instance where half the road width has been given over to cyclists)
To get the ball rolling, you need human interest to engage the uninterested, and a hint of accusation to silence the opposition.
'Make the road safe for cycling Mary' will have far greater impact than 'Make roads safer for bikes'

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
If London can`t get it right with all their Cycle friendly policies and cycle networks , what hope is there for the rest of the Country . My town in S.Wales has start boxes at lights only and has just spent £30,000 on a dozen fancy plastic pavement bollards shaped like the pieces of a jigsaw made of plastic . One is broken already , should have gone for metal .

Last edited:

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Too many cyclists have died on the streets of Britain.
I'm with you 100% Alistair. While our roads may be statistically safer than in many other countries, driving standards are deteriorating continually. Speeding and aggressive driver behaviour are evident everywhere these days due to the lack of any serious policing of our roads and until we somehow get the message across to the criminal element who practise such behaviour, things will continue to get worse.

Any campaign designed to protect those who choose to get around on two wheels gets my vote.

Indalo

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
To be fair, the injured cyclist was one of them and it happened right outside their offices so a little emotion, or sentimentality as you put it, seems reasonable. I have in the past muttered to myself that something only becomes an issue to some journalists when it effects them personally but in this case I am willing to let it slide. If it helps the cause then that will be a good thing, no?

10mph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 13, 2010
England
The Times is launching a cycle safety campaign not simply to call for safer roads, but to outline exactly how that can be achieved, in a way that will hold transport authorities and politicians to account.
I briefly saw The Times when visiting an elderly relative this morning. The front page containing only this article was striking and we thought very unusual for The Times. The Page 2 leading editorial was on this topic, and there was a double page spread on pages 8 and 9. Unfortunately, I did not have time to read this to learn just what they are proposing as to how it can be achieved.

Can anyone provide a summary of any useful ideas from pages 8 and 9?

Edit...
Well I have answered my own question. I quote from the Times website

The Times has launched a public campaign and 8-point manifesto calling for cities to be made fit for cyclists:

1. Trucks entering a city centre should be required by law to fit sensors, audible truck-turning alarms, extra mirrors and safety bars to stop cyclists being thrown under the wheels.
  2. The 500 most dangerous road junctions must be identified, redesigned or fitted with priority traffic lights for cyclists and Trixi mirrors that allow lorry drivers to see cyclists on their near-side.
  3. A national audit of cycling to find out how many people cycle in Britain and how cyclists are killed or injured should be held to underpin effective cycle safety.
  4. Two per cent of the Highways Agency budget should be earmarked for next generation cycle routes, providing £100 million a year towards world-class cycling infrastructure. Each year cities should be graded on the quality of cycling provision.
  5. The training of cyclists and drivers must improve and cycle safety should become a core part of the driving test.
  6. 20mph should become the default speed limit in residential areas where there are no cycle lanes.
  7. Businesses should be invited to sponsor cycleways and cycling super-highways, mirroring the Barclays-backed bicycle hire scheme in London.
  8. Every city, even those without an elected mayor, should appoint a cycling commissioner to push home reforms.

Last edited: