The Tonaro Bighit and Cargo cycle trailer

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi ,not sure if theres much about the tonaro and cargo cycle trailer ,but i have put a vid up on youtube that Tonaro lovers may like or not ,it shows a little about my camping trip in shropshire ,i thought it would be a really good adventure if i could travell to shropshire on my Tonaro Bighit with tent and all the gear and a spare battery ,and was i amazed ,what a double act these two made ,best wishes Brian.
http://youtu.be/TOlmvCK71o0

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Brian,

Well, thats very impressive, looks like you got a really good deal with the cargo trailer.
That is an excellent range you got with such a load.
Lovely campsite too it seems, I am well into camping canalside this year, have just come back from the Avon and Kennet....just love the look of those narrowboats.
Great that you are still having such fun with your Tonaro Bighit, i am still loving my T.Esprit.

Best wishes,
Lynda :)

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Excellent setup - I've been meaning to get a trailer for ages, but didn't really know if the single wheel one was suitable. Now, I'm thinking it might be, but one thing the small twin-wheeled ones have in their favour is being able to be rolled like a handcart off the bike.

D

Deleted member 4366

Nice to hear from you again Brian. You should have mentioned that you were going there, and I would have come and joined you for a drink.

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
Pleased to hear you enjoyed your jaunt over to Shropshire. Your trailer looks a great find.
I know that bit of Shropshire a little as we've boated through the Grindley Brook staircase a couple of times. The other year was on our way up to the Anderton boat lift, an amazing bit of Victorian engineering.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Pleased to hear you enjoyed your jaunt over to Shropshire. Your trailer looks a great find.
I know that bit of Shropshire a little as we've boated through the Grindley Brook staircase a couple of times. The other year was on our way up to the Anderton boat lift, an amazing bit of Victorian engineering.
Hi ,sure is a beautiful place i was camped right bye the Grindley locks and spent hours watching the canal boats passing through there different levels and causing quite a current and no amusement to waiting canal boats yet to pass ,and yes the trailer was a relly good find ,but i read about it first on this very forum whilst looking back at old footage and it was mentioned there ,so to ever you are thanks a million
i also see the guy on ebay has just put his price up from £59 to £79 ,sods law ,very best wishes Brian.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi Brian,

Well, thats very impressive, looks like you got a really good deal with the cargo trailer.
That is an excellent range you got with such a load.
Lovely campsite too it seems, I am well into camping canalside this year, have just come back from the Avon and Kennet....just love the look of those narrowboats.
Great that you are still having such fun with your Tonaro Bighit, i am still loving my T.Esprit.

Best wishes,
Lynda :)
Hi Lyne so you joined the Tonaroes ,well is it good ? are you getting good milage and have you mastered the gears ,or do i see a canal barge floating your way ,i always said that the Tonaro range was simply the best and it is ,i also love the canal boats i use the tow path everyday to work and spend ages dreaming of buying one ,just a fools dream i think or maybe another adventure ,i must check on your canal trip ,best wishes Lyne Brian.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Nice to hear from you again Brian. You should have mentioned that you were going there, and I would have come and joined you for a drink.

Hi and nice to hear from you too my friend ,its been a while and many adventures have i been on ,i got involved in the ship at Mostyn ,the Duke at Lancaster the one that rests there looking sorry ,what a discrace to be left to rot , but things may change and it may be saved ,lets hope so ,i hope they dont want me to paint it by myself very best wishes Brian

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Lyne so you joined the Tonaroes ,well is it good ? are you getting good milage and have you mastered the gears ,or do i see a canal barge floating your way ,i always said that the Tonaro range was simply the best and it is ,i also love the canal boats i use the tow path everyday to work and spend ages dreaming of buying one ,just a fools dream i think or maybe another adventure ,i must check on your canal trip ,best wishes Lyne Brian.
Its great Brian, Ive had it nearly a year so far and have cycled several of the Via Verdes in southern Spain, inland Alentejo in Portugal, canal tow paths in Brittany and lots more in the UK.
It has never let me down and has got up every hill Ive tried it on, including the steep one up to the walled town of Marvao in Portugal.
Range so far has been variable but recently have done 25miles and still had 2 lights on, I dont use the throttle much but wouldnt want a bike without one and I usually cycle on medium power. I LOVE the hub gears would never have anything other now.

Im just planning my next trip and have already bookmarked the site you stayed at by the canal, then cant decide where to go after that but its great fun planning :)

Best wishes Lynda :)

Shroppielass

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2008
Shrewsbury
Hi ,sure is a beautiful place i was camped right bye the Grindley locks and spent hours watching the canal boats passing through there different levels
Ah you gongoozler you! I'm not being rude. Its an expression used for people who watch the activity on canals usually without participating. Staircase locks like Grindley Brook and Caen Hill are popular places for this.

We managed to draw a big crowd of gongoozlers one sunny Bank Holiday when we and another boat got wedged in the lock in the centre of Bradford on Avon!
But that's a long story and no ebikes were involved.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Ah you gongoozler you! I'm not being rude. Its an expression used for people who watch the activity on canals usually without participating. Staircase locks like Grindley Brook and Caen Hill are popular places for this.

We managed to draw a big crowd of gongoozlers one sunny Bank Holiday when we and another boat got wedged in the lock in the centre of Bradford on Avon!
But that's a long story and no ebikes were involved.
Hi shroppielass ,lol i have never been called a gonggoozler befor ,but now i have an image of you canal folk sailing past saying ay up another gongo not participating ,lol i had better look like im buisy ,
Feel free to post your non ebike adventures i love to read them and i am quiet sure other members would like to hear about your stuck in the lock adventure ,thanks for your funny story lol best wishes Brian.
Hi again i have had to get out of bed to come and edit this as i cant sleep for laughing i wish i could draw because i have this vision now of the Canal dwellers approaching the locks and all 30 gongoozlers running to hide behind the same bush shouting hide the canal dwellers are coming ,so as not to labeled a gongo ,lol lol sorry its just made me chuckle ,canal dwellers and gongoes , any way its goodnight from me .

Last edited: